What Is The Last Film You Watched? (Older Films)

Mr. Breathmask

Qui veut la peau de Roger Rabbit?

20200909_074820.jpg

Β 

Hey, last night I started a 1987 movie that I VERY STRANGELY never saw before.

Β 

A John Carpenter "classic" called The Prince of Darkness.

Β 

Wooooaaa, it's been a long time since I saw a so strange movie!

Β 

I'm on a John Carpenter fest, I saw Big Troubles in Little China just before (which I always loved since I'm a teen).

Β 

What are your favourite movies of him?

Β 

Sully and Apollo 13 - a Tom Hanks 'that could've been a tragedy' true-story double-bill last night.

Sully is a typically solid Eastwood offering ... an interesting story, unflashily and economically told with Hanks as dependable as ever. But Apollo 13 takes it ... even thought we all know how it turned out, Ron Howard manages to create tension and suspense by skilfully shuttling between the in-trouble astronauts, their anxious friends and relatives and the NASA mission control bods desperately improvising solutions.
Β 

Sweeney Todd - Hm. I liked it but it felt a bit like a big budget filmed stage production, some characters and the scale and the story structure didn't really feel that cinematic. And now that I read it was based on a stage musical and followed it faithfully, that makes total sense.

Β 

Edward Scissorhands - didn't quite go in the direction I expected in the middle but that's no problem, I loved it.

Kingsman : The Golden Circle - a little more bloated and indulgent than the first film, but there's still spy action funtimes to be had with this as Eggsy, Harry and Merlin take on Julieanne Moore's peddler of lethally-tainted recreational drugs with the help/hindrance of Statesman, their US 'brother' organisation.

Covid has apparently delayed the release of prequel The King's Men until next year.

2 hours ago, PuhgreÞiviÞm said:

They usually turn out as some kind of big lizard!

He was more like CLU, in human form.

Β 

Β 

Β 

Β 

1 hour ago, AC1 said:

Matthew_Goode_in_Brideshead_Revisited_Wa

Β 

Agent Carter and Ozymandias finally together!Β 

Where's the teddy bear? It's not BRIDESHEAD REVISITED without the teddy bear.

2 hours ago, NaΓ―ve Old Fart said:

Where's the teddy bear? It's not BRIDESHEAD REVISITED without the teddy bear.

Β 

No teddy bear, Richard.Β Β Andrew Davies must have left it out for the movie. BTW, I never watched the TV series.Β 

2 hours ago, PuhgreÞiviÞm said:

Phwoar wacko the diddlio

I expect that's Klingon for "hello".

Β 

Β 

Β 

11 hours ago, AC1 said:

No teddy bear, Richard.Β Β Andrew Davies must have left it out for the movie. BTW, I never watched the TV series.Β 

It's very good...and it has a teddy bear.

If you want to watch a very good parody of BRIDESHEAD, check out a show called BRASS - pronounced "br-ass", and not "br-arse".

Darkest Hour

Β 

darkest_hour4-1784e.jpg

Β 

Β Commissioner Gordon and ...

Β 

tumblr_inline_ot1b4km3Ra1swa0ml_1280.png

Β 

Β ... Stannis BaratheonΒ together in one movie!

Β 

I thought it was better (less political) than Lincoln. It's also a nice companion piece to Dunkirk.

Β 

Β 

Phantom thread.

Β 

I really liked the slow pacing. Vicky Krieps is annoying, though, and I might have found the ending much better had they cast someone without a foreign accent. Daniel Day-Lewis accepting his fate makes no sense to me either. His performance is fantastic, though, and I really felt for him right up until that final dinner scene. Lesley Manville is great and reminded me of a friend who most certainly would not appreciate to be associated with such a character.

The score is a weird mix of pleasant and effective music, a repetitive main theme and cues that are sometimes utterly inappropriate and creepy. There are also a few moments of electronic low frequencies that are totally uncalled for.

Β 

7 hours ago, AC1 said:

Darkest Hour

Β 

darkest_hour4-1784e.jpg

Β 

Β Commissioner Gordon and ...

Β 

tumblr_inline_ot1b4km3Ra1swa0ml_1280.png

Β 

Β ... Stannis BaratheonΒ together in one movie!

Β 

I thought it was better (less political) than Lincoln. It's also a nice companion piece to Dunkirk.

Β 

Β 

In many ways the movie is a send up of WC. I think this aspect was overlooked. It pokes fun at him , for his many foibles - personal and political. But , as was true in reality, in the end it gives him his props as. greatΒ  inspirational leader

On 9/13/2020 at 9:39 AM, NaΓ―ve Old Fart said:

@Bespin

Β 

Bes, why are you surprised that I like STARMAN?

Β 

I think It's not the best role of ... geez, I forgot his name... that actor... in Tron.

2 hours ago, bollemanneke said:

Phantom thread.

Β 

I really liked the slow pacing. Vicky Krieps is annoying, though, and I might have found the ending much better had they cast someone without a foreign accent. Daniel Day-Lewis accepting his fate makes no sense to me either. His performance is fantastic, though, and I really felt for him right up until that final dinner scene. Lesley Manville is great and reminded me of a friend who most certainly would not appreciate to be associated with such a character.

