Jump to content

What Is The Last Film You Watched? (Older Films)


Mr. Breathmask
 Share

Recommended Posts

47 minutes ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

To the songs they're playing, on the radio.

 

 

Yeah, anyway...the "BLADE RUNNER" reference? Anyone? @Quintus?

 

Fascinating film. Hey now that you brought it up, has anyone else here seen Blade Runner? Thoughts?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, publicist said:

@Terrence Malick: More art, please!

Don't give him ideas!

 

2 hours ago, Chen G. said:

Yes. Not all film is good art, though.

No. Film is not a criteria for art, a completely commercialized film without a real artist behind it can barely stand that definition.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Chen G. said:

Film is an artistic medium: its one of the arts.

It should be one, but that rigid definition is bullshit. The medium is not enough to justify a work to be considered art.

4 minutes ago, Chen G. said:

Whether it finds commercial success or not is besides the point.

Financial success is of course irrelevant.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Quintus said:

Fascinating film. Hey now that you brought it up, has anyone else here seen Blade Runner? Thoughts?

It's alright. Saw it in 1982. Couldn't remember much.

 

 

5 hours ago, Stefancos said:

Does anyone think Deckard is a skin-job?

Fuck that! No, no, no!!!!!!

 

 

2 hours ago, Holko said:

Is art art?

Fuck art. Let's dance.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

A trio of Coen brothers' films:

 

A Serious Man (2009) 4.5 / 5

O Brother, Where Art Thou (2000) 5 / 5

Burn After Reading (2008) 3.5 / 5

 

No matter the subject or the intention, I always find myself smiling at each and every line of the Coens' scripts, even if they aren't inherently funny, per se. A Serious Man and O Brother, Where Art Thou are a pair of extraordinarily well-written movies, and while I liked Burn After Reading it wasn't exactly my favourite of theirs. 

 

"Even though you can't figure anyything out, you will be responsible for it on the midterm."

 

As well as:

 

Free Solo (2018)

Doc about Alex Honnold, the man who climbed El Capitan without ropes. A superhuman achievement marred by the fact that the guy's a bit of a jerk to his girlfriend and mother. 3 / 5

 

Moonrise Kingdom (2012)

Perfect. 5 / 5

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, The Illustrious Jerry said:

A Serious Man (2009) 4.5 / 5

O Brother, Where Art Thou (2000) 5 / 5

Burn After Reading (2008) 3.5 / 5

I'd give them all 4/5.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, The Illustrious Jerry said:

A trio of Coen brothers' films:

 

A Serious Man (2009) 4.5 / 5

O Brother, Where Art Thou (2000) 5 / 5

Burn After Reading (2008) 3.5 / 5

 

No matter the subject or the intention, I always find myself smiling at each and every line of the Coens' scripts, even if they aren't inherently funny, per se. A Serious Man and O Brother, Where Art Thou are a pair of extraordinarily well-written movies, and while I liked Burn After Reading it wasn't exactly my favourite of theirs. 

 

Out of interest, are you Jewish by any chance?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Art movies are these black and white flicks made on the 60s on which there's a couple naked on the bed, the dude smoking, then he gets up and, with his dick hanging, starts philosophing about the meaning of the life in French?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Edmilson said:

Art movies are these black and white flicks made on the 60s on which there's a couple naked on the bed, the dude smoking, then he gets up and, with his dick hanging, starts philosophing about the meaning of the life in French?

 

This guy arts.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, Edmilson said:

Art movies are these black and white flicks made on the 60s on which there's a couple naked on the bed, the dude smoking, then he gets up and, with his dick hanging, starts philosophing about the meaning of the life in French?


They're probably also drinking coffee which would still look black as tar even if it was in colour.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 hours ago, Edmilson said:

...made on the 60s on which there's a couple naked on the bed, the dude smoking, then he gets up and, with his dick hanging, starts philosophing about the meaning of the life in French?

 

I love that film! Jean-Louis Trintignant was great...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

Yeah. I caught that. Jane Birkin wasn't bad, either.

It was a classic. Crisp monochrome photography; stunning Parisian backdrops. Oh, geez, and that scene in Nice - fucking heartbreaking!

5/5

 

The mise en scene was incredible! Almost as artistic as Blade Runner, 2001: A Space Odyssey, Star Wars, Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom, Lord of the Rings, and Braveheart combined! 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

Fuckin' A! And that wonderful jazz-infused soundtrack

 

Yeah, but only as source music for the scenes on which the main couple is on a dark cafe, talking about their relationship and, again, philosophing about the meaning of life, or the lack of it.

 

One of the Tarantino's favorite scenes ever.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Fuck DEUCE BIGALOW! 

 

This is among the greatest films of the last fifty years!

 

6 minutes ago, Edmilson said:

Yeah, but only as source music for the scenes on which the main couple is on a dark cafe, talking about their relationship and, again, philosophing about the meaning of life, or the lack of it.

One of the Tarantino's favorite scenes ever.

I can see why. The way that the camera stays on a close-up of her, while maintaining a medium shot of him, suggesting that she wishes to commit, but that he's not so sure, symbolically pulling away, is masterful.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Patriots day.

 

At first the fucking multitude of characters made it a bit hard to get attached to anyone and I was so fucking captivated that I was looking up the time of the fucking explosions on Wikipedia, but after that I got a bit more interested. Rachel Brosnahan and J. K. Simmons are fucking great, Mark Wahlberg is fucking annoying. Ooh, barack Obama… Those were the days. Shootout, nice, didn’t see that coming. Katherine’s interrogation is kind of cool. The speeches at the end are sickening and ridiculous.

The score is harmless. A track title from Gone Girl summarises it better than I ever could: Background Noise.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Guidelines.