What Is The Last Film You Watched? (Older Films)

Mr. Breathmask

True. Despite how good Brosnan was as Bond, the only truly memorable outing from him was Goldeneye. The next two, which I always get mixed up, were just OK (though by no means bad), and Die Another Day is perhaps best remembered as the one to forget.

13 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

Ive always preferred Tomorrow Never Dies.

Yes!  The only downside of that movie is that it could've used 100% more of Jonathan Pryce hamming his heart out

Star Trek V: The Final Frontier (Aka Shatners Folly)

Ok, this is undeniable a bad film. The premise itself doesn't work for Star Trek. "The Enterprise looking for God" is a pitch that should have never been greenlit. The script, by Shatner and some other people has many points of interest, but often misses its marks and doesn make a lot of sense. 

The cinematography is good, but some of the set design, make up, costumes is dodgy. The special effects are incredibly second rate. Even TNG in its still modestly budgeted second season had better starship flyby shots. They should have probably hired the TV guys and would have had better results.

Also, as always with Shatner this is mostly about Shatner. He retains Kirk's pessimistic outlook on his own live atleast "I've alway known...i'll die alone" but it also has him climbing El Capitan like a 24 year athletic stud! And he doesn't reign in his own performance at al at any point. 

But....

Ok...ummm...this is the first ever Trek film I ever saw. Not long after falling in love with TNG. I knew nothing of this crew save some names. And I was a teenager. So I loved this! 
Its a bad film, and its bad Star Trek. But that kinda makes it watchable. It feels like TOS season 3 on a better budget and with a cast thats now utterly iconic. Shatner has poor judgement, but he certainly seemed to believe in his story and it shows. The supporting cast is very good, if often wasted (did David Warner need money). The action is actually directed rather well. And there are a few moments with some real dramatic power. Sybok might come out of nowhere, but Luckenbill brings the passionate but blind devotion of a zealot to the role. I believed his desire to find Heaven even though the concept is wrong for Roddenberry's Atheist TOS world. (There's no way Santa-God was ever not gonna be an imposter).
Shat might ham is up, but Nimoy and Kelley as fine as ever. I like the fact that the trio spend most of the film together, which they only do here. The campfire stuff is a bit obvious, but its done by three actors who know their characters and now have a pitch perfect understanding of each others delivery. The rest of the regulars fare less well though. Probably because Shat didn't give a fuck about them. But even then. TOS has always been about Kirk, Spock and Bones.

Also, Shatner had the good sense to ask Jerry Goldsmith to come back and score this film. Its superb. Slightly cheesy synth as he often does. But no one is better in finding the heart of a bad film, and composing the film is should have been.

I cannot defend this film, intellectually. I can also not recommend it to any "normie", but I'll gladly watch it.

Also, the fifth Star Trek film is infinitely better than the fifth Star Wars film.

Johnny English.

Not bad, though I found it too absurd and it definitely shouldn't have lasted longer. I understand that they're trying to mock James Bond films, but there has to be a limit. I liked Natalie Imbruglia.

And I liked all the music.

It's so sad that Die Another Day doesn't even work as parody.  What a weird movie.  Way overlong and overstuffed.  At times deeply silly and at others overserious.  Give me the silliest Moores over that any day.

A.I. Artificial Intelligence (2001)

Criminally underrated movie. Flawed, no doubt, but its ambition and scope is undeniable.

**** out of *****

Transformers: Age of Extinction

Fuck me dead, this was long. And it felt its unnecessary length too. At least DOTM had a stunning final battle in Chicago to make up for its own bafflingly long runtime. Eh, look, overall it was okay. The China lip service is just weird, but it paid dividends for Paramount, so what do I know? While watching this I thought Stanley Tucci might have made a decent Tony Stark in another universe.  The idea of humans reverse engineering their own Transformers is neat, but it goes nowhere. The blonde chick (also from Bates Motel) resembles Julie Christie a lot. One last knight to go...

Barry Lyndon

One of those films that threatens to be boring as batshit but oddly never delivers on that promise. Lead character is a snakey opportunist, and Ryan O'Neal has the right amount of dead in his eyes to convey that. You can tell Kubrick loved those Zeiss lenses - such creamy bokeh. Interesting how Netflix users collectively rate this 1.5 out of 5. Was always rated PG in Australia, so I was surprised to see some titties.

5 minutes ago, Richard said:

Is that all you can say, Jerry? What about john Alcott's cinematography?

33 minutes ago, Margo Channing said:

You can tell Kubrick loved those Zeiss lenses - such creamy bokeh.

He captures those countrysides with a lot of dreaminess. Might even be his best looking film.

It seems to be a bit forgotten though. Costume dramas are a hard sell these days. If it were made in 2005, I could imagine Keira Knightley playing his wife.

6 minutes ago, Margo Channing said:

Costume dramas are a hard sell these days. 

Almost everything is hard to sell these days. Kids want movies about superpowers.

Transformers: The Last Knight

It was okay. Still ridiculously long but a bit of an improvement over AOE storywise. I really dug all the Arthurian Legend stuff serving as the backdrop, even though it didn't really mean much. Anyone else think Marky Mark has a sissy voice? Odd sorta bloke. The only thing that pissed me off was the obnoxious aspect ratio changes. I'm not kidding, they had like three aspect ratios for this - just fucking pick one!

As for these movies as a whole, I think they've copped a bad rap for just being what they are - noisy, bravado special effects outlets for teen boys. Almost reminds me of what made me such an ID4 fanatic in '96, although Emmerich seemed to lose that mojo, which resulted in his own sequel being so limp. Michael Bay cops a lot for his hyper assault on the senses, but ya gotta admire the guy's big kid-like imagination, as if he loved playing with fire crackers and cap guns when he was a primary schooler.

They're harmless fun and I'm keen to see what Bumblebee (my favourite autobot!) has in store.

1 hour ago, Margo Channing said:

Transformers: The Last Knight

As for these movies as a whole, I think they've copped a bad rap for just being what they are - noisy, bravado special effects outlets for teen boys. .

Seen and enjoyed anew through the eyes of a manchild. 

The Day After Tomorrow

Screw it this is my favorite Emmerich movie and I don’t care who knows it.  Probably my favorite dumb disaster movie period.  Weather disasters have always been my favorite subgenre.  This and Twister are the finest I guess.  Any other good ones?

12 minutes ago, Koray Savas said:

Dante’s Peak

Agreed!  A fun one.  Not really a weather disaster movie but it’s close enough with all the effects volcanoes have on the atmosphere/environment.

But like I don’t count San Andreas.

On 6/19/2018 at 2:06 PM, Margo Channing said:

Transformers: Age of Extinction

Fuck me dead, this was long. And it felt its unnecessary length too. At least DOTM had a stunning final battle in Chicago to make up for its own bafflingly long runtime. Eh, look, overall it was okay. The China lip service is just weird, but it paid dividends for Paramount, so what do I know? While watching this I thought Stanley Tucci might have made a decent Tony Stark in another universe.  The idea of humans reverse engineering their own Transformers is neat, but it goes nowhere. The blonde chick (also from Bates Motel) resembles Julie Christie a lot. One last knight to go...

Feel free to skip that one. The constantly shifting aspect ratio (1.66:1 to 1.78:1 to 2.40:1) alone makes me dizzy.

1 hour ago, Koray Savas said:

I mean, they're all just natural disaster flicks. How many are specifically about weather?

Perfect Storm (= best score).