What Is The Last Film You Watched? (Older Films)

Mr. Breathmask

24 minutes ago, Alexcremers said:

Well, Chen, you didn't like 2001: ASO

I didn't like it?!

17 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

2001 has too few female roles!

Which is to say nothing of Lawrence of Arabia.

I didn't like Wonder Woman at all either, and was also confused by why it was praised so heavily.

Actually, I also didn't like Black Panther at all, and also was confused by why that was praised so heavily

I enjoyed Man of Steel, Batman V Superman, Suicide Squad, and Justice League more than Wonder Woman (not that any of them were great, by any means).

And I enjoyed most all of the MCU movies more than Black Panther

I enjoyed both, but neither was as good as their hype suggested they would be. Both were sort of built up as two of the greatest superhero movies of all time, and genre defining, etc., but they both just ended up being competent, above average entries. 

33 minutes ago, Jay said:

Nah, they were just weak scripts full of cliches and didn't even have any good actions scenes to make up for a lack of anything interesting story-wise

Agreed. The dialogue was just terrible in Wonder Woman, and the color grading and slow motion overload just screamed Snyder to me. Patty Jenkins left no mark on this film that I could discern. 

Even the music was dull, except for the standout Tina Guo theme on cello.  

1 minute ago, Stefancos said:

G.I. Jane, White Squal and Someone To Watch Over Me.

All great contenders for the top, but I wanted to limit it to three! 

Just now, Cherry Pie That'll Kill Ya said:

Alien Cummenent!

Ew, no. Ridley Scott's sci-fi movies suck.

Just now, Cherry Pie That'll Kill Ya said:

Err what about Promeefiuff??

Better than Covenant, I guess, but really Ridley Scott was obviously never meant for sci-fi.

1 minute ago, Steve McQueen said:

Gladiator and the 1984 Apple commercial.

Gladiator is great! The Apple commercial showed some promise in Scott as a potential sci-fi director, but after Prometheus it seems that was just a fluke.

2 hours ago, Nick1066 said:

neither was as good as their hype suggested they would be. Both were sort of built up as two of the greatest superhero movies of all time, and genre defining, etc., but they both just ended up being competent, above average entries. 

I pretty much agree, except for the above average part.  They are competent, and probably "good enough" for the teenage audience that let's be honest all these comic book movies are truly aimed at, but they offer nothing exciting for people who like actual quality films.  And comic book movies CAN satisfy that need sometimes - Winter Soldier for example is both a good comic book movie and just a GOOD movie.  Or stuff like say, Ant-man and the Guardians movies are funny enough that I enjoy the comedy and don't care that the stories are probably weak if you think about them too much. 

A nothing-stellar script can be elevated by other aspects such as inspired directing, set design, set pieces, etc etc, but I didn't feel that WW or BP brought much of anything to the screen at all that is worth remembering.

When in Florida I spent the evenings gazing at the stars-and after that I'd watch a movie.

Murder on the Orient Express

Star-studded film is a good mystery, but isn't a must see. Kenneth Branagh is superb as a chief inspector whisked into a case on the very train he rides. There are many plausible suspects, but it doesn't end at all the way you think. Fairly good, but not amazing. I liked it. 

The Illusionist

It plays with the mind, but when the time of realization comes about, the credits roll too quickly. I was befuddled at the quick montage explanation at the end of the movie, and had to rewind and see it again to fully grasp the twist. Flawed but focused, and not my style. I didn't hate it, nor did I like it.

Bend It Like Beckham

British sport mixed with Indian culture and a love triangle connecting them. Not my style at all. 

Pacific Rim

It tries to be cool, but I never really understand what's at stake. A lot of things don't make sense and the movie is too quick to hop into things we have little knowledge of, yet takes too long on the things we could stand to see less off. 

Raiders of the Lost Ark

Great Spielbergian classic. Not my favourite of the Spielberg-Williams collaborations, but the film is classic and the Raiders March is undeniable. Harrison Ford is a perfect fit for Indy's character. 

I also watched the next two Indiana Jones movies. They sufficed, although Raiders is still atop them.

Of the movies that were new to me Murder on the Orient Express was the best. The other three were odd.

I wasn't overly impressed with Wonder Woman either ... for me, a key component of these movies is the action sequences and WW actually seemed fairly light on them given its running time. 

Is it fair to say that Marvel have 'got their shit together' far more convincingly than DC when it comes to the big screen? 

1 hour ago, Sweeping Strings said:

Is it fair to say that Marvel have 'got their shit together' far more convincingly than DC when it comes to the big screen? 

I don't think there's anyone who would disagree with that.

2001 has always been a bore. I have found boring for 50 years. I took a class in college, A Religious Survey of 20th Century novel in which we spent weeks on both the book and the film. I was the weirdo in the class that disliked the film but I still got an A. My teacher did pull some BS saying I probably liked Star Wars better. I admitted I did and he asked why. I said well for starters its scored so much better. He scoffed at that saying John Williams was a flash in the pan having a few years good luck.

12 minutes ago, JoeinAR said:

2001 has always been a bore. I have found boring for 50 years. I took a class in college, A Religious Survey of 20th Century novel in which we spent weeks on both the book and the film. I was the weirdo in the class that disliked the film but I still got an A. My teacher did pull some BS saying I probably liked Star Wars better. I admitted I did and he asked why. I said well for starters its scored so much better. He scoffed at that saying John Williams was a flash in the pan having a few years good luck.

What a scoffer.

You should have responded with an eloquent commentary on Star Wars as existing at the intersection of the Hero's Journey myth, post-modern capitalist theory, and evolving American religious identity.  

As for 2001, it is to film kind of what Avro Part is to music.  There is something distinctly profound in its glacial meandering.  It is not something you watch to be entertained.

It's funny; Joe hates 2001, but loves Star Wars. Kubrick's film paved the way for Star Wars, and in turn the blockbuster cinema mentality we got with that. 

4 hours ago, Matt C said:

Gattaca

I forgot how good this was, but also how much of a slow burn it was. Had it been released today, it wouldn't have been released through a major studio like Sony. There's a lot of thematic richness and attention to detail, and it still feels relevant even today. I know Ethan Hawke is better known for his collaborations with Richard Linklater, but this is one of his best leading roles for a major studio film.

Michael Nyman's score is beautiful but incredibly repetitive. 

Wonderful sci-fi film that doesn’t get the love it deserves. Released today, it would be a Netflix film! Amirite @Alexcremers?

6 hours ago, Matt C said:

Gattaca

I forgot how good this was, but also how much of a slow burn it was. Had it been released today, it wouldn't have been released through a major studio like Sony. There's a lot of thematic richness and attention to detail, and it still feels relevant even today. I know Ethan Hawke is better known for his collaborations with Richard Linklater, but this is one of his best leading roles for a major studio film.

Michael Nyman's score is beautiful but incredibly repetitive. 

Agreed. It's an underrated film that deserves to be seen by a lot more people. 

The "epilogue" should have remained, and the Xander Berkeley outtake is a hoot!

Nyman's score easily holds up against his Greenaway movies.

That score is really good and original for a sci-fi flick. Gattaca is not a movie that I think is getting better as the years go by, but yeah, it definitely deserved more attention. The topic is still relevant and chances are it will not be fiction in the future.

I love Gattaca, its strangely reflective and introverted tone and pacing. It also is a very intimate film based on a concept that as several of you say, is a large one to potentially face all of humanity.

And it has Jude Law shouting, "What's your numbah?" over and over again. 

9 hours ago, JoeinAR said:

This is the most disgraceful post I've ever seen on JWFan.  I am ashamed to be a member here.