What Is The Last Film You Watched? (Older Films)

Mr. Breathmask

Captain America is the best. He is the truest/bluest of the heroes. He has honor, integrity, and his ethics and morality set him apart from Iron Man. Tony is the 2nd smartest and most practical in how he applies thing. 

His idealism can get a bit tacky.

Tony is sarcastic and flamboyant in an extraordinarily likable way, while also being self-sacrificial on numerous occasions. He's absolutely great.

14 minutes ago, Chen G. said:

His idealism can get a bit tacky.

Tony is sarcastic and flamboyant in an extraordinarily likable way, while also being self-sacrificial on numerous occasions. He's absolutely great.

Steve Rodgers is a far better person than Tony. Tony was a coward at the beginning of Iron Man. Both men can be arrogant but Steve was right about the Sakovia accords and Tony was not. The only other heroes who come close to Steve Rodgers nobility are Superman(Reeve version) and the Flash. 

Truth and justice are never tacky.

There's no equation of "better person = better character."

Besides, who's making the big sacrificial move in The Avengers? Not Captain America; Who's is the big, final showdown in Age of Ultron and in Infinity War? That would be Tony.

He's terrific.

He likely wont be the one making the big sacrifice in Endgame. Steve Rodgers died for America or so he thought in the first Avenger. He did lose the love of his life for his country.

Tony is terrific and he will return and Pepper will be pregnant and the baby boy will be named Steve. I like Rodgers best but Tony has has a great personality arc. He is different than he was. Rodgers is the same

11 hours ago, dougie said:

I'll need to watch it again. The rest of the movie fixated a bit too much on being a John Hughes wannabe.

One of the reasons why I disliked it. Far From Home looks like an improvement just by cutting back on the Hughes references and forging its own path.

29 minutes ago, JoeinAR said:

Steve Rodgers is a far better person than Tony. Tony was a coward at the beginning of Iron Man. Both men can be arrogant but Steve was right about the Sakovia accords and Tony was not. The only other heroes who come close to Steve Rodgers nobility are Superman(Reeve version) and the Flash. 

Truth and justice are never tacky.

18 minutes ago, JoeinAR said:

He likely wont be the one making the big sacrifice in Endgame. Steve Rodgers died for America or so he thought in the first Avenger. He did lose the love of his life for his country.

Tony is terrific and he will return and Pepper will be pregnant and the baby boy will be named Steve. I like Rodgers best but Tony has has a great personality arc. He is different than he was. Rodgers is the same

Steve Rodgers is a former Australian politician. 

Steve Rogers is Captain America for now. The question is who will pick up the mantle and shield when he passes on. 

37 minutes ago, JoeinAR said:

Tony has has a great personality arc. He is different than he was. Rodgers is the same

Exactly.

Steve's what you'd call a flat arc: his significance is in being the catalyst to the growth of others, which is fine.

1 hour ago, JoeinAR said:

You mean Tony's daughter will be the next Captain America ;)

5 hours ago, Matt C said:

One of the reasons why I disliked it. Far From Home looks like an improvement just by cutting back on the Hughes references and forging its own path.

Are you sure? It looks like European Vacation.

1 hour ago, dougie said:

Are you sure? It looks like European Vacation.

A little bit, plus Jake Gyllenhaal reprising his role from Prince of Persia...

Just now, dougie said:

Godzilla 3: The Planet Eater

Terrible.

90% of Japanese monster movies are unwatchable. 

15 minutes ago, JoeinAR said:

90% of Japanese monster movies are unwatchable. 

This was an anime. It felt like some crappy space drama with the occasional cameo from Godzilla. The cameos from Mothra and Mechagodzilla were even more of a cruel prick tease. Ghidorah was interesting but it was too little, too late.

I mean honestly, for an animated movie without the limitations of live action, they still felt the need to hide the monsters. Fuck, why?

And in the end, I still keep returning to the 1980s and 1990s Heisei Godzilla movies. They weren't perfect, in fact they could sometimes be laughably flimsy, but they were ambitious, respected the characters and were generous with their tone and awesome monster action.

When they start doing Karate its time to turn them off

3 hours ago, Holko said:

Bohemian Rhapsody

It was OK.

Bohemian Rhapsody has made $875 million worldwide (superhero numbers), and so rumour has it the Queen family are seriously discussing a sequel. 😲:blink::eek2::pat:

1 hour ago, Alexcremers said:

Bohemian Rhapsody has made $875 million worldwide (superhero numbers), and so rumour has it the Queen family are seriously discussing a sequel. 😲:blink::eek2::pat:

ugh.

I've already seen the sequel: their legendary 1986 Budapest concert intercut with docu footage of them boating, tasting schnapps, and Freddie practicing the local folk song he sang during the concert.

1 hour ago, Alexcremers said:

Dc superhero numbers

Schindler's List. The first 2 hours 40 minutes feature some of the most powerful and raw filmmaking in Spielberg's career. Shame the last half an hour devolves into Hollywood melodrama. There's nothing really wrong with it but feels too neat.

Karol

Not having it to hand right now, at which beat/event do you feel is the tipping point? For me it becomes cheaper once the women are taken to Auschwitz, which presents no more actual challenges or building, only allows Spielberg to scare the average viewer with the showers and a place name they actually recognise.

