What Is The Last Film You Watched? (Older Films)

Mr. Breathmask

7 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Then why aren't you an audiologist?

If my patients only suffer from tinnitus, I would do fine: "Sorry, but you have tinnitus, there is no cure. That will be 50 bucks, thank you. Next!"

Just now, Alexcremers said:

If my patients only suffer from tinnitus, I would do fine: "Sorry, but you have tinnitus, there is no cure. That will be 50 bucks, thanks you. Next!"

But think about all the whining bastards you'd have to see each day!

If I just had a static tinnitus that just does nothing but stay there, I'd be fine. But it plays tricks on you and reacts very strongly to sound, which is why I mainly watch movies on low volume with closed captions these days.

I'll probably need to seek out Karaoke CDs so I can at least read the lyrics.

3 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

That's pretty much what my neurologist does.

If only the job of a film composer would be that easy: "Sorry, but this film is unscoreable, so I can't give you any music. That will be 200.000 bucks, thank you."

Just now, Alexcremers said:

If only the job of a film composer would be that easy: "Sorry, but this film is unscoreable, so I can't give you any music. That will be 200.000 bucks, thank you."

That would actually improve several* films!

*Those scored by Hanz. :)

6 minutes ago, dougie said:

If I just had a static tinnitus that just does nothing but stay there, I'd be fine. But it plays tricks on you and reacts very strongly to sound, which is why I mainly watch movies on low volume with closed captions these days.

I'll probably need to seek out Karaoke CDs so I can at least read the lyrics.

Listening to music with rich frequencies (lots of piercing treble) make it worse. Solo piano or nylon guitar are doable. Change your musical tastes.

5 minutes ago, Alexcremers said:

Listening to music with rich frequencies (lots of piercing treble) make it worse. Solo piano or nylon guitar are doable. Change your musical tastes.

I was prepared for this shit to hit me in my elderly years, but not at 32.

Twelve Monkeys

Unexpectedly underwhelming. I mean it was alright, yeah. Had all those Terry Gilliamisms like the Dutch-angled, wide-angled close-ups to convey the whole insanity of it all. The chick was gorgeous. I think I enjoyed the TV series more.

Koray's post was lamenting that The Pianist isn't on Blu Ray in the USA, not Schindler's List.  Schindler's List of course is on Blu here.

Bought it straight on Blu-ray. It wasn't bad but I expected something more. Note that, unlike most people, I'm not a big fan of 'The Grounhog Day' effect.

28 minutes ago, Alexcremers said:

Bought it straight on Blu-ray. It wasn't bad but I expected something more. Note that, unlike most people, I'm not a big fan of 'The Grounhog Day' effect.

David and I discussed that exact subject yesterday. We tend to love all the Groundhog style films Including Happy Death Day. Looking forward to the sequel.

Also STTNG Cause and Effect is one of our favorites

Just now, JoeinAR said:

David and I discussed that. We tend to love all the Groundhog style films. Including Happy Death Day. Looking forward to the sequel.

Also STTNG Cause and Effect is one of our favorites

Then you, David and Jay must also like Source Code.

220px-Source_Code_Poster.jpg

I hated it.

I thought Source Code was alright; Cool concept, but only decent execution of the concept.  Awesome Main Title cue by Chris P Bacon, though!

Just now, Jay said:

I thought Source Code was alright; Cool concept, but only decent execution of the concept.  Awesome Main Title cue by Chris P Bacon, though!

That is one we didn't like but it had Jake Gyllenhaal and Vera Farmiga two actors neither of us care for.

Demetrius and the Gladiators

They didn't make sequels much back then, huh? This one's pretty seamless with its predecessor. So here, Caligula's back, and in his royal campiness, he wants the robe for its special Jesus powers. A bit like an Indiana Jones plot. Kind of suffers without Richard Burton, but the gladiatorial fights are pretty exciting. Anyone else reckon Susan Hayward looked a bit like Ann-Margret?

10 minutes ago, dougie said:

Demetrius and the Gladiators

They didn't make sequels much back then, huh? This one's pretty seamless with its predecessor. So here, Caligula's back, and in his royal campiness, he wants the robe for its special Jesus powers. A bit like an Indiana Jones plot. Kind of suffers without Richard Burton, but the gladiatorial fights are pretty exciting. Anyone else reckon Susan Hayward looked a bit like Ann-Margret?

Sequels were just as prevalent then as now though most were B movies. They still are B movies today just with humongous budgets.

1 hour ago, dougie said:

The Eleven Commandments.

Technically the 10 commandments contain 11 commandments 

So shall it be written...so shall it be done.

Top film!

3 hours ago, Stefancos said:

The Ten Commandments needed a sequel?

There's a book sequel: it's called JOSHUA.

@dougie, you're right. If you take away all the Rathbone/Bruce films, all the Thin Man films, all the BROADWAY MELODY OF... films, all the Universal horror films, all the Tarzan films, all the ROAD TO... films, and all the Abbott and Costello films...there weren't many sequels.

1 hour ago, Richard said:

Top film!

I'd hesitate to call it a film: its more of a high-budget, ultra-long television play. Not a particularly bad one or anything, but still.

Its just a stageplay (and don't even get me started on that intro!) that happened to take place in front of a camera and microphones.

Never have I ever begged for a film to cut to a close-up! But this? Within an hour I was on my knees, crying for one!

4 minutes ago, Richard said:

So shall it be written...so shall it be done.

Top film!

There's a book sequel: it's called JOSHUA.

@dougie, you're right. If you take away all the Rathbone/Bruce films, all the Thin Man films, all the BROADWAY MELODY OF... films, all the Universal horror films, all the Tarzan films, all the ROAD TO... films, and all the Abbott and Costello films...there weren't many sequels.

Don't forget Ma and Pa Kettle and all the serial films. ANDY Hardy. The Bowery Boys etc.

And all the Westerns sequels.