What Is The Last Film You Watched? (Older Films)

Mr. Breathmask

My most impactful viewing of The Return of the King (and the most impactful film-viewing experience of my life, possibly) was on a 20'' TV screen, so I'm going to say no.

35 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

Of course you did.

Joe loved it too. Most people seems to love it 

I wouldn't be surprised if it's one of Nolan's lesser loved movies though. 

At no point did Tarantino state that Dunkirk is a masterpiece. Although it's quite amusing to me that Alexcremers is one of those sorts who falls for click baity hyperbole YouTube vids (I saw the same one).

We all sat and watched The Truman Show together yesterday as a family. I hadn't seen this since the cinema. It's a good film, but I never understood why it was such a luvvie with the critics back in the day. The music is quite nice too, but of its time. I'd probably give this film 3.5 out of 5.

Blindness-165876271-large.jpg

The critics hated it but I don't know why. It perfectly shows how in no time our society can collapse and without the need to turn people into zombies. An arthouse apocalyptic movie directed by Fernando 'Two Popes' Meirelles. 7/10

6434_5.jpg

On 1/13/2020 at 8:34 AM, Chen G. said:

Truly great films work regardless of how you watch them.

That is nonsense. The need of a big screen is not exclusively a matter of quality, but also of genre. By the way, I wouldn't use the word "masterpiece", but Tarantino is basically right.

46 minutes ago, Brundlefly said:

That is nonsense. The need of a big screen is not exclusively a matter of quality, but also of genre.

And how is “you need to see this film on a screen of a certain size to truly ‘get’ it” different to “you need to read this tie-in book/comic to truly ‘get’ it”?

Great films require no prerequisite for enjoyment. Sure, they could be enhanced by a large screen, a better format, prior knowledge, etcetra - but still be perfectly enjoyable even on the smallest of screens.

51 minutes ago, Brundlefly said:

That is nonsense. The need of a big screen is not exclusively a matter of quality, but also of genre. 

More accurate would be: The need of a big screen is not exclusively a matter of quality, but also of intent.

Borg vs McEnroe - dramatisation of the build-up to the 1980 Wimbledon men's singles final with the cool, calm and collected Swede chasing his fifth consecutive win and the hot-headed, gobby and abrasive Yank looking for his first. Highly enjoyable, even if tennis isn't particularly your thing.    

Blade Runner: The Final Cut

Seeing the film projected in a new 4K transfer gives it a different perspective than seeing it on TV or on home video. Ridley Scott wisely didn't ask the restoration team to remove any of the grain, it retains that nice filmic look. Vangelis' score sounds amazing in surround sound and the visuals still hold up. There's still details in the film that you pick up every time you watch it.

It's still a flawed classic. The fight between Deckard and Pris is hysterically funny than ominous or blood-pumping, Sean Young's performance is stiff and unconvincing as Rachel, and while Vangelis's score is mesmerizing and beautiful -- it dates the film. But still, it's no wonder people love it and continue to write about its universal themes. The pacing gets to be a bit grueling near the end, but it still offers up food for thought.

Just now, Stefancos said:

But shouldn't it be?

Her performance as an "almost perfect" replicant should have some personality. 

She barely had any chemistry with Harrison Ford, who had more chemistry with Joanna Cassidy.

10 minutes ago, Matt C said:

Her performance as an "almost perfect" replicant should have some personality. 

But is she supposed to be almost perfect, or just hard to identify as a replicant because she doesn't know she is one?

Disney+:

Who Framed Roger Rabbit

This is still my favorite Disney movie. This was the best era for me. The live action flicks were good, the animated flicks were beloved again and this one combines the two to extremely entertaining effect. At its core, it's a story of a depressed washed up alcoholic (played brilliantly by Bob Hoskins) who eventually kicks the habit and finds joy in life again. The supporting cast of cartoons and humans are all memorable and the pairing of Disney and Warner Brothers characters is legendary. A great production all around and just as fun as it ever was when I popped in the videocassette.

Tron: Legacy

I caught this one on telly years ago and was surprised by two things. One, that it was ever made considering the very cult following for the original movie and two, that it turned out alright considering how boring the original is. Michael Sheen is the highlight, but there are very cool visuals and music despite the other characters being slightly boring. The ending is a mess and it certainly raises all sorts of questions about organic lifeforms in a digital environment and vice versa (It's absurd, really), and there are some awkward uncanny valley de-aging effects that are extremely hit-or-miss. Still, it manages to entertain me in a way the first one never could.

Honey, I Shrunk the Kids

Another classic late 80s flick with a stellar James Horner score, fun action and adventure in the oversized world with bugs as giant monsters and a memorable cast. The annoyed neighbor who just wants to go fishing and also played a time traveler on Star Trek is the highlight for me. Do kids these days even know who Rick Moranis is? Does Disney even produce live action films that aren't Star Wars or Marvel anymore? I miss Frank Wells and Michael Eisner.

Coincidentally I watched that new Tom Hanks-produced doco The Movies: The Eighties Part 1, where Zemeckis said WFRR was probably the most complicated and insane film production ever committed. Wasn't it the most expensive movie ever at the time in 1988 along with Rambo III?

On 1/15/2020 at 10:29 AM, Þekþiþm said:

Yeah I didn't mind that one. But that vein on Borg's forehead made me feel sick.

I was actually able to watch it without any of the crazy shit that LaBoeuf's gotten up to these last few years coming to mind, surprisngly.  

Alita: Battle Angel

Ehhh it was okay. I remember like 20 years ago, this was listed on Cameron's future movies list on IMDb but it took forever to materialise and seemed way more exciting back then. Instead now it gets lost in the sea of other similar CGI flopbusters. Anyhoo, you get used to Alita's funny big eyes. I was shocked when I looked her up that she has the exact same birthday as me, so they picked an oldie to play a teenager, huh. I had no idea the score was by Junkie XL until the end credits but it had its moments of fleeting interest. Anti-climactic ending is a disappointment.

On 11/24/2019 at 12:39 PM, crocodile said:

Oh and I also watched Midsommar twice last week. Once on 4K Blu-ray and once on extended director's cut. The shorter version is better. The 3-hour version, while fine, doesn't really make much of a difference and I would argue some of the additions ruin the nice ambiguous anxious feeling. The relationship between Dani and Christian is so awkward because they don'tvcommunicate properly. So having an extra argument scene in the middle of the film where they actually spell things out a bit redundant. You already get it. It feels a bit like the extended US cut of The Shining. It's OK but unnecessary. Having said that, I liked some of the extra ritual bits in there. One other thing I'd like to add is that the 4K version of this film is drop dead gorgeous. The Blu-ray looked fine but this is on a completely different level.

Wait a minute, that overlong garbage has an even more unbearable version?!

6 hours ago, Quintus said:

I've never seen The Rocketeer. I remember the overexcited Horner theme on some old 90s compilation album I had though.

That one is certainly worth a watch.

5 hours ago, Þekþiþm said:

Alita: Battle Angel

Ehhh it was okay. I remember like 20 years ago, this was listed on Cameron's future movies list on IMDb but it took forever to materialise and seemed way more exciting back then. Instead now it gets lost in the sea of other similar CGI flopbusters. Anyhoo, you get used to Alita's funny big eyes. I was shocked when I looked her up that she has the exact same birthday as me, so they picked an oldie to play a teenager, huh. I had no idea the score was by Junkie XL until the end credits but it had its moments of fleeting interest. Anti-climactic ending is a disappointment.

Looked like something for the video game/anime crowd. Cameron as a producer doesn't interest me in the least.