What Is The Last Film You Watched? (Older Films)

Mr. Breathmask

1 hour ago, Alexcremers said:

I only saw an adult man constantly lusting after a teen boy. There was something unattractive about it. Was this the intention? Anyway, after a while (an hour or so), it started to bother me, so I stopped watching. Save for the music, there was nothing else in the movie that made me want to watch it till the very end.

Well, the older guy is 24 and the boy is 17. But yes, it is a story of their "summer fling". But surely that can't be an issue. We watch constant R-rated excessive acts of violence with gruesome sequences with dismemberments and decapitations and that's not bothersome...but this is for some reason?

Karol

2 minutes ago, Alexcremers said:

The older guy looks 30 and was played by a 31-year-old actor.

And the younger guy was played by an actor around 22. Same difference.

Alex...is this film about paedophilia? 

Karol

1 minute ago, crocodile said:

Alex...is this film about paedophilia? 

Seeing that the older guy looked 30 and the young guy 17, it could be. It made me feel uneasy. 

4 minutes ago, Alexcremers said:

Seeing that the older guy looked 30 and the young guy 17, it could be. It made me feel uneasy. 

Well, he was older than this character back in Interstellar and he looked much younger there so I never for a second thought there was that much of a gap there:

chalamet-interstellar460.jpg

Karol

16 hours ago, Gruesome Son of a Bitch said:

What Lies Beneath

what-3.png

Probably been a while since you've seen this one. Me too. 

Right from the start, I'm concerned by the fact that it's centered around an upper class couple with a gigantic elaborate house and property in Vermont. Harrison Ford AKA Norman is a scientist (??) and Michelle Pfeiffer AKA Claire is an ex-musician from Boston. They do stuffy things like drink white wine at white people parties, take their boat out on a lake, discuss antiquing and driving to look at the leaves change colors, and take baths. Yawn.

But it starts to get good when Michelle is being disturbed by an apparent haunting in their house. She's depressed and appears to be losing her mind but remains entirely sympathetic because Michelle is just so damn good. Even Ford becomes utterly believable and good when he's frustrated by her wacky behavior. The movie has some good ideas, but they don't really go anywhere.

The script is muddled with pointless scenes involving the neighbor and his wife, brief therapy sessions with the late Miles Bennett Dyson and supporting characters of little to no importance. There's no payoff here and it just pads out the running time while Michelle does her thing and holds the movie together.

The plot twist is sort of effective but not entirely shocking. Maybe that wasn't the point. Maybe the script failed once again. In any case, Ford becomes the bad guy rather well, the only time I can remember that ever happening. There is a clumsy ill-conceived chase scene and finally we come in for a landing on this one.

I like it mainly for Michelle Pfeiffer, who always gives a good performance. Most of the movie is focused on her, which helps a lot.

The neighbours are the necessary red herring in this brand of sanitised Hollywood thriller. I remember seeing this at the cinema, and the whole paranoia element in regards to Pfeiffer's nosy neighbour schtick made for some fairly effective curtain twitching and jump scares. I like this movie, but it was tinged with bittersweet realisation: Ford had aged. I remember the sight of his big old man's nose blown up on the big screen. My childhood had officially ended.

I think that until Spielberg did the same thing in 2002, Zemeckis was the only director to have directed two plus 100 million dollars grossers in the same year

Creed II

These newer movies give me a headache every time someone's head gets smashed. And why does Tessa Thompson look so beautiful in these Creed movies but in everything else I've seen her in, she looks weird and a bit androgynous?

Clerks 2

Chasing Amy

They're on YouTube, so I threw them on. I think they hold up better than most of Kevin Smith's movies. What appeals to me the most about these is that they have heart. They may be his best movies.

I don't like Chasing Amy so much (because Amy is basically a self centered slag and I never understood why they desired her so), but for years I thought Clerks 2 was one of my favourite comedies ever. When I was younger.

1 hour ago, Quintus said:

I don't like Chasing Amy so much (because Amy is basically a self centered slag and I never understood why they desired her so), but for years I thought Clerks 2 was one of my favourite comedies ever. When I was younger.

She's a bit annoying but I like the songs, smoking and general atmosphere of late 90s NYC area. The gay black guy is the best character by far.

Clerks 2 has some typical crude Smith humor that was never really funny and doesn't hold up, but the core story about two guys in their early 30s drifting through life and trying to find their place certainly does and that's why it works.

11 hours ago, Sweeping Strings said:

I like how instead of sitting on his ass, Zemeckis made What Lies Beneath during the break in Castaway's filming for Tom Hanks to lose the weight to convincingly play the castaway.  

It's also very well directed. You can usually trust Zemeckis to do a high profile job, even if it's just a run of the mill script (though I like the film for what it is). Excellent use of CGI as well: The bridge in the climax is entirely artificial, but you'd never even begin to think of that.

1 hour ago, Thekthithm said:

I've never seen a Kevin Smith film. His most popular works seemed to come out at a time when I wasn't all that interested in Gen X touchstones.

they are funny if you are borderline drunk, but otherwise grating.  

