What Is The Last Film You Watched? (Older Films)

Mr. Breathmask

9 hours ago, Richard said:

I have no plans to watch it, again.

Same here but I might watch Apocalypse again, if only for the offering scene, which was a real nightmare. 

Yes, that's the one. Have you guys seen it? What did you think of the offering scene (on the pyramid)? If this happened in a nightmare, that's the moment I would wake up.

29 minutes ago, Alexcremers said:

Have you guys seen it? What did you think of the offering scene (on the pyramid)? If this happened in a nightmare, that's the moment I would wake up.

I really like Apocalypto. Its beat Fury Road to the punch, and its exquisitely well-photographed. Its extraordinarily violent, though.

Doesn't have the sweeping romanticism of Braveheart, though.

****1/2 out of *****

57 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

I thought Alex only liked the first one?

I liked the first one. Then, when the second one came out, I liked the second one better. Years later, I watched both movies again, and I discovered I actually prefer the first one. The second is where things become melodramatic. 

33 minutes ago, Chen G. said:

I really like Apocalypto. Its beat Fury Road to the punch, and its exquisitely well-photographed. Its extraordinarily violent, though.

Doesn't have the sweeping romanticism of Braveheart, though.

****1/2 out of *****

I didn't like the way the Braveheart character was romanticized, like he was Robin Hood or something. I felt the film forced people to like him. He was likeable in a way you would like a beaten dog, but I don't like dogs (beaten or not). I like cats. Braveheart isn't a cat. In Apocalypto, the main character is more like a tiger, a jaguar, being hunted by dogs.

But at the same time, his barbarity isn't sanized.

The depiction of all the deaths caused by the hands of the English range from the purely suggested (Murron, William) to the visually tame (Campbell). Rather, its the deaths that William and his compatriots cause which are the most gory, and are - more than once - enacted upon the unarmed. The death of the English lord in particular has this long beat after it, which makes the violence of it stand out all the more.

Its not that black-and-white, you see.

11 minutes ago, Chen G. said:

But at the same time, his barbarity isn't sanized.

The depiction of all the deaths caused by the hands of the English range from the suggested (Murron, William) to the visually tame (Campbell). Rather, its the deaths that William and his compatriots cause which are the most gory, and are - more than once - enacted upon the unarmed.

Its not that black-and-white, you see.

But wasn't his barbarity justified? You know, an eye for an eye, a tooth for a tooth?  It's not like he randomly kills his own men to spread fear and to gain respect. At no time did I feel the film wanted me to question Braveheart's actions. 

34 minutes ago, Alexcremers said:

But wasn't his barbarity justified? You know, an eye for an eye, a tooth for a tooth?  It's not like he randomly kills his own men to spread fear and to gain respect. Nowhere did I feel the film wanted me to question Braveheart's actions. 

It doesn't go all the way in that regard, true: it doesn't comment on the subject. But I do appreciate that it at least casts the hero's actions in a confronting light, as it were. Its more than enough. 

You wouldn't see a hero in a film today kill the unarmed - however deserving they are. In Braveheart, however:

braveheart(1995)_2834.jpg

braveheart(1995)_2987.jpgbraveheart(1995)_3367.jpg

braveheart(1995)_5808.jpg (1920×1080)braveheart(1995)_5224.jpg

braveheart(1995)_7306.jpg

In Mornay's case its especially noteworthy because - for the entire buildup to the kill - Gibson quite literally puts us in his point-of-view, rather than William's.

braveheart(1995)_7748.jpg

38 minutes ago, Fabulin said:

I had the impression that the film does nothing to elicit sympathy for this over-the-top barbarian.

Not even when he killed all these monstrous rapists, which is how all the English are portrayed here? 

20 minutes ago, Alexcremers said:

all these monstrous rapists, which is how all the English are portrayed here? 

again, not too far removed from several historical examples.

Its not as simplistic to the human condition as some would have you believe.

Leaving aside the application of this attribute to the English of the 11th Century (because a narrative film needn't be bound to historical accuracy) and looking at this more broadly, its hardly unheard of for large groups of people to act in an utterly inhumane manner.

Were 20th century  Nazis, Fascists or Communists any better than this? What of the Mongols in the 14th Century? or the Huns, earlier? Mankind is capable of unbeliveable cruelty. Braveheart simply applies this behavior to another time and period in history, and presents it unapologetically.

20 hours ago, Jay said:

Oh my god you're right!

They've directed 7 movies and 5 out of the 7 feature this concept - only BOUND and SPEED RACER do not!

How weird is that?

Who knows what’s in that milk they’re drinking in Speed Racer ;)

Yea, agree with pub on this one. Braveheart isn't some masterful thesis on the human condition. It's well-made entertainment. There's also nothing wrong with that.

But Verhoeven says he's not the son of God, but a political leader. The book demystifies the Catholic version of Jesus, the one who performed miracles. 

7 minutes ago, Alexcremers said:

But Verhoeven says he's not the son of God, but a political leader. The book demystifies the Catholic version of Jesus, the one who performed miracles. 

Catholics can't be critical of his religion? Haven't you ever heard Scorcese talk about his faith?

Verhoeven has a lot of catholic themes and imagery in his films. Guilt is often a theme 

If Verhoeven believes that Jesus wasn't the son of God, rather a political figure, that's not a mere criticism of the religion, it's an outright rejection of the founding doctrine of Christianity as a whole.

I dunno, christianity itself is doing a great job of rejecting the beliefs of its main founder celebrity guy with its pure existence.

Just now, Stefancos said:

Catholics can't be critical of his religion? Haven't you ever heard Scorcese talk about his faith?

Verhoeven has a lot of catholic themes and imagery in his films. Guilt is often a theme 

Critical? A book that goes completely against what the church is preaching is not critical but sacrilege. He's a fan of Jesus, the man, the political leader. That doesn't make him a devour Catholic. He actually looks at it from a scientific point of view. Mel Gibson is a true devour Catholic, one that believes every word of the bible. 

6 hours ago, publicist said:

It's kind of cute how he constantly rationalizes this simplistic stuff as somehow deep and meaningful. [...] It's not OK to constantly act like all the triviality in them is part of a mystic bigger truth. 

When I read those lines, I had to think of "Werk ohne Autor". Have you seen it? Has anybody else seen it? It's so bad, the english title, "Never Look Away", even tries to force the audience to watch it.