What Is The Last Film You Watched? (Older Films)

Mr. Breathmask

It's not an uninteresting subject, but apart from the opening with the war and Viktor's despair, and parts of the detaining of that medicine guy, I cannot remember a single thing that is not weightless fluff, or treated like weightless fluff. It just gets tedious.

1 hour ago, Holko said:

It just gets tedious.

It certainly got tedious when the old janitor has the time of his life while observing Tom Hanks. Creating your own audience in a movie ... Jees! That's a big no-no. And it wasn't the first time Spielberg did this.

a9fae2ea9e7b52711bc0431b2faf7adc.jpg

Slender Man

What a shame. This showed glimmers of promise in only two creatively suspenseful moments, but it's super boring most of the time. Very sad, especially given the spooky premise. Skip it!

My Name Is Nobody

And it's best you remain anonymous, cuz you suck! The opening shave scene was the only remotely memorable moment. That Terence Hill guy is way out of place- a bit of hack here in my opinion. What was Fonda thinking working with this guy, who's clearly off his rocker. A real crapshoot. Even Morricone couldn't save it! It's so parodizingly disgusting. Not my type, thank you very much. 

The day after tomorrow.

Well, they certainly chose an interesting date to broadcast one of the first movies I’ve ever watched. It's rather good, although there's no doubt that Dennis Quaid, Sela Ward and Emmy Rossum prevented me from turning it off this time. The relationships between some key characters, like Jack and Rapson and Sam and Laura, didn't work for me because they weren't properly set up at all and the movie was rather too fast-paced in general too: it sometimes felt as though large chunks had just disappeared. However flawed the movie is, it could have done with an extra 20 minutes. The predictable apocalyptic dialogue didn't help either and I'm also starting to wonder whether Roland Emmerich has ever made a movie that isn't about the end of the world. The ice age they talk about doesn't seem to be coming soon and I’d love to see the day Trump forgives Latin America all its debts.

The score starts out in D minor, but it's quite good. In the opening cue, you clearly notice that it wants to do something interesting with today's boring score requirements. Mission accomplished.

9 hours ago, The Illustrious Jerry said:

My Name Is Nobody

And it's best you remain anonymous, cuz you suck! The opening shave scene was the only remotely memorable moment. That Terence Hill guy is way out of place- a bit of hack here in my opinion. What was Fonda thinking working with this guy, who's clearly off his rocker. A real crapshoot. Even Morricone couldn't save it! It's so parodizingly disgusting. Not my type, thank you very much. 

It’s a Leone film!

Unfortunately he did not direct it. It was merely based of an idea by Leone. 

I think I'll stick to the Man With No Name trilogy, where I can rest assured in certain enjoyment. 

27 minutes ago, The Illustrious Jerry said:

I think I'll stick to the Man With No Name trilogy, where I can rest assured in certain enjoyment. 

He was the second unit director and executive producer, with a Morricone score spoofing Once Upon A Time In The West. Close enough!

2 hours ago, The Illustrious Jerry said:

Leone experts say he directed half of the film.

3 hours ago, The Original said:

I couldn't really get into those movies.

The "The Man With No Name" trilogy (especially THE GOOD, THE BAD, AND THE UGLY,) and also ONCE UPON A TIME IN THE WEST are stone cold classics. Both TGTB+TU, and OUATITW should be studied in film school.

I loved My Name Is Nobody as a kid, but once the experts pointed out that the direction is very uneven (sometimes Leone, sometimes Valerii), it becomes hard to disagree with that. 

Depends on whether those "shortfalls" actually amount to something, or whether they're mere technicalities.

The film connoisseur can be a petty little bugger. But than, the proletarian fan or filmgoer can be too forgiving.

27 minutes ago, The Original said:

Yeah it's best to abandon films you once enjoyed when a more learned film connoisseur articulates its shortfalls.

They also pointed out how some scenes couldn't be directed by Valerii, not even if he tried for a hundred years.

43 minutes ago, Chen G. said:

The film connoisseur can be a petty little bugger. But than, the proletarian fan or filmgoer can be too forgiving.