23 minutes ago, Tom said:

they are funny if you are borderline drunk, but otherwise grating.  

I have a visceral dislike for his work. I know it’s just me, but I cannot stand him. 

3 hours ago, Thekthithm said:

I've never seen a Kevin Smith film. His most popular works seemed to come out at a time when I wasn't all that interested in Gen X touchstones.

Clerks and its sequel are worth watching.

My uncle loaned me his Red State DVD a few years ago and I was surprised by how devilishly good it was - and absolutely nothing like a typical Kevin Smith movie. There's even a chief villain as dastardly as any other top tier B-grade baddie.

HhB9uKm.jpg

Zombieland - ahead of hopefully catching the sequel over the weekend. Funny, icky, a brilliant Bill Murray cameo and a lean 84 minute-runtime ... what's not to like?

Also starring Jesse Eisenberg, Woody Harrelson, Emma Stone and Abigail Breslin.   

I watched the middle hour or so of Lincoln last night (it's the kind of movie I've seen so much I watch favorite parts of it sometimes).

Tommy Lee Jones should have won the Oscar!

Man I love the script so much.  Kushner should've won the Oscar too.

"When will Mr. Wood conclude his interminable gabble? Some of us breathe oxygen and we find the mephitic fumes of his oratory a lethal challenge to our pulmonary capabilities!"

Stealth.

Good enough, though it begs the question: Why didn’t they properly train EDI about obeying orders before enrolling it into the military program? Josh Lucas sounded oddly familiar, Jessica Biel had great moments and Sam Shepard reminded me a bit of Donald Trump.

To my dismay, the score started out with generic D minor music, but it turned out to be a really interesting one, with specialty instruments and surprising choral contributions.

King Kong (2005)

More like King Long. I watched it in parts because it's so long and boring. I have tried over the years to like this one because it seems to have everything I want from this type of action-adventure monster movie. But ultimately I just get bored with it. Jackson has some serious issues with pacing. There's no reason for this movie to be 3 hours long.

It's over an hour of boredom and the over-indulgent movie taking itself way too seriously before we get to what we want: a bunch of guys with guns smoking, venturing onto the island and encountering monsters. Jackson delivers alright, but again, he doesn't seem to get the pacing right. Even the island scenes drag out and the action scenes go on way too long to the point that I lose interest.

The cast is filled with stock characters such as the young white guy and the magical negro, the natives are disturbingly grotesque and the island is about the most inhospitable environment imaginable. It just doesn't work for me. The movie's so full of itself and its spectacle of WETA vfx and there's no joy to any of it. I think Jackson is secretly a fan of the 1976 version as the sympathy for the ape and photographers climbing on top of his body are straight out of that one.

I love the 1976 version because it has a lot of camp and better characters. There's better motivation and conflict for everyone. You've got the hippie environmentalist and oil baron in the midst of the energy crisis, a bunch of blue collar guys and the aspiring floozy who's a super babe and would drive any red-blooded man or ape crazy, plus the gritty 1970s NYC with graffiti-covered El train and Kong jumping between the twin towers. It's just better.

I think the 2005 version did inspire a cool theme park ride, however. The action scenes on the island work well as segments of the ride.

Lose the first hour and it's a good adventure film. But yeah, that three hour... it's hard to justify it. I mean, it's fucking King Kong. But Jackson tried to turn it into A Passage to fucking India.

Gravity.

Not bad, but I’ve heard enough panting for a week. Sandra Bullock wasn’t really great and they should have developed the relationship between her and Clooney: one sad conversation and a heroic sacrifice out of the blue is not enough. The movie somehow feels too short and too long at the same time because of that.

The score has interesting moments, but the final cue did not work for me at all.

2 hours ago, Gruesome Son of a Bitch said:

More like King Long. I watched it in parts because it's so long and boring. I have tried over the years to like this one because it seems to have everything I want from this type of action-adventure monster movie. But ultimately I just get bored with it. Jackson has some serious issues with pacing. There's no reason for this movie to be 3 hours long.

It doesn't need too much in the way of cutting to flow better, but as it is its definitely Jackson's most glacial film. Its not bad for a tragedy to be long and slowly paced, but there is a line.

It also feels unresolved, because a lot of the characters that the films tries to flesh out (Jimmy, the captain, and to a lesser degree even Jack) play no part in the film's actual climax. It just ends too ubruptly.

2 hours ago, Gruesome Son of a Bitch said:

It's over an hour of boredom and the over-indulgent movie taking itself way too seriously before we get to what we want: a bunch of guys with guns smoking, venturing onto the island and encountering monsters. Jackson delivers alright, but again, he doesn't seem to get the pacing right. Even the island scenes drag out and the action scenes go on way too long to the point that I lose interest.

I like the action, although a lot of the CG isn't all too impressive.

But I L - O - V - E how serious this film is about its subject matter. The characters are terrified of the island and want to leave it as soon as possible, which is what any sane person would do in their place: it just draws me into their predicament. The more serious tone also really works for the ending, where one could very easily get misty-eyed. I always do.

**** out of *****