What Is The Last Film You Watched? (Older Films)

Mr. Breathmask

14 minutes ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

Oh, yes! I'd forgotten about that one. A thrilling ride.

Yeah, as thrilling as 'The Post'. I give that stuff that it's always watchable - though hopelessly middling in the end, not because of lack of craftmanship but by its own timid aspirations.

2 minutes ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

Technical aspects aside, WILLOW was bullshit, in 1988, and it's bullshit, now.

At least it's no attempt at hardbitten urban stuff, the last thing i want to be directed from a mansion in Bel Air.

9 minutes ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

WILLOW was bullshit, in 1988, and it's bullshit, now.

Its a perfectly enjoyable, escapist fantasy film - which is more than could be said for a lot of its contemporaries in that genre.

On 11/22/2019 at 9:52 PM, Brundlefly said:

5 out of 10 is labelled garbage in your universe?

Well, the script makes the film hot garbage. But overall it was nicely directed, even if it seemed to be a show-off more often than not. So... There it is.

I kind of agree with Apollo 13 being a tad over-polished.  It left me cold when I saw it the first time, but I have since warmed to its approach quite a lot.

In general, though, Howard is too run of the mill.  I actively dislike Rush, actually, and a lot of his other recent output.

9 hours ago, mrbellamy said:

Tintin!

Edit: LOL wtf I keep trying to write Tin - Tin with a space between and the board changes it back to Tintin. Is anyone else having this problem? Did Jay do something?

I did jokingly suggest he utilize the board’s censor feature to correct those who misspell Witch. Guess he actually did it, except for Tintin!

10 hours ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

‘Fraid to say that I felt that APOLLO 13 was stylized, signposted, and ostentatious, beyond my ability to enjoy it. It wanted you to like it, but it tried too hard.

One thing I remember finding odd about the movie is how much of a goof they made Fred Haise out to be. He knocked up his wife accidentally, vomited on the  way up, substituted country music on the tape player for fun, made a crude joke about eating dead rhino ass, couldn’t understand how Swigert figured out the math for oxygen consumption (or something) and somehow forgot there were three people aboard instead of two. And there’s probably more that I’m forgetting. Altogether, it’s a little much.

Avengers: endgame.

That… was pretty, pretty good. Part of me really doesn’t want both Iron Man and Black Widow gone, but another part of me realises it makes the story even better and somehow more realistic. At first I thought their time travel theory wouldn’t hold up, but when it did, I was really happy. Why did the Hulk sound drunk most of the time, though, and why didn’t this grand finale end phase 3? And no post-credit scene?

And where… are… the… themes?! I just cannot believe what a missed opportunity and total mess these Marvel scores have been. So we CAN have multiple great songs that must have been rather expensive to licence and a bunch of themes from the later scores, but we can’t have Black Panther’s music or Thor or Iron Man’s themes from their first movies? And that’s not even the worst of it. The biggest problem I had with Silvestri’s scores still persisted: every time the score needed to move me, it just didn’t. The action music is generic but good, and even though the solemn music isn’t bad either, it’s just not enough. The end credits suite is yet another thematic waste and by all means let’s have plenty of Captain America and Avengers references because Silvestri wrote those themes. And jazz and Iron Man’s theme in the credits? That’s a little late, isn’t it? Oh, John Powell, where are you?

3 minutes ago, bollemanneke said:

Avengers: endgame.

That...was pretty, pretty good. Part of me really doesn’t want both Iron Man and Black Widow gone, but another part of me realises it makes the story even better and somehow more realistic...

...and relatable :)

Look, if they can't even figure out the regular continuity in-between some of the films, then I'm not sure why people still think Marvel could've ever tackled proper musical continuity. And this is considering Endgame is probably one of the better films in referencing past identities.

27 minutes ago, bollemanneke said:

Part of me really doesn’t want both Iron Man and Black Widow gone, but another part of me realises it makes the story even better and somehow more realistic.

Black Widow I get. Tony, though...

With most tragic heroes (tragic here simply in the sense that they die) in the last twenty years - Sir William Wallace, Maximus, Jack Dawson, Frodo (kinda), etc - you do get a sense early on that its not going to end well for them. With Tony, his journey throughout most of the MCUs catalogue has been much too upbeat to truly earn this grim (if powerful) ending. Only in Infinity War does it become clear that they're setting up a sob-story for him.

I'd have much prefered a Last Crusade-type happy ending for the character. Instead, his death feels like an easy fix to write him out of future installments, rather than something truly appropriate for the character. Kind of taints the fun of the character in retrospect, to know his story ends on such a sad (if triumphant) note.

I can accept it, though. Which is more than could be said for the cacophony of the action climax. I think the Russo Brothers were absolutely out of their depth in visualizing that sequence. At some point, it just becomes noise. Dissappointing.

Silvestri saves the thematic gestures for big moments like the portals scene, the funeral or the end credits, etc. He went for a streamlined holistic approach rather than overt statements of every single character theme, which would have made it clunky and disjointed. The idea was to score what's happening, not necessarily who's in it.

I thought Silvestri did an okay job knowing full well TPTB wanted a more or less modern score.  It is symptomatic of the Marvel movies in general.  The quality is consistently high, yet that highest is achieved by never aspiring to greatness.  30 years from now, they will be forgotten movies, but I don't think anyone involved ever really intended otherwise.  

38 minutes ago, Tom said:

I thought Silvestri did an okay job knowing full well TPTB wanted a more or less modern score.  It is symptomatic of the Marvel movies in general.  The quality is consistently high, yet that highest is achieved by never aspiring to greatness.  30 years from now, they will be forgotten movies, but I don't think anyone involved ever really intended otherwise.  

I'm not a fan, but you really think these Marvel movies, given their massive success and cultural impact, will be forgotten 30 years from now?

5 hours ago, Tom said:

Perhaps forgotten is a strong word (I hear that "no one is ever really gone"), but I doubt that I will have many fans of the then current generation.  

The generation growing up with them right now will disagree. You're just being an old man.

AVENGERS ENDGAME DVD is going for £1 at my local thrift shop. I might just pop up there, today, and get it. Or course, having seen a grand total of four out of (insert number here) MCU films, I probably won't have a clucking foo what's going on. Still, as a great captain once said: "Sounds like fun".

A View to a Kill

Moore is checking out in this one. Not his finest hour, to say the least. He still has that charm about him but seems tired and worn out, going through the motions. He is visibly aged and no longer has that twinkle in his eye!

The direction and editing in this one are a disaster. There are some memorable supporting characters and, I mean this sincerely, Christopher Walken's over-the-top villainous turn as Max Zorin carries the movie. Without him, it would be too much of a trainwreck to stomach.

All of the other Roger Moore Bonds are among the best. He was past his prime by the mid-80s and the production didn't do anything to help matters. A bizarre spliced-in "California Girls" during the opening skiing scene really sets the tone for this one, seguing into an equally bizarre low-tech opening title scene with blacklit women while Duran Duran do the best they can to make this shit still seem cool. Thankfully, a younger more badass leading man would soon put on the suit for a brief but memorable Bondian twofer.

4 minutes ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

AVENGERS ENDGAME DVD is going for £1 at my local thrift shop. I might just pop up there, today, and get it. Or course, having seen a grand total of four out of (insert number here) MCU films, I probably won't have a clucking foo what's going on. Still, as a great captain once said: "Sounds like fun".

It's a rip-off.

2 hours ago, Gruesome Son of a Bitch said:

A View to a Kill

Moore is checking out in this one. Not his finest hour, to say the least. He still has that charm about him but seems tired and worn out, going through the motions. He is visibly aged and no longer has that twinkle in his eye!

The direction and editing in this one are a disaster. There are some memorable supporting characters and, I mean this sincerely, Christopher Walken's over-the-top villainous turn as Max Zorin carries the movie. Without him, it would be too much of a trainwreck to stomach.

All of the other Roger Moore Bonds are among the best. He was past his prime by the mid-80s and the production didn't do anything to help matters. A bizarre spliced-in "California Girls" during the opening skiing scene really sets the tone for this one, seguing into an equally bizarre low-tech opening title scene with blacklit women while Duran Duran do the best they can to make this shit still seem cool. Thankfully, a younger more badass leading man would soon put on the suit for a brief but memorable Bondian twofer.

Yeah, he maybe could've called it a day after For Your Eyes Only but SHOULD have after Octopussy. Speaking of Bond ... 

The November Man - perhaps a still-undimmed yearning for Bond led to Brosnan starring in and exec-producing this passable espionage actioner, who knows? Something similar might also be why Olga Kurylenko accepted her part. The only other cast member I recognised was Will Patton.