What Is The Last Film You Watched? (Older Films)

Mr. Breathmask

A View To A Kill - Moore's Bond swansong is mostly a middling, pedestrian affair. It being the fourteenth in the series and the seventh to star the by-then late-50s Rog give the thing a tired air ... there are some sparks of life detectable with the likes of Walken's villain, Jones' henchwoman and the music but it's not really enough.

I also tried to give Suburbicon a go last night ... bailed after 25 minutes. I took it as a bad sign that I'd mildly chuckled exactly once in that time at something billed as a 'darkly funny satire'.   

3 hours ago, Alex said:

It took me long enough, but I finally got around to watching The Dark Knight trilogy:

If you want, you can relinquish your personal possessions to the Church Of Nolan.

7 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

I'm sorry to say those are hours you'll never get back.

The one criticism I had was that the films simply weren’t long enough... 

It’s been 15 years since Batman Begins came out and that’s how long each film felt.

The Sixth Sense is the defining gimmick driven movie of M. Knight Salamander's career. It's a one and done affair, which I thought was just alright upon that first viewing. I enjoyed Signs more, because it had a sense of humour. 

57 minutes ago, Quintus said:

It's a one and done affair, which I thought was just alright upon that first viewing. I enjoyed Signs more, because it had a sense of humour. 

I also really like Signs, but I don't think its as a good a movie.

I don't think the twist in The Sixth Sense of a gimmick because its threaded through damn near every frame of the film, and facilitates the final catharsis for the character of Malcolm, but nor do I think that twist is the point of the movie. If it weren't there, the film would be a terrific drama about a psychiatrist struggling to reconnect with his wife through helping a frightened young boy reconnect with his mother.

Its lovely.

I remember the first time I watched it, the ending completely flew over my head. I thought he came home and the wife was mad at him for not wearing his wedding ring. I thought the ghosts took it off him! I'm not kidding either, this is what I really thought when I was 14!

David wanted to rewatch the Joker because he felt he didn't give it a fair shake. He foumd he has. Joker remains a terrible film. 

I had limited expectations for Jojo Rabbit. Fortunately they were met and exceeded. 

22 minutes ago, Þekþiþm said:

I remember the first time I watched it, the ending completely flew over my head. I thought he came home and the wife was mad at him for not wearing his wedding ring. I thought the ghosts took it off him!

which doesn't matter because the dramatic function of the scene - that being that Malcolm lets go of Anna so she could get on with her life, and both of them can be at peace - remains intact.

Its not what's happening that matters - its the meaning behind it that does.

1 minute ago, Chen G. said:

which doesn't matter because the dramatic function of the scene - that being that Malcolm lets go of Anna so she could get on with her life, and both of them can be at peace - remains intact.

Maybe, but that still doesn't change the fact that as a 14-year-old, I had a severe and complete miscommunication with what the film was depicting, and needed someone else to correct me.

3 hours ago, Þekþiþm said:

Maybe, but that still doesn't change the fact that as a 14-year-old, I had a severe and complete miscommunication with what the film was depicting, and needed someone else to correct me.

Yes we know you have trouble following movie plots. 

Prisoners was very good, right up until the little old lady scene in the finale. That's where it fell squarely into James Patterson territory. That left me ultimately disappointed. 

Good film not great. 

3 hours ago, Chen G. said:

I also really like Signs, but I don't think its as a good a movie.

It's downright bad in places. But it's a fun little thriller overall. 

14 hours ago, Koray Savas said:

The Lighthouse

Love how all the elements came together to form this one: cinematography, score, sound design, costume design, production design, acting. Really well done. 

If I wasn't sober I could have played the Lighthouse drinking game where you take a shot every time Robert Patinson jerks off. Maybe then I wouldn't have been so bored.

1 hour ago, Gruesome Son of a Bitch said:

If I wasn't sober I could have played the Lighthouse drinking game where you take a shot every time Robert Patinson jerks off. Maybe then I wouldn't have been so bored.

Twice?

4 hours ago, Koray Savas said:

Says the man that couldn’t understand Serenity!

What's not to understand about SERENITY?

A bunch of smugglers go around the universe trying to not get caught by the space cops, while some doctor guy tries to stop his A-1 nutball sister from going off the deep end.

Easy :)

4 minutes ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

"That's where you are, Quiller; in the gap".

Hilly, don't forget Max Von Sydow, as Oktober.

My apologies :) I think I was too dazzled by Fraulein Berger...

...but in seriousness you're quite right. Oktober is a quietly brilliant villain. Compared to the Bond villains of the time. 

SENTA.jpg

50 minutes ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

A bunch of smugglers go around the universe trying to not get caught by the space cops, while some doctor guy tries to stop his A-1 nutball sister from going off the deep end.

Don’t tell me, tell Drax!

3 hours ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

Despite all that, there's no real point to it all and I struggle in finding a hook.

There's no real "hook" to find, Jerry. Just sit back, and enjoy the ride (although it helps, if you've watched FIREFLY).

7 hours ago, Koray Savas said:

Don’t tell me, tell Drax!

Not me, you idiot! Him!

3 hours ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

There's no real "hook" to find, Jerry. Just sit back, and enjoy the ride (although it helps, if you've watched FIREFLY).

As I've said many times in this ongoing discussion, I have watched and enjoyed Firefly. But I still find it difficult to follow the storyline to Serenity and it just loses my interest every time I attempt it. The film is just so super boring. The only thing I really liked about it was David Newman's score.

1 hour ago, Þekþiþm said:

The only thing I really liked about it was David Newman's score.

Would you have liked Chiwetel Ejiofor better if he was Caucasian? 

MV5BNjVjMWIwMTQtYTY4Yi00MTIzLTk0NTktZDNl

5 hours ago, Þekþiþm said:

As I've said many times in this ongoing discussion, I have watched and enjoyed Firefly. But I still find it difficult to follow the storyline to Serenity and it just loses my interest every time I attempt it. The film is just so super boring. The only thing I really liked about it was David Newman's score.

This is not a good death.

It didn't help that FIREFLY was broadcast out of sequence, and that it had zero chance of developing characters and plot threads.

If you don't like SERENITY, you don't like it, and that's that.

3 hours ago, Alexcremers said:

Would you have liked Chiwetel Ejiofor better if he was Caucasian? 

MV5BNjVjMWIwMTQtYTY4Yi00MTIzLTk0NTktZDNl

He's fine, just as he is.

1 hour ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

He's fine, just as he is.

I know that you like different coloured actors and musicians, but Drax? Heck, I think he even regrets Morgan Freeman's participation in Se7en. ;)

49 minutes ago, Alexcremers said:

Heck, I think he even regrets Morgan Freeman's participation in Se7en.

What about the prospect of Morgan Freeman playing Gandalf, a suggestion made by one Bob Weinstein?:lol: