What Is The Last Film You Watched? (Older Films)

Mr. Breathmask

Yep, Spielberg is never going to direct Trump. He needs to revere, pay tribute, admire, celebrate, and that's kind of impossible with Trump.

23 minutes ago, Brundlefly said:

TRUMP

Starring

Alec Baldwin

Directed by

Oliver Stone

Music by

John Williams

Sounds lovely...

Sounds like a live action remake of The Boss Baby.

6 minutes ago, Brundlefly said:

You're very harsh on that movie.

Perhaps. From what I've seen, there was nothing wrong with it, per se. It was well-performed, handsomely-shot and coherently-plotted.

But its dull.

Brings to mind something Pauline Kael once wrote: "it's stately, respectable... and dead."

I'm surprised how hard JW Fan is on Lincoln. It's easily Spielberg's best film of the decade, and one of few recent efforts that would crack into my top ten from him. It's far from dull if you have an appreciation for energy that isn't necessary reliant on action. Take the scenes in the House of Representatives for example. They are some of the smartest and sharpest material Spielberg and company have graced us with in quite some time, moved effortlessly onward with thanks to Kushner's aces screenplay, fantastic performances from Day-Lewis and a plethora of solid character actors, and Williams' reflective score. One gets the sense that any other director would surely have struggled through all of this, which makes the near seamless delivery here all the more special. 

Plus, Spielberg gets to harp on the family theme, an area his recent output hasn't allowed him to touch on as strongly, which is noticeable considering how comfortable he appears working with it.  It's a mammoth of a film in so many ways and I think it meets every possible standard for what it covers. It is emotional, provocative, inspiring, meticulously written, well-balanced in drama and humour, and, in short, one of my favourites. 

2 hours ago, The Illustrious Jerry said:

I'm surprised how hard JW Fan is on Lincoln. It's easily Speilberg's best film of the decade

But I switched them all off so what does that mean? And "Speilberg", really? Isn't that a bit old?

4 hours ago, The Illustrious Jerry said:

It's far from dull if you have an appreciation for energy that isn't necessary reliant on action.

Realizing the movie isn’t going to have any action scenes was one of the reasons I switched channels.

Why NOT include war scenes in a American-Civil-War movie?! And by Steven Spielberg, no less? It’s not even that there is no action, it’s that’s such an approach is indicative of the movie’s style and preoccupations: it’s the sort of film that thinks it’s subject matter is so lofty, that having action will somehow taint it, but having people talk in rooms, on the other hand... 

Hence back to “stately, respectable...and dead.”

1 minute ago, Chen G. said:

Why NOT include war scenes in a American-Civil-War movie?! And by Steven Spielberg, no less?

Too much hassle.

1 minute ago, Chen G. said:

Realizing the movie isn’t going to have any action scenes was one of the reasons I switched channels.

Better re-watch Braveheart for the Nth time. ;)