Last memorial day, I saw the climax of the film: the most I've seen of it since age 16. If there's a moment that goes a bit too far its the way in which Schindler breaks down: "I could have got one more person, and I didn't." Its a bit too much, but I don't mind too much.

If I was giving the film a grade, I don't think I would've knocked its rating off for it: seems too harsh, given that its literally one flat line. But than, I can't grade the film: I can't ever really see it as a film. Its stuck in my mind as something of an educational video/chore.

17 minutes ago, Holko said:

Not having it to hand right now, at which beat/event do you feel is the tipping point? For me it becomes cheaper once the women are taken to Auschwitz, which presents no more actual challenges or building, only allows Spielberg to scare the average viewer with the showers and a place name they actually recognise.

The 'I could have done more' scene feels false and betrays all that came before. 

2 hours ago, Alexcremers said:

Bohemian Rhapsody has made $875 million worldwide (superhero numbers), and so rumour has it the Queen family are seriously discussing a sequel. 

This could be interesting - A KIND OF MAGIC, the last tour, AIDS, the decline, THE MIRACLE/INNUENDO, the last recordings, that press release, Mercury's death, the Freddie Concert, MADE IN HEAVEN, Deacon's retirement.

Applications for the parts of Paul Rogers, and Adam Lambert, are not required.

13 minutes ago, Alexcremers said:

The 'I could have done more' scene feels false and betrays the all that came before. 

I don't mind the scene: its the emotional payoff. Some of it's tremendous. I like the realization of "he would have given me one; one more person. A person, Stern." I think its a great summation of the theme of the pricelessness of human life.

I just mind that one particular beat. Its directed just one notch too high on the melodrama scale: He literally hangs unto Sir Ben, and collapses, crying.

Not enough to truly fault the movie for, methinks.

1 hour ago, Richard said:

This could be interesting - A KIND OF MAGIC, the last tour, AIDS, the decline, THE MIRACLE/INNUENDO, the last recordings, that press release, Mercury's death, the Freddie Concert, MADE IN HEAVEN, Deacon's retirement.

Quite so, Richard ... it's a touch jarring that Bohemian Rhapsody ends with 4 albums still to go. Sequel could possibly end on the triumph of We Will Rock You?

12 hours ago, Chen G. said:

its the emotional payoff.

The scene would have been more powerful and emotional if it wasn't so melodramatic. Seeing the real survivors during the film's coda is the true emotional payoff for me.

12 hours ago, Richard said:

Queen: In Search For Freddy (2020)

Not that I watch it often, buy everytime I watch Schindler's List, I'm always surprised with how little a problem I have with the "I Could Have Done More" scene. The Internet makes the scene sound like a disgustingly over-the-top explosion of maudlin tripe, a  manipulative slap in the face to the audience. 

I can understand why someone would want something more understated ,but the whole film--the music (including its spotting), the writing, the acting--all go through a transformative arc from being closed and reserved, detached to becoming empathetic, present, and involved; the gradual opening of a valve. It's a smooth progression. 

You are internet people.

10 minutes ago, Nick Parker said:

I can understand why someone would want something more understated ,

At JWFan, I'm probably one of the few who feels this way. For most other members, the 'I could have done more' scene is the moment when Spielberg finally stops being so cold and distant.

7 hours ago, Alexcremers said:

At JWFan, I'm probably one of the few who feels this way. For most other members, the 'I could have done more' scene is the moment when Spielberg finally stops being so cold and distant.

Nonsense. JWFanners have been complaining about that scene for as long as I've been here, and probably longer. There are numerous threads dedicated to damning that line and Spielberg's "indulgence".

Personally, I'm not so bothered by it. It certainly doesn't "ruin the movie". The epilogue at the graveyard was always the part I could have done without really, but I understand why it's there.

The only problem I have with that scene is the Bugs Bunny stammering with the line "but I didn't. I, I, I didn't".  That reading in particular felt a bit stagey in a 40's melodrama sort of way.

Otherwise, the movie is perfect.  

21 minutes ago, KK said:

Nonsense. JWFanners have been complaining about that scene for as long as I've been here, and probably longer. There are numerous threads dedicated to damning that line and Spielberg's "indulgence".

Personally, I'm not so bothered by it. It certainly doesn't "ruin the movie". The epilogue at the graveyard was always the part I could have done without really, but I understand why it's there.

You're the one who spouts nonsense! How dare you contradict our stalwart Defender of the Sophisticated, a vanguard of good and intelligent art bravely and tragically fated to sail, alone, the seas of the artistically and intellectually unequipped Uncultured Man-Child Peasants of JWFan? This is a dangerous narrative to threaten! 

13 minutes ago, Not Mr. Big said:

The only problem I have with that scene is the Bugs Bunny stammering with the line "but I didn't. I, I, I didn't".  That reading in particular felt a bit stagey in a 40's melodrama sort of way.

Exactly.

The way Liam Neeson, who towers overs Sir Ben, collapses unto him and leans against the car. It’s almost comedic as a visual.

29 minutes ago, KK said:

Just because it doesn't bother you doesn't mean our point that it comes across as false in any less valid. It doesn't ruin the movie but it comes close know the reality that Schindler did not do that. The same goes for SPR.