What Is The Last Film You Watched? (Older Films)

Mr. Breathmask

Back To The Future on Blu-Ray, still love the film to this day.

One thing I noticed that there were certain scenes that the film did a brief skip.

The first one was when Doc was about to say, "If my calculations are correct, when this baby hits 88mph you're gonna see some serious shit". I can't quite remember what the second scene was when it did the skip. The third scene was when Doc slowly started to go to the other side of the Clock Tower to grab the cable and his foot first started to slip.

I'm not sure if it's my PS3 that might causing the issue. Has anyone else experienced this?

clean your disc. I always wipe down my disc before putting them in the player.

I got the Titanic DVD/Blu-ray combo pack today, and watched it again since the 3D re-release. For all the flack Cameron got for some rather clunky dialogue and an overstuffed narrative, he really nailed the heart of the story with Winslet and DiCaprio within a real historial backdrop. I loved some of the quieter pre-iceberg scenes with the two, especially the first scene and the infamous portrait scene (which simmers with sexual tension). And the bigger second half is pure filmmaking at its finest. The production values hold up beautifully, and every dollar is up on screen.

Even if you hate Titanic with a passion, you have to admit James Cameron outdid himself with sinking the replica "Titanic" at Baja Studios. Now that's dedication. Shame the 3D combo set doesn't include the DVD, I would've bought that instead.

Marcy and I watched my copy of the Back To The Future blu ray the other weekend and it played perfectly fine

Hmmm, ok.

Clean your disc. I always wipe down my disc before putting them in the player.

I'll try that.

I got the Titanic DVD/Blu-ray combo pack today, and watched it again since the 3D re-release. For all the flack Cameron got for some rather clunky dialogue and an overstuffed narrative, he really nailed the heart of the story with Winslet and DiCaprio within a real historial backdrop. I loved some of the quieter pre-iceberg scenes with the two, especially the first scene and the infamous portrait scene (which simmers with sexual tension). And the bigger second half is pure filmmaking at its finest. The production values hold up beautifully, and every dollar is up on screen.

Even if you hate Titanic with a passion, you have to admit James Cameron outdid himself with sinking the replica "Titanic" at Baja Studios. Now that's dedication. Shame the 3D combo set doesn't include the DVD, I would've bought that instead.

Did you watch the Deleted Scenes?

or the alternate ending.

I've seen the deleted scenes on YouTube. The DVDs in the Blu-ray set don't have them, as opposed to the standalone release. Most of the scenes are interesting, but they grind the film to halt (and were cut for a reason). I really liked the scenes where Rose meets Jack in third class and when they're singing "Come Josephine" after the steerage party. Those were the only ones that should've been left in the final cut.

I just saw The Conspirator, about the trial after the murder of President Lincoln. Well made, well acted, gripping and faithful to the facts. Also for everyone who likes courtroom dramas.

Matt C do you not own a blue ray player?

I don't... not for the present, anyway. When I do get a Blu player, I won't have to re-buy the movie on Blu-ray... it'll be already available.

The Adventures of Tintin

It's been a while, so I popped it in. Once you get over the uncanny valley feeling in some scenes, it's still a rollicking good time. The two long takes, even though it's animated, are still exciting and well-paced. Andy Serkis, ever the reliable Weta motion-capture actor, takes the cake as Captain Haddock. As Spielberg's first foray into full-length animation, it's quite fun when you're in the right mood.

Definitely wouldn't mind seeing Paramount and Sony commission a sequel.

Two long takes? Ones the bike chase, what's the other?

I thought the one where Tintin avoids the gunshots and makes it to the lifeboat earlier on was another one. Not as lengthy as that wonderful bike chase, but I noticed several scenes where a single take lingers before cutting to a different shot. I don't think animated films have had as many scenes like that prior to Tintin.

Haddock's halicination?

Oooh, that one as well. That was kinda neat.

Titanic is without a doubt stunning on blu. It's up there with Ben Hur, Jaws, Up, Beauty and the Beast.

Once again James Cameron shows without a doubt that he is the master at presenting his films on blu and dvd. He goes even beyond his beautiful DVD set.

He's too busy with Avatar 2, 3, and 4.

no he's not. He's working on those (Avatar sequels), but not filming yet, and he's also working on the blu's of the Abyss and True Lies, they'll hit next year, and they'll be great releases.

Titanic is a perfect blu release. Everything we want and expect. Spielberg, please take note.

The only way the Titanic blu could have been improved would be if it came with the option to watch the film with all the deleted scenes integrated back in. I know Cameron wouldn't prefer that version like he does with the Aliens/Abyss/T2 extended versions, but it could be a buried option as an easter egg somewhere, not a touted feature. Would be cool to see that version.

Anybody else think its weird that the standard blu and new dvd versions of Titanic are 2.35:1, while the 3D blu is 1.78:1?

And yet, Aliens pales compared with almost everything else on Blu-ray.

I would pay money never to see True Lies again.

Alex, you are WRONG. ;) Aliens is one of the very best blu ray releases. His restoration of the film is fantastic, and the extra's are extraordinary. The Alien Anthology gets Blu Ray forum's Highest Recommendation. So does Titanic.

Titanic is a perfect blu release. Everything we want and expect. Spielberg, please take note.

What, even JAWS Blu isn't enough?

Jaws is a great blu release, but Steven's refusal to do commentaries is the one lacking feature. But if you'll note somewhere in the forum I said it's among the best blu ray releases.

Jaws is a great blu release, but Steven's refusal to do commentaries is the one lacking feature. But if you'll note somewhere in the forum I said it's among the best blu ray releases.

I see, but that's not going to change, isn't it?

I would pay money never to see True Lies again.

I saw TRUE LIES about 6 times in cinema in my formative years. While not everything in it holds up, it's far from execrable (my shining moment to use the infamous word!)

No, sadly is will not, but wouldn't it be awesome to watch the film and have Spielberg explain why this happened, or why something didn't happen. He alone could provide insight to the film like no one else.

That said his frame by frame restoration of the film is fantastic. I have no real qualms.

Yet he lets Bouzereu make documentary after documentary about his films, sometimes only including some of the featurettes on 2 or 3 disc "limited edition" releases its kind of hypocritical

Personally I'm more bummed that we don't get deleted scenes from Spielberg films than I am that he doesn't do commentaries. Would LOVE to see the deleted scenes from Indiana Jones 2 and 3, Jurassic Park, Tintin, and especially HOOK.

Yes. Spielberg feels that a commentary track ruins the magic of the movie, but an extensive behind the scenes documentary doesn't. That doesn't make a lot of sense to me, is my point.

Really Joe, you must learn to govern your passions, they will be your undoing.

Spielberg believes a commentary track ruins the magic of the movie. That the film should stand on it's own without annotation.

yet he removes guns and replaces them with walkie talkies. Steven include a commentary, those of us that want to listen will listen, those of us who don't want to wont.

I'm hopeful with the Indiana Jones release. It seems much better than the awful original dvd trilogy release with it's pitiful extras.

but the option to not watch with the commentary is included so no harm is done to the magic of the film.

Wouldn't it be cool to watch Jaws towards the end and listen to Steven explain that because the midget isn't in the shot of the underwater cage that he decided to have Hooper live. Or at the pond scene he explains that he originally wanted the shark to jump the bridge but cooler heads prevailed. All that inside stuff is priceless.

At least Cameron does it and we hear his explain that Rose flipping off Warner's Character wasn't some anachronism, or even better as he explains he made a mistake in this shot regarding the build of the Titanic. Or even better the shot of Rose and Jack on the bow (I'm flying Jack) is real light and sky and not a special effect.

Yes. Spielberg feels that a commentary track ruins the magic of the movie, but an extensive behind the scenes documentary doesn't. That doesn't make a lot of sense to me, is my point.

I understand it completely.