The score is a weird mix of pleasant and effective music, a repetitive main theme and cues that are sometimes utterly inappropriate and creepy. There are also a few moments of electronic low frequencies that are totally uncalled for.

Β 

Β 

I really can't quite put my finger on it, but this shot really haunted me:

Β 

IMG_6706.jpeg?format=2500w

9 hours ago, AC1 said:

Here lies Jeff Bridges ... that actor...in Tron.Β 

Β 

Has it come to this, JWFan?!

Β 

Sorry, my bad, he's that talented young bearded actor in King Kong!

Β 

04 | December | 2012 | All That I Love

Some shots remains ridiculous regarding the 3D effects, but it's still a third and "final" chapter to Jason adventure!

It's in this third movie that Jason finallly finds his famous hockey mask!

β€˜Friday the 13th’ Interview: Gory Game Co-Creator Ronnie ...

Pacific Rim - or Very Big Things hit each other, courtesy of Guillermo Del Toro. A big ol' popcorn sci-fi action/monster movie blockbuster, with excellent effects and plenty of colourful visual dazzle. A lot of fun.

Kick-Ass 2 -Β irreverentΒ superhero shenanigans sequel. Chloe Grace Moretz's Hit Girl is a highlight again, as is Christopher Mintz-Plasse's villain (now calling himself 'The Motherfucker') and Jim Carrey in a guest spot as the leader of a hero 'team'.
Β 

I watchedΒ Tous les matins du monde directed byΒ Alain Corneau, and based on the 1991 novel byΒ Pascal Quignard, who also helped to write for the film adaptation.

Β 

The film focuses onΒ 17th century French violists-composers, who perfected the viola da gambaΒ and the playing technique -Β Marin Marais, his teacherΒ Jean de Sainte-Colombe and his two daughters. Not much evidence survives aboutΒ their personal lives and relationships, so it's likely that the story is mostly fiction, but I really enjoyed it nonetheless.

Β 

After the film, I immediately went to Spotify, and started listening toΒ viola da gamba pieces writen by those composers for like two hours. IΒ did not think that I would enjoyΒ such old pre-classical music, but it all kind of changed my mind. The emotional depth that emerges from the pieces heard in theΒ film is comparable to composers like FrΓ©dΓ©ric Chopin. The film really opened my eyes to some very old music, which I had considered to be too primitive before.

Β 

KKDS-603é¯é«éFΓͺºéñƬjkt.jpg

STAR TREK: INSURRECTION, an utterly charming, and almost entirely inconsequential, Star Trek adventure.

Β 

I followed this with STAR TREK IV: THE VOYAGE HOME, an utterly charming, and almost entirely inconsequential, Star Trek adventure.

Β 

39 minutes ago, AC1 said:

Wow, that's been ages ago. I remember that I liked it. It's probably not even available in 4K.

Β 

I think Blu-ray is the best that you can get as far as home video formats go. The cinema where I watched it had a 35mm copy of it, though, so I was more than happy.Β 

1 hour ago, Biodome said:

I watchedΒ Tous les matins du monde directed byΒ Alain Corneau, and based on the 1991 novel byΒ Pascal Quignard, who also helped to write for the film adaptation.

Β 

The film focuses onΒ 17th century French violists-composers, who perfected the viola da gambaΒ and the playing technique -Β Marin Marais, his teacherΒ Jean de Sainte-Colombe and his two daughters. Not much evidence survives aboutΒ their personal lives and relationships, so it's likely that the story is mostly fiction, but I really enjoyed it nonetheless.

Β 

After the film, I immediately went to Spotify, and started listening toΒ viola da gamba pieces writen by those composers for like two hours. IΒ did not think that I would enjoyΒ such old pre-classical music, but it all kind of changed my mind. The emotional depth that emerges from the pieces heard in theΒ film is comparable to composers like FrΓ©dΓ©ric Chopin. The film really opened my eyes to some very old music, which I had considered to be too primitive before.

Β 

KKDS-603é¯é«éFΓͺºéñƬjkt.jpg

Β 

Haven't seen the film, but I'm familiar with the OST.

Β 

https://open.spotify.com/album/7g60mBeDTlezLzn3I5dVUE?si=HKAuNAJ0TJuZoCjZIrTjdQ

Β 

Did you purchase the film om DVD/BR?

26 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Β 

Ah, so you peeked in a stranger's window who happened to watch the film. :D

Β 

Yeah, that's precisely what I do every evening!Β :lol:Β That's why every household in a 3 km radius around me have all bought new curtains and blinds for all their windows.

Β 

But seriously, I just go to Cinemateket pretty much everytime I want to see something. It's an irreplaceable daily dose of escapism for me, and it's cheaper than buying a DVD, let alone a Blu-ray for a film that will likely just collect dust on the shelf after I'm done watching it.

8 minutes ago, Biodome said:

Β 

Yeah, that's precisely what I do every evening!Β :lol:Β That's why every household in a 3 km radius around me have all bought new curtains and blinds for all their windows.

Β 

But seriously, I just go to Cinemateket pretty much everytime I want to see something. It's an irreplaceable daily dose of escapism for me, and it's cheaper than buying a DVD, let alone a Blu-ray for a film that will likely just collect dust on the shelf after I'm done watching it.

Β 

Of course, watching films on the big screen is the best, but sometimes you'll have to wait a very long time if you want to catch a particular film.