What Is The Last Film You Watched? (Older Films)

Mr. Breathmask

20 minutes ago, bollemanneke said:

The Shawshank redemption.

Very good. I still have trouble liking Tim Robbins, the Tommy subplot and Red's move to Mexico continue to feel rather unrealistic, but luckily, Morgan Freeman is here to compensate for all that.

Thomas Newman does what he always does: he writes music that is so effective, moving and emotional that no words can describe how good it actually is.

How is moving to mexico unrealistic?  Maybe to a foreigner but its kind of a standard for Americans on the run

Just now, bollemanneke said:

I would think that if you're on parole after a life sentence for murder, you couldn't just cross the border...

Sorry but I have to laugh first. He skipped out on his parole. He is not crossing legally. And in the 60's you didn't need anything but maybe a driver's licence, certainly no passport. Back then photo id's were not common.  I have been to Mexico 3 times without a passport once illegally down at El Paso 

Its not. But the best story in the novella has never been filmed.

3 hours ago, bollemanneke said:

I would think that if you're on parole after a life sentence for murder, you couldn't just cross the border...

Routine stuff back in the day.

Stat Trek: TMP

Oh, this was not bad at all. The script really feels like an OG episode, albeit stretched and padded to fit a double episode pilot, then some more to fit a film. The version Google Play had was 2:10 long but had the old FX shots - did they eventually create this hybrid after realising how stupid rendering it only in SD was? It mostly looks great on the FX front, a bit less on the wardrobe front and with some of those multidiopter shots looking like bad composites with heavy vaseline on the lenses. Score's fantastic.

58 minutes ago, Holko said:

The version Google Play had was 2:10 long but had the old FX shots - did they eventually create this hybrid after realising how stupid rendering it only in SD was?

When the Directors Edition was made high def home video releases weren't a thing yet. Perhaps the costs would have been to great anyway. I"m sure Michael Matessino and David C. Fein would have done an HD version had it been produced a few years later 

Goldfinger

Watching this one again, I saw something to Connery's performance that I hadn't really noticed before.  He brings a certain human awareness to Bond here.  Now, Alex a little ways back said that Bond should have a heart of stone.  I disagree. The real Bond encases his heart in stone, but there is still a heart in there somewhere. I prefer Dalton's volatile blend of chivalry and brutality to Connery's indulgent misogyny, but, in some moments, Connery's Bond here is not all that different.  

I have reservations about the story, though, iconic as it is.  I prefer the more straightforward FRWL and even Thunderball in this department.  A very slick movie editing wise, though.  Top-notch score, but I have never been a fan of the title song.  The lyrics irk me.  

3.5/4

For Your Eyes Only

I don't like this one at all.  Rubs me the wrong way completely.  Great deal of potential what with Bond's revenge against Blofeld and the revenge plot that drives the story, but executed terribly all around.  The only saving grace is the top notch stunt work, which makes the action sequences quite watchable.  But, the plot and redundant subplots unfold quite boringly. 

Moore seems bored especially.  In an ideal world, they would have made Octopussy first and then handed the reigns over to Dalton for this one.

2/4

1 minute ago, SteveMc said:

For Your Eyes Only

I don't like this one at all.  Rubs me the wrong way completely.  Great deal of potential what with Bond's revenge against Blofeld and the revenge plot that drives the story, but executed terribly all around.  The only saving grace is the top notch stunt work, which makes the action sequences quite watchable.  But, the plot and redundant subplots unfold quite boringly. 

Moore seems bored especially.  In an ideal world, they would have made Octopussy first and then handed the reigns over to Dalton for this one.

2/4

😡

STII: The Wrath of Khan

It was alright. More digestible and for a wider audience than the first for sure, but feels to be on a smaller scale. The best things about it in descending order: KHAAAAANNNNNN, Montalbán, the score and Spock. Unfortunately I can only have one of those at home, so I'll get on it soon.

56 minutes ago, Holko said:

STII: The Wrath of Khan

It was alright. More digestible and for a wider audience than the first for sure, but feels to be on a smaller scale. The best things about it in descending order: KHAAAAANNNNNN, Montalbán, the score and Spock. Unfortunately I can only have one of those at home, so I'll get on it soon.

I recall it wasn't one of my favourite Trek films when I first saw it, but my appreciation improved with each viewing. The script is pure gold, with its continued self references and allusions to Dickens's Tale of Two Cities. Its treatment of Kirk as a character and of the question how to deal with a no win scenario resonates, and clearly not just with me, given the popularity of the Kobayashi Maru exam.

