What Is The Last Film You Watched? (Older Films)

Mr. Breathmask

16 hours ago, Sweeping Strings said:

Dirty Harry - celebration or critique of 'hardline' policing methods? Don Siegel lets you decide, whilst Eastwood's Inspector Callahan busies himself with the search for a killer terrorising San Fran and in the process creates one of cinema's most memorable anti-heroes, all backed by a fantastic Lalo Schifrin score. A seminal cop thriller.

I've said it before, the back and forth on that question really throws this movie way above the heights of similarly promised movies--its sequels included. Lalo Schifrin's best score, too.

I guess Dead Pool gets points for being so wacky and dumb that it's just a barrell of fun. Not so good Schifrin score.

4 hours ago, Nick Parker said:

I guess Dead Pool gets points for being so wacky and dumb that it's just a barrell of fun. Not so good Schifrin score.

Visually it looks a bit low rent to. 

Neeson is good though.

28 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

Visually it looks a bit low rent to. 

Neeson is good though.

He's like a trained seal: give him a fish, he'll perform.

Low rent is the perfect way to describe it on practically every level, it's basically Dirty Harry direct to video (Dirty Harry and the Dead Spool?) It's probably why Drax enjoys it the way he does!

8 hours ago, Nick Parker said:

I've said it before, the back and forth on that question really throws this movie way above the heights of similarly promised movies--its sequels included. Lalo Schifrin's best score, too.

DH pretty much invents the 'loose-cannon cop' sub-genre.   

Lethal Weapon 3 - it seems strange to say that a film that opens with the destruction of an entire building seems more subdued than its predecessors, but it undoubtedly is. Richard Donner apparently toned down action scenes in favour of emphasising the relationship between Riggs and Murtagh, which may explain it. 

Still, Rene Russo is a welcome addition as an ass-kickin' Internal Affairs officer and Joe Pesci returns as the motor-mouthed Leo Getz, now a real-estate agent. Fun enough.

Happy Deathday 2U

What a disappointment! Tried way too hard to top the first one and backfired spectacularly. Jessica Rothe is hilarious as usual, but this sequel lacks the mystique and suspense that made the original such a thrill ride.

4 hours ago, Thekthithm said:

The Girl In The Spider's Web

A bit worse than the first one

Better flick than the first one at least.

:conf:

The Delta Force

Zzzzzzzz. What were they thinking making this so excruciatingly long?! The best part was the plane hijacking but it lost the plot after about the first hour. They could probably only afford to pay Silvestri for only one track, because you hear it over and over.

On 10/3/2019 at 4:22 AM, Pellaeon said:

Recently watched Willow

Nice little movie: a bit slow to get going, and obviously very clearly a children's film, but a good one.

Haven't seen Ladyhawke yet.

1 hour ago, Stefancos said:

Nice Star Wars remake!

As I understand it, the concept of Willow (Lucas wrote the treatment to the film) sprung from the early work on the script that became Star Wars, so the similarity is all but warranted.

It must have been quite a bold production back in its day.

On 10/2/2019 at 8:21 PM, The Illustrious Jerry said:

All Is True (2018)

I recall listening to some old radio plays starring Kenneth Branagh (namely in Romeo and Juliet), so to find out that he was portraying the bard himself was an interesting prospect. His two co-stars, Judi Dench and Ian McKellen, also had their fair share of theatre time. The result of this collaboration is a highly fictionalized account of Shakespeare's toil in his last few months of life, dealing with scandal, family problems, and the tires of 16th century life that's not entirely great but not entirely bad. Mediocre is the word here. Would've been neat to see a more befitting script, perhaps even in Old English as opposed to something closer to common speech.

3 / 5

I think you mean Early Modern English, if it was Old English, it would be earfoðe behæfþ

The Delta Force

Zzzzzzzz. What were they thinking making this so excruciatingly long?! The best part was the plane hijacking but it lost the plot after about the first hour. They could probably only afford to pay Silvestri for only one track, because you hear it over and over.

There's $237 million US that certainly didn't go to waste! Expansive and fantastic. Interesting how the Na'vi have such strong parallels to the indigenous peoples of North America, perhaps this being an allegory that importantly connects the actions of humans against natives, or even just groups of people towards others, particularly in a context that extends beyond history to the present day. Well done James Cameron, but I'm not interested in a sequel.

3 / 5

The 15:17 to Paris (2018)

With all respect to the topic at hand, this just wasn't done the right way. It's not that there wasn't the potential for this to be a good film, but Eastwood takes a different, more unexpected and unconventional take on things that just doesn't hit its mark. It's an all-over-the-place movie, jumping from the childhood of the three heroes to their early 20s, spending around only 25 minutes of the film on the actual train, which is where the bulk of the screen worthy storytelling is to begin with. Again, God bless these men for their courage and action, but I didn't like this movie.

2 / 5

Canadian Bacon (1995)

An unfortunate movie to be John Candy's last released feature.   This farce does not work as a piece of entertainment or as a piece of satire.  It is good for only a few moderate laughs. Generally a mess, and not of the "so bad it's good" kind.

1/4 

Hitman.

Well, it was exactly what I thought it would be: minimal brain activity required, a corny love story and a lot of shooting. And it hardly bothered me at all, although I prefer Russians who speak Russian to Russians. Nothing else was on and this was everything I needed tonight.

The score is unexpectedly interesting and intelligent.

Venom

It was better than Aquaman at least! This wasn't so bad, really. Tom Hardy seemed like odd casting for this role, but he seems to work in it. A breath of fresh air as a stand-alone amid all the shared-universe stuff.

Addams Family 1 and 2

Great visuals, wonderful cast, good laughs... and still I was a bit bored throughout. Kinda weak stories not holding it all together very well, the pacing and timing (at times I wanted them to slow down/tone it down, at times to speed the hell up and get on with it), something was just off for me and a third of the laughs were out of pity, in the "I see the core idea here is really funny even if it was not necessarily executed in the best possible way and is thus not as effective as it could be" way. Still liked them.

Just now, Holko said:

Addams Family 1 and 2

Great visuals, wonderful cast, good laughs... and still I was a bit bored throughout. Kinda weak stories not holding it all together very well, the pacing and timing (at times I wanted them to slow down/tone it down, at times to speed the hell up and get on with it), something was just off for me and a third of the laughs were out of pity, in the "I see the core idea here is really funny even if it was not necessarily executed in the best possible way and is thus not as effective as it could be" way. Still liked them.

Values is far and away the better of the two I think.  The summer camp plot is just comedy gold, and I love the "chemistry" between Christopher Lloyd and Joan Cusack.

1 minute ago, Jay said:

But the scores, what about the scores?

I love Shaiman's score for the first one, although I think it sags a bit in places in the complete LLL form.  The real question is when the heck is LLL gonna take on the sequel?!?

4 minutes ago, Jay said:

But the scores, what about the scores?

They... had their moments for sure. Lovely fitting overall atmosphere.