What Is The Last Film You Watched? (Older Films)

Mr. Breathmask

3 hours ago, Alexcremers said:

There are two war movies that literally everyone puts in their top 10 but that for some reason don't gel with me, no matter how much I rewatch them:

- Apocalypse Now

- The Thin Red Line

Apocalypse Now I like.

The Thin Red Line is a Terrance Malick film and you either like those, or you don't. Gorgeously photographed, though.

Its certainly one of Malick's most accessible films, but its still a Malick film and not everyone cares for his languid, poetic and non-narrative approach.

30 minutes ago, Chen G. said:

Apocalypse Now I like.

The Thin Red Line is a Terrance Malick film and you either like those, 

Oh, I'm okay with both movies, but unlike so many people, I don't love them. I sometimes wonder if people don't exaggerate their admiration out of fear not to be taken seriously as a film connoisseur ...

6 minutes ago, Alexcremers said:

I sometimes wonder if people don't exaggerate their admiration out of fear not to be taken seriously as a film connoisseur

That happens all the time. I seem to recall hearing someone say -- of 2001: A Space Odyssey, I believe -- that no one really likes it, they just like to be seen liking it.

2 minutes ago, publicist said:

Truth to be told, except for this board i don't even see people talking about these movies, and that includes the film-hungry Berlinale crowd here. 

Nobody talks about 2001? Nonsense!

6 hours ago, xWxzek said:

Also do read up on Joseph Conrad's novella Heart of Darkness, which was the major inspiration for Coppola's film. 

We read that book before watching the movie, but I thought it was really boring.

18 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Some people can't stand old films.

Not just that, they are more eclectic in their tastes. It's only on male-dominated fan boards where these kind of movies (war, sci-fi etc.) are so tirelessly promoted.

4 minutes ago, publicist said:

Not just that, they are more eclectic in their tastes. It's only on male-dominated fan boards where these kind of movies (war, sci-fi etc.) are so tirelessly promoted.

Drax and I like plenty of girly things but you give us shit for that. So it's like what the fuck.

27 minutes ago, Dieter Stark said:

Drax and I like plenty of girly things but you give us shit for that. So it's like what the fuck.

I always applauded old Draxi's Bette Davis marathons. Your unhealthy obsession with three movies made in between 1989 and 1997 - less so.

58 minutes ago, publicist said:

t's only on male-dominated fan boards where these kind of movies (war, sci-fi etc.) are so tirelessly promoted.

But don't men make up most of the cinephiles, anyway?

46 minutes ago, Chen G. said:

But don't men make up most of the cinephiles, anyway?

Yes, and a good percentage of them still doesn't care for JWFan's eternal line up of Blade Runner, 2001 etc.

9 minutes ago, publicist said:

a good percentage of them still doesn't care for JWFan's eternal line up of Blade Runner, 2001 etc.

Hey, I don't either.

1 hour ago, bollemanneke said:

We read that book before watching the movie, but I thought it was really boring.

Joseph Conrad "boring"?! Oh, well.

You'd hate NOSTROMO, and THE NIGGER OF THE NARCISSUS, and don't even bother with THE SECRET AGENT.

6 minutes ago, Richard said:

THE NIGGER OF THE NARCISSUS

Jail him!

12 minutes ago, Chen G. said:

Hey, I don't either.

I'm not even a real cinephile myself but going by a fairly large circle of acquaintances, many of them working in media & culture, the general taste encompasses everything from Douglas Sirk to Nouvelle Vague movies, D. A. Pennebaker documentaries to, surely, certain blockbusters or Kubrick movies etc. I probably saw more dvd's of 'City of God' covers on dvd racks than '2001', that's for sure.

48 minutes ago, Richard said:

Joseph Conrad "boring"?! Oh, well.

You'd hate NOSTROMO, and THE NIGGER OF THE NARCISSUS, and don't even bother with THE SECRET AGENT.

I'm finding it hard to really enjoy novels lately. Tried Wuthering Heights and just couldn't like it (just tell the story, don't bother with a guy asking his neighbour to tell it, just tell it). Movies are a better story-telling medium for me for some reason.

5 hours ago, Chen G. said:

That happens all the time. I seem to recall hearing someone say -- of 2001: A Space Odyssey, I believe -- that no one really likes it, they just like to be seen liking it.

That’s not true at all, though. 

5 minutes ago, Chen G. said:

Or the “Floyd section”. The story only begins in earnst about 70 minutes into the film, which is bonkers.

Hmm, that reminds me of another film you may have heard of...

B354DB60-E6F2-4F09-A2B0-D37EA7068385.jpeg

Rise of the Planet of the Apes (2011)

Dawn of the Planet of the Apes (2014)

War for the Planet of the Apes (2017)

While they each improved upon each other, these were hardly -knock your socks off- experiences. Of course, they could be viewed as a study in motion capture animation, as the developments are evident over each of the films. Rise's human lead is James Franco, who isn't an actor I'd follow into anything. Serkis' Caesar, the main character of the entire trilogy, is frustrating, because whenever he emotes or puts on facial expressions I can't help but see the face of Gollum. In all seriousness though, one has to wonder the repercussions of Serkis' physically demanding roles- he puts it all out there it would seem. Dawn wastes Gary Oldman and Jason Clarke, and got a tad boring at times even. War was probably the best of the three- the best visuals, best characters, and many of the best scenes. Wasn't comfortable with Woody Harrelson's radically hardheaded colonel.

Patrick Doyle's score for Rise was quite interesting in the film. It worked well, but I ultimately don't remember a note of it. Michael Giacchino's following two scores are more memorable and effective in the film. He puts forth some decent themes, ones that I could probably still hum for you. 

Not particularly intriguing movies, and I'm surprised I buckled down for all three. 

3 minutes ago, Alexcremers said:

It starts from the very first frame, right?

Maybe not quite, but if Chen thinks the story starts way past the hour mark he doesnt really understand 2001, or know what a story is or how it can be told.

Not everyone likes how it moves at a very slow pace. In fact, it's probably the biggest complaint people have. How can it not be? While 2001: ASO is unmistakably the granddaddy of modern sci-fi, few movies have tried (or dared) to copy its pacing.

6 hours ago, publicist said:

I always applauded old Draxi's Bette Davis marathons. Your unhealthy obsession with three movies made in between 1989 and 1997 - less so.

I'm sorry that I enjoy things.