What Is The Last Film You Watched? (Older Films)

Mr. Breathmask

55 minutes ago, Alexcremers said:

Is that a line from the movie?

It's become hard to tell sometimes. Their personalities and references have reached a true Singularity.

Star Trek (2009)

This movie is exactly 10 years old and I hadn't watched it in many years.  It's pretty good still!  I'm not a huge fan of some of the plot contrivances (like the Enterprise being taken over by cadets, or marooning a cadet instead of confining him, or promoting a cadet directly to captain???) but it still works for me.

Wowie zowie. I still remember seeing this in the theater by myself because my ex cooked up a story about why she wouldn't see it, though I enjoyed the movie immensely, warts and all, at least at the time. 

That movie is far from us now as it was from 1999 back then, which seemed further in the past. So this is what getting old feels like. 

11 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

Like I said above, right now the peak is 5 so I can't really agree with this, but it certainly is basically maintaining a very impressive level of quality

I like how the franchise sort of became a showcase for proper stunts and practical effects. Fallout in a legit IMAX theater was great. 

2 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

(like the Enterprise being taken over by cadets, or marooning a cadet instead of confining him, or promoting a cadet directly to captain???) but it still works for me.

It was the timeline trying to mend itself!!!!

The Man from U.N.C.L.E.

This was okay but lacked whatever it was that gave Guy Ritchie's other similarly premised flick Sherlock Holmes that special push. Hey, get this, you've got Superman, Lara Croft and The Lone Ranger teaming up in this!

18 hours ago, Koray Savas said:

Fallout in a legit IMAX theater was great.

But it wasn't even shot on legit IMAX.

The IMAX sequences were shot on 8K digital.

7 hours ago, Richard said:

Are those outtakes from RONIN?

More like the inspiration for Ronin perhaps.

Which reminds me....

Ronin 

A proper action flick, in my book.  A film that leans on characters and suspense, rather than over the top effects and such, but still with plenty of fireworks to keep the audience entertained.  It is a rather unique film, really, an almost perfect balance of old and new styles of filmmaking. Of course, the car chases are fantastic.  The plot is convoluted.  Watching it again last night, I understood it for the first time.  Score is surprisingly capable.  

3.5/4

The last samurai.

Quite good. Tom Cruise and Timothy Spall were particularly impressive, but I'm not sure how I feel about the romance between Taka and Algren at all and the final battle might just have been a little bit too long. Speaking of final scenes, the one with the emperor really kills the drama.

Even though the score is largely written in D minor again, it's as moving as the story it underscores. The Japanese instruments are very effective and Hans Zimmer isn't afraid of melody either, but a few cues are too dramatic and even inappropriate, in the aforementioned romantic scenes, for instance: it's not a funeral, for heaven's sake, it's not pure romance either, but it should at least differ a bit from the rest of the music, like the final brilliant battle cue. There's also an occasionally wailing woman, but the score as a whole is more than fine.

11 hours ago, Chen G. said:

How can a film shot by John Toll be mentioned without heaping praise upon the cinematography?

Ah, that would be because I'm blind. I'll take your word for it regarding the cinematography, though.

Didn't it get criticized for being a white Asian dress up power fantasy back in the day? There was a movie that came out a few years ago that was another entry into that subgenre, I want to say it didn't do very well. 

27 minutes ago, Chen G. said:

I seem to believe it was criticised for being a white saviour narrative back in the day. I personally don't see like it: good movie.

Indiana Jones And The Temple Of Doom is one too. Great film!

Indiana Jones it too much of a live-action cartoon (intentionally so, of course) to be taken seriously with regards to being culturally offensive, I always thought.

The king's speech.

Quite good, but the second part contains a few rather annoying feel-good moments involving Lionel and Myrtle that undermine the film's credibility, which isn't helped by the fact that some parts are already historically inaccurate. John Lithgow is a way better Churchill actor as well, although Timothy Spall's versatility continues to amaze me.

The score and classical music is perfect from beginning to end: a great theme that stays with you after the movie is over, lots of switches from major to minor... This is... a score... that doesn't need... its movie... to shine.

Even though it's a "weaker" entry in the trilogy, Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom still blows most modern action adventure movie equivalents away, it's not even close. One may as well be comparing generic with iconic: a fool's pastime.

1 hour ago, Quintus said:

Even though it's a "weaker" entry in the trilogy, Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom still blows most modern action adventure movie equivalents away, it's not even close. One may as well be comparing generic with iconic: a fool's pastime.

It kicks Fury Road's pale ass