Oh, nitpick but also it's strange to single Chekov out to be on a different crew and meet Khan, when he was the only one of the core group who wasn't even in the show that whole season, let alone in Space Seed. I guess he is the most negligible, though, for that reason. Maybe it could've been Sulu seeing how he'll have a ship of his own in VI? Anyway, it's just a little oddity.

Just now, Holko said:

Oh, nitpick but also it's strange to single Chekov out to be on a different crew and meet Khan, when he was the only one of the core group who wasn't even in the show that whole season, let alone in Space Seed. I guess he is the most negligible, though, for that reason. Maybe it could've been Sulu seeing how he'll have a ship of his own in VI? Anyway, it's just a little oddity.

And Khan even recognises him! Maybe he was a more junior officer on the Enterprise offscreen.

Most third chapters are disappointing. I think its fine. Unbreakable's awesome, though.

The absence of James Newton Howard has to be the most disappointing aspect for me. Earlier in his career, Shaymalan had a lot of great collaborators on his films (especially cinematographers like Tak Fujimoto and Roger Deakins) but none more valuable than James Newton Howard.

38 minutes ago, Chen G. said:

Most third chapters are disappointing.

This is often true ...Classic examples are:

- Return Of  The Jedi 

- The Godfather Part III

- Back To The Future Part III

- Red Dragon

- Terminator: Rise Of The Machines

- X-Men: The Last Stand

- Alien3

- The Bourne Ultimatum

The lesson here is: You've said all there is to say. Enough is enough! 

In some cases the first sequel can be enough to ensure I never bother to see the final part of the trilogy, The Matrix for example. 

They're not all bad though. Part IIIs that I like:

The Return of King 

BTTF3

Die Hard 3

Return of the Jedi

Armies of Darkness

The Last Crusade

Toy Story 3

19 hours ago, Richard said:

No need. You are spot-on, Steve. For YOUR EYES ONLY is the DIAMONDS ARE FOREVER of the Moore era; pure trash. Not even the parrot could save it. I laughed my head off when it turned up, in THE LIVING DAYLIGHTS

FYEO is one of my favourites of Moore's ... the opening with 'not named for legal reasons' Blofeld and the Thatcher gag at the end are too much, but the rest is quality (particularly Moore's 'ice in the veins' kicking of Locque's car off the cliff edge).

2 hours ago, Sweeping Strings said:

FYEO is one of my favourites of Moore's ... the opening with 'not named for legal reasons' Blofeld and the Thatcher gag at the end are too much, but the rest is quality (particularly Moore's 'ice in the veins' kicking of Locque's car off the cliff edge).

That @Richard's just a crazy old man!

1 hour ago, Stefancos said:

That @Richard's just a crazy old man!

Which makes me a crazy young man, I guess.

3 hours ago, Sweeping Strings said:

particularly Moore's 'ice in the veins' kicking of Locque's car off the cliff edge

There are little moments like that which show potential for the movie, but they are not integrated well, in my opinion.  As a whole, the movie lacks a consistent execution of its vision.

33 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

Please explain what you mean with that.

It seems to me that the movie was intended to be a more "serious."  I feel that the filmmakers merely checked some boxes to go in this direction.  There is a revenge plot, a woman we barely know is run over, Bond kicks a car off a cliff,  that sort of thing.  But this feels contrived and clashes with the half-hearted humor, most notably all the nonsense with Bibi.  If they would successfully accomplish this goal of a more straightforward Bond movie, they would have given matters a little more thought, have better integrated the intention with the themes and plot. 

The pre-credits sequences captures my issues in a nutshell.  Bond is at Tracy's grave.  The priest is dramatically making the sign of the cross.  Blofeld is there.  He wants revenge.  So does Bond.  So far, so good.  But then it derails.  The music turns kitschy.  Blofeld whines like a baby as a smiling Moore pats him on the head and dispenses of him as if he is a minor annoyance rather than than the fiend who took away his only chance at happiness.  And all this after he had just visited Tracy's grave?  I think not, and the fimmakers should have had the sense to have thought not too.  The whole movie follows this pattern for me.  A pity, because I wanted to like it for what it is, and the stunt team really is on top form.  And the title song would have made for a very good love theme, had the connection between Bond and Havelock been more than just obligatory.