Much of the time film pedantics fuss over trivial shit that's not worth worrying about. There's more to life than movies, and I'm going to find out what that is.

6 minutes ago, The Original said:

Much of the time film pedantic fuss over trivial shit that's not worth worrying about. There's more to life than movies, and I'm going to find out what that is.

Well, you could stop thinking for yourself and love everything that crosses your path. Oh, wait, you already do that!

6 minutes ago, Alexcremers said:

Well, you could stop thinking for yourself and love everything that crosses your path. Oh, wait, you already do that!

Yeah I lied in my above review. I actually loved Slender Man.

But, at the end of the day, who gleans more enjoyment from a wider amount of films? The overly-critical, stuffy film snob, or the more casual, lax viewer?

8 hours ago, Alexcremers said:

I loved My Name Is Nobody as a kid, but once the experts pointed out that the direction is very uneven (sometimes Leone, sometimes Valerii), it becomes hard to disagree with that. 

Thanks! I wasn't aware that his involvement went as far as second unit director. Be that as it may, My Name Is Nobody shouldn't be taken as seriously as I apparently did, but even in it's parody I feel it doesn't succeed. I suppose it's definetly one that would benefit from being viewed as a child, but it certainly doesn't hold up for me now.

8 hours ago, Richard said:

The "The Man With No Name" trilogy (especially THE GOOD, THE BAD, AND THE UGLY,) and also ONCE UPON A TIME IN THE WEST are stone cold classics. Both TGTB+TU, and OUATITW should be studied in film school.

Absolutely! A thousand times yes! The Man With No Name trilogy is the must-see of the spaghetti western genre, although Once Upon a Time in the West, albeit an apparent "stone cold classic", falls short for me. It dabbles in too much intricacy, trying to be very plot-heavy, something the Dollars movies did not suffer from. I mean, come on! Changing allegiances, unclear vendettas, lack of explanation, and (ahem) land rights. It's a plot from hell as far as I'm concerned, although it gets some serious love for many wonderfully executed scenes and Leone's inherent ability to draw everything out of a showdown, uplifted by Morricone's whizzbang of a score. All in all a bit of a letdown. The Dollars movies were immensely enjoyable while OUATITW was harder to grab a hold of, and for understandable reasons. The Good, the Bad and the Ugly is clearly where the height of Leone's ability was achieved. 

I'm beginning to think that @Quintus was pretty well spot-on with his assessment of my affinity for spaghetti westerns when he said that it sounded like I "just watched a bunch of westerns and really liked the Leone ones so I guess I like spaghetti westerns". That's absolutely the case, and I can see that now. You were right!

Rain man.

Very moving. Dustin Hoffman is absolutely fantastic and Valeria Golino was quite good too, although I don't really buy the scene with her and Ray in the elevator. I'm also not sure about how accurate this portrayal of autism is, especially the fact that he can do crazy calculations but doesn't understand how money works. Then there's the 'most autistic people can't speak and don't know how to communicate' line, but other than that, it's perfect.

The music is possibly even more moving than the movie. You can really hear that Zimmer's heart went out to Raymond and the result is deeply, deeply touching.

I watched Fail Safe this afternoon after I finished mowing. I had not seen it in years. Actors can go a lifetime and never participate with such an ensemble. Dark and grim, yet there is hope in this fatalistic film.  Fonda is always great. The only one like him today is Tom Hanks.

6 hours ago, bollemanneke said:

Rain man.

Very moving. Dustin Hoffman is absolutely fantastic and Valeria Golino was quite good too, although I don't really buy the scene with her and Ray in the elevator. I'm also not sure about how accurate this portrayal of autism is, especially the fact that he can do crazy calculations but doesn't understand how money works. Then there's the 'most autistic people can't speak and don't know how to communicate' line, but other than that, it's perfect.

The music is possibly even more moving than the movie. You can really hear that Zimmer's heart went out to Raymond and the result is deeply, deeply touching.

Rain Man isn't a very realistic portrayal of autism.