What Is The Last Film You Watched? (Older Films)

Mr. Breathmask

Event Horizon - sure, the influences here (Alien, The Shining, Hellraiser etc) aren't exactly hidden. But the idea of a spaceship that has literally 'been to Hell and back' and is now a portal to same is an interesting one, and there are some good jump-scares and decent 'ship/crew in crisis' mayhem. And Sam Neill adds class.      

2 minutes ago, Sweeping Strings said:

Event Horizon - sure, the influences here (Alien, The Shining, Hellraiser etc) aren't exactly hidden. But the idea of a spaceship that has literally 'been to Hell and back' and is now a portal to same is an interesting one, and there are some good jump-scares and decent 'ship/crew in crisis' mayhem. And Sam Neill adds class.      

Sweep, you forgot OUTLAND.

It's been a long time since I saw this film. I remember not liking it (far too derivative), but I'm willing to give it another go, on your recommendation.

14 minutes ago, Brundlefly said:

War of the Worlds is at least 1000000 times better than Independance Day, because they did not listen to you!

The original? I suppose there's some debate to be had there. The Spielberg remake? Absolutely not.

4 minutes ago, Sweeping Strings said:

Have never seen Outland, to be honest. Connery and Peter Hyams, yes? 

Indeed. It continues his "cynicism with big business" themes started with CAPRICORN ONE. Critics have called it "High Moon", and one can't argue with that, but it looks, and sounds, good. JG's score is great: HOT WATER is a real 80s highlight.

2 hours ago, Cherry Pie That'll Kill Ya said:

When Paul W.S. Anderson showed some sliver of promise.

Not at all. The direction was the weakest element in a movie that has otherwise great production design and old skool FX.

The super early CGI was another weak element.

6 minutes ago, Cherry Pie That'll Kill Ya said:

What does a director do anyway? Just tells the actors to stand here, sit there, move this way, say the line that way. Tells the DP to point the camera that way. Yeah alright.

Seriously?!

3 hours ago, Brundlefly said:

Yeah, and that's what the film's problem is. It is drowned in style.

Was it David Lynch who said he dislikes it when the director ostensibly stands between the audience and the film waving his arms, as if to say "Look at me! I'm directing!"

20 minutes ago, Cherry Pie That'll Kill Ya said:

He's right, too.

First of all, I don't think David Lynch ever said that. Secondly, it's entirely subjective. To you, Horner's Dynamic Range and Chen, a strong style is ballast and distracting, but keep in mind, not everybody is like you guys. In art, if you don't develop a strong and unique style, you'll end up being average. 

16 minutes ago, Alexcremers said:

To you, Horner's Dynamic Range and Chen, a strong style is ballast and distracting.

Oh, absolutely not. I live for stylistic devices in films. All I'm saying is don't overdo it: don't use the stylization as a buffer between the audience and the story.

13 minutes ago, Cherry Pie That'll Kill Ya said:

directors just execute the producer's vision anyway.

We tend to think about contemporary filmmaking as much more producer-dependant but that's not really the case any more than it was in earlier decades. Even with Marvel, perhaps the most overbearing studio, The Avengers and Age of Ultron are Wheadon films, Iron Man is a Faverou film, and Guardians of the Galaxy is A Gunn film through-and-through.

Besides, most big-name auteur directors are also co-producers on their films.

MV5BMDMyOWVhNzgtYzFmMy00YWI0LWJhMjItMWRi

Great late 70's conspiracy thriller with an equally great Yves Montand, inspired by the assassination of JFK. After a fictional president is assassinated, a determined, tough prosecutor investigates the emerging conspiracy behind it.

1 hour ago, Horner's Dynamic Range said:

God? He's too busy conceiving the holy Avatar saga.

It is holy. It is blessed by God himselves.

14 minutes ago, bollemanneke said:

Ghost.

What a stupid, STUPID movie.

This was my second Maurice Jarre score. Nice main theme, but awfully similar to Gorillas In The Mist.

GET OFF MY TRAIN

Loving Vincent (2017)

Gorgeously animated Van Gogh biopic slightly hampered by its somewhat clunky narrative structure. Well worth watching if only for its visuals. Decent voice acting and a fine score by Clint Mansell as well. It’s more an experiment than an actual film. 

**** out of *****

39 minutes ago, bollemanneke said:

Ghost.

What a stupid, STUPID movie.

This was my second Maurice Jarre score. Nice main theme, but awfully similar to Gorillas In The Mist.

I loved it back in the day when I was a teen.

Watching Barry Lyndon. It's very hard to focus on the narration with that damn pesky Grenadiers March and the Königgrätzer distracting me all the time.

3 hours ago, Holko said:

Watching Barry Lyndon. It's very hard to focus on the narration with that damn pesky Grenadiers March and the Königgrätzer distracting me all the time.

Fuck the Grenadiers March! What about John Alcott's breathtaking cinematography?

Tinker Bell (2008) - I don't know if Tinker Bell needed an origin story, but this is a cute enough movie that is largely about friendship and skews pretty young, so pretty good for my nearly 3-year-old.  It was a bit of fun.  We'll watch the others eventually.  I was reasonably impressed by McNeely's score - especially in light of a direct to video budget - but not enough to get obsessive about it or even pay the $20 Intrada price.  Looked for a cheaper download, but it looks like the score is disc-only, so OH WELL.  Seven out of ten.

Peter Pan (1953) - A fun one.  My kid liked most of the stuff in this with the kids, not as much of the stuff with the pirates.  A lot of stuff in the middle that doesn't really fly in 2018, obviously.  Another movie that I'm sure I saw as a kid, although my only memories at this point are the You Can Fly and Following the Leader songs.  Pretty good.  Fourteen out of twenty.

Barry Lyndon

In one word: Lovely. The strongest part is the visuals: the vistas, the painting-esque interiors with natural light... It's breathtaking. Too bad the lead's pretty bland. As I read, the book was "told" by Barry himself, which probably added a lot of humour and character to him, but here without it, things kinda happen and he's just in places, sometimes saying things. Not my favourite Kubrick at all so far, but it was definitely worth a watch and won't be tossed aside if I get it in a boxset in the future.

Well sure, he's a lucky (?) everyman at the core, but one of my favourite scenes concerning story and character were the ones with his son and with the Chevalier. We see his breakdown, we see his double life, how they work together to cheat at cards, there's humour in how they get away... then when he meets his wife, we see two shots of them in gardens and one in a boat, and they're in love because the narrator says they are. Did he impersonate a womaniser personality? Does he even use different personalities to get his way? Does he have one to begin with? What made him save Potzdorf? I think all we see is him forcibly recruiting him and a thorough lashing. It's moments like this where I think it could have been much better.

2 minutes ago, Richard said:

Perhaps Kubrick saw those "qualities", in O' Neal?

That was probably one of the reasons. But Kubrick also wanted O'Neal because he was hip at the time and good for selling tickets.

3 minutes ago, Cherry Pie That'll Kill Ya said:

I thought he seemed like an alright bloke. It was that stupid stepson of his I couldn't stand.

You think the movie is about a good guy and a terrible stepson?!

Only at JWFan!