What Is The Last Film You Watched? (Older Films)

Mr. Breathmask

Carmen Jones

Dorothy Dandridge is on fire here. Georges Bizet's musical score (with lyrics by Rodgers & Hammerstein) is brash and entertaining, while Dandridge is ably supported by Pearl Bailey and Harry Belafonte. Otto Preminger's direction is pretty good, although the elaborate song-and-dance numbers are hamstrung by a mostly stationary camera. I wish Preminger had taken some notes on the camerawork in The Red Shoes (which was filmed six years prior) and incorporated some of that into Jones .

open-water-3-cage-dive-2017.86940.jpg

Return Of The Jedi, The Godfather 3, X-Men: The Last Stand, Terminator 3, Open Water 3, ... Why is the third movie always the worst?!

5 hours ago, Alexcremers said:

Return Of The Jedi, The Godfather 3, X-Men: The Last Stand, Terminator 3, Open Water 3, ... Why is the third movie always the worst?!

Why do you watch such films?

i thought you had good taste.

Gandhi

Well, that was at least better than that wretched thing I watched last night. Could have sliced about 30 minutes from it though. Had a real David Lean look and feel, which was nice to see. Anyone else notice a real Indian theme represented in the early 80s like this film, Octopussy, A Passage to India and Temple of Doom? Must have been a popular locale back then.

43 minutes ago, Denise Bryson said:

Gandhi

Well, that was at least better than that wretched thing I watched last night. Could have sliced about 30 minutes from it though. Had a real David Lean look and feel, which was nice to see. Anyone else notice a real Indian theme represented in the early 80s like this film, Octopussy, A Passage to India and Temple of Doom? Must have been a popular locale back then.

You're leaving one out ...

2 hours ago, Philippe Roaché said:

And yet, when Drax and I indulge in fun kitschy flicks, you use it against us.

Not the same!

23 hours ago, Bespin said:

Ok, I must admit I never watched this movie.

20th anniversary... Ok I will try to find it.

Funny movie, but honestly it's a little bit far from my element. ;)

2 hours ago, Denise Bryson said:

Gandhi

Good film, though I agree, it runs a little long.

America, and the West in general had a pretty big fascination with India in the 70s-early 80s.

13 hours ago, Alexcremers said:

open-water-3-cage-dive-2017.86940.jpg

STAR TREK III,

FRIDAY THE THIRTEENTH 3-D,

JAWS 3-D,

GOLDFINGER,

REVENGE OF THE SITH,

INDIANA JONES AND THE LAST CRUSADE,

SUPERMAN III,

SON OF FRANKENSTEIN,

ESCAPE FROM THE PLANET OF THE APES,

Not all "third films" are the worst.

Ghosts of girlfriends past.

I had wanted to watch this one ever since it aired last Halloween, but only got around to doing so now. Really liked it, especially after all the crap I've been watching this week. Uncle Wayne's character doesn't really make much sense to me and I found it rather hard to like the main character and his stupid accent, but other than that, I really enjoyed the whole thing. Jennifer Garner and Emma Stone are always pleasing to the ear.

The score was very nice too. I just can't enough of hopelessly optimistic romantic music.

3 hours ago, Richard said:

ESCAPE FROM THE PLANET OF THE APES,

I didn't know this was considered much better than the first one. I don't agree, of course. 

SUPERMAN III,

:blink:

This too puzzles me. I didn't know Superman III was regarded as the best of the series. I've always heard it was the worst. Well what do you know, huh? However, I don't agree.

REVENGE OF THE SITH,

That's the sixth Star Wars movie, Richard.

JAWS 3-D,

Sigh...

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0085750/?ref_=nv_sr_1

It's possible that there is an exception but you need to do better than this, Richard.