What Is The Last Film You Watched? (Older Films)

Mr. Breathmask

22 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

Maybe that should be the age limit that a director is allowed to work in?

and retire gracefully at their peak of their career?

By the way, still can't bring myself to watch the BFG!

Just now, Stefancos said:

So never watch Pixar!

This is another thing.

Not that I'm so keen in computer animation films anyway lately (apart from the first pixar films which was something new and exciting)

Wonderstruck

Big fan of Todd Haynes but I didn’t find anything particularly special about this one. The cutting between 1977 and 1927 wasn’t as nuanced as it could have been, and a lot of the cinematography in the 77 scenes was just ugly. Burwell’s score was lovely and somber in parts, per his usual style, but otherwise pretty standard flick. Julianne Moore and Michelle Williams are top billed, and both maybe have 10 minutes of screen time, with the former having literally zero lines. Didn’t find the child actor good enough to carry the film. 

The Batman Superman Movie: World's Finest

It's technically not a 'movie', just three episodes from "Superman: The Animated Series" cut together as a DTV movie. But it still works story-wise and it's just as entertaining. The art deco animation from "Batman" has been softened down, especially the newer Joker design. The voice acting is still exceptional, especially Kevin Conroy, Mark Hamill, and Dana Delany's Lois Lane. The musical score by Michael McCuistion is still very entertaining, reprising Shirley Walker's various themes to great effect.

Rather puzzled WB did not issue a remastered version to cash in on 2016's Batman v. Superman: Dawn of Justice

I am legend.

Well, that was weird. I loved the first half, but the second half was really, really disappointing. Suffice it to say I found it all too sentimental and improbable. Also, why didn't he even try to cure that dog of his? I thought he really liked that dog. Oh, and there's also a scene where Smith does push-ups and literally pants in the same way over five times. Lame.

James Newton Howard's score was short, but I really liked what I heard a lot. Some of it reminded me of a piece by Thomas Tallis that I just discovered.

The Red Shoes

It's still a triumph of Technicolor process and filmmaking in general. But the iconic dance sequence alone makes the film worth buying... a masterpiece in itself. The late Jack Cardiff outdid himself here.

The Little Mermaid (1989)

A childhood favorite revisited. It never fails to cheer me up, the animation still holds up, and the joyous musical score elevates the film beyond being a mere animated film. It's still quite magical and a bar that John Clements and Roger Musker have not reached since.

2 hours ago, Matt C said:

The Red Shoes

It's still a triumph of Technicolor process and filmmaking in general. But the iconic dance sequence alone makes the film worth buying... a masterpiece in itself. The late Jack Cardiff outdid himself here.

The Little Mermaid (1989)

A childhood favorite revisited. It never fails to cheer me up, the animation still holds up, and the joyous musical score elevates the film beyond being a mere animated film. It's still quite magical and a bar that John Clements and Roger Musker have not reached since.

Yeah but it’s got classic old school Disney racism and perversion. 

13 hours ago, Stefancos said:

Maybe that should be the age limit that a director is allowed to work in?

You peaked, sir, time to collect your belongings and leave the premises. You have two hours.

I see a movie in this!

14 hours ago, Matt C said:

The Red Shoes

Fuckin' A!!! :thumbup:

It's one the greatest ever films ever made, ever, by anyone, ever!

The English Patient

What a load of nuthin'. Much like Moonlight, I think this one was made on a bet and Harvey whatshisface strong-armed his way to a Best Picture triumph. Gotta say though, Juliette Binoche was beautiful. I think Emma Watson resembles her slightly.

Otherwise, I should have watched Sack Lunch instead.

On ‎2018‎-‎03‎-‎07 at 6:00 PM, Fancyarcher said:

The Big Lebowski - Celebrated its 20th anniversary a few day ago. Still a classic. 8.5 / 10

Ok, I must admit I never watched this movie.

20th anniversary... Ok I will try to find it.

11 minutes ago, Bespin said:

Ok, I must admit I never watched this movie.

20th anniversary... Ok I will try to find it.

I'm heavily assuming it's quite easy to find in Quebec. 

9 minutes ago, Bespin said:

You assume that based on what? :huh:

I'm pretty sure I must have seen it in a Quebec airport once. I guess I'm just going off alleged "common sense". It seems obvious, maybe not so much.