What Is The Last Film You Watched? (Older Films)

Mr. Breathmask

10 hours ago, KK said:

Also revisited that a few months ago and it still moved me deeply. Fan-fucking-tastic cinema.

Could use less Sean Penn though.

I still need to see the extended cut, but I feel like I should revisit the theatrical cut for a third time before I do. 

On 11/29/2020 at 12:00 AM, Jay said:

Can we please just discuss films on JWFan and not perv on the actors in them?  There are other places on the internet you guys can go to do that

On 11/29/2020 at 5:00 AM, Jay said:

Can we please just discuss films on JWFan and not perv on the actors in them?  There are other places on the internet you guys can go to do that

Links, please :)

(that's a little joke)

Revisited British regional gem Little Voice tonight. Obviously, painfully cute Jane Horrocks is the star (with brilliantly OTT support from slapper mum Brenda Blethyn), but I was struck by Michael Caine's comical turn here as a bargain bin fish n glitz sleaze; at times genuinely tender and then hilariously crude. I always take Caine for granted I suppose, when I really shouldn't. He's a talented guy and a really terrific presence in this charmer of a 90s Full Monty era British cinema. A minor golden era when I think about it, overdue a renaissance. 

8 hours ago, Chen G. said:

I have a very simple rule in life: "If Russel Crowe is selling - I'm buying."

Great actor.

Absolutely commands the screen whever he's on. Incredible screen presence. Real charisma

8 hours ago, Jay said:

Can't you just combine all your ludicrous dystopian rules into one, call it "NO FUN ALLOWED", and be done with it? 

Some guy talk isn't "perving" on anyone.

Two weeks ago, you went all indignant because MV Gerhard called some innocent comments "idiotic", now you're calling innocent posters pervs.

In fact, you should apologize for calling innocent posters pervs. 

Crowe looks SO uncomfortable!😛

9 hours ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

Topless?! Where? Did I miss it? Damn!

She did a shower scene in the last episode of season two of GLOW. About effing time!

" Zis is KAOS- ve don't JOKE here!"

3 hours ago, gkgyver said:

Can't you just combine all your ludicrous dystopian rules into one, call it "NO FUN ALLOWED", and be done with it? 

Two weeks ago, you went all indignant because MV Gerhard called some innocent comments "idiotic", now you're calling innocent posters pervs.

If you hate the site so much, you could, y’know, leave. 

4 hours ago, gkgyver said:

He's petrified some of his Hollyweird mates might see what the forum's really like.

You diseased maniac!

18 minutes ago, The Big Man said:

He's petrified some of his Hollyweird mates might see what the forum's really like.....

...A wretched hive of scum and villainy!

Heartbreak Ridge - by the mid-80s Clint Eastwood could've probably played anti-authoritarian veteran military hard-asses in his sleep, but that knowledge doesn't make watching him do so any less fun.

8 hours ago, gkgyver said:

If you don't like it here any more, you're welcome to stop reading and posting. 

The rules haven't changed in ten years. 

I think it's gross behavior that everytime some hot actress is mentioned people ask if she gets naked. But it's incorrect to claim the forums rules have been changed to reflect this. 

I just think we can be and should be better than that. 

40 minutes ago, Jay said:

I think it's gross behavior that everytime some hot actress is mentioned people ask if she gets naked

I once heard it said that "there's nothing wrong about being an admirer of the fine female form."

But whatever, rules are rules, and I'm happy to comply.

Well again there is no rule change or anything.  Just think of what I'm saying as a fellow forum member expressing an opinion, not a mod laying down a new rule

16 hours ago, The Big Man said:

So many sissies here who refuse to admit they like having a good wank to a nice lookin' fittie.

*Cleans dried jizz off laptop screen*

I've never heard such a disgusting accusation in ALL MY LIFE!

Tomb Raider - for me, a more successful depiction of Lara Croft than the Jolie efforts. Alicia Vikander copes ably with the Indy-flecked thrills and spills, and there's solid support from Dominic West as Daddy Croft and Walton Goggins as a suitably hissable baddie. There's also 'high-end' cameos from Derek Jacobi and Kristin Scott-Thomas and fun ones from Nick Frost and Jaime Winstone.

The Godfather. I watched 50 minutes of it feeling rather detached and wondering what on earth was supposed to be so good about this movie: Marlon Brando’s incessant and unintelligible mumbling or the guys killing each other because they didn’t get a part in a movie and because of a lack of interest in drugs.

The main theme is good, but the music sounds way too shrill and over-remastered. For some reason I had the idea that this movie contained the love theme that actually belongs to Romeo and Juliet. AT least that would have made it interesting.

I love The Godfather. Its certainly not without its issues, namely that - for a tragedy - its more Macbeth than Othello, by which I mean that the tragic hero gets reduced to bloodshed pretty quickly, which I tend not to find as compelling as a more gradual descent. But otherwise, its crackin'.

The sequels, though...not for me. I'm fine with watching a good man becoming evil; I have no interest in watching bad people getting worse.

I was so indifferent towards The Godfather when I made the effort to see it many years ago that I didn't ever bother to see Part II. 

I think it's normal for older greats to lose their impact over time. The same stories become updated and seen again in some other film or in some other show, and they're often told in a way which is more accessible and exciting. 

Close Encounters of the Third Kind is another fine movie whose power has greatly diminished over the years. It's quite saddening in a way, but it's only natural that something once vibrant and state-of-the-art eventually comes to feel unremarkable and antiquated. 

CE3K was never a film I really loved anyway. I mean I liked it, but never loved it. Same with ET. I think the domestic family scenes really put me off because it's Spielberg's usual self-indulgent "autobiographical" baggage the silly bugger could never seem to shrug off and it would often manifest in extended scenes of domestic turmoil that just feels irrelevant and distant to me. I've often suspected he tended to exaggerate his home life while growing up which should have made his parents feel a bit embarrassed. The aliens and the John Williams music are all cool though.

His best movies tended to be his less "personal" ones like Jaws, Raiders or TOD.

I have a Godfather boxset (bought from a Virgin Megastore, to give an idea of how long ago) ... I have never actually gotten around to watching them for broadly the same reasons being discussed. It's interesting how off-putting 'But what if I DON'T think they're great?' can be (although I understand this may be less of an issue with the original cut of the third one, lol). 

A Seanery double last night -

The Man Who Would Be King - God's holy trousers! My first time watching this highly amusing Rudyard Kipling adventure yarn, with Connery and Caine on fine form throughout.

The Hunt For Red October - the first big-screen adap of a Tom Clancy novel makes for a nicely suspenseful Cold War thriller, with Connery heading up a stellar cast as the Russian submarine commander who either wants to defect or start World War 3.

56 minutes ago, The Big Man said:

CE3K was never a film I really loved anyway. I mean I liked it, but never loved it. Same with ET. I think the domestic family scenes really put me off because it's Spielberg's usual self-indulgent "autobiographical" baggage the silly bugger could never seem to shrug off and it would often manifest in extended scenes of domestic turmoil that just feels irrelevant and distant to me. I've often suspected he tended to exaggerate his home life while growing up which should have made his parents feel a bit embarrassed. The aliens and the John Williams music are all cool though.

His best movies tended to be his less "personal" ones like Jaws, Raiders or TOD.

You are even more shallow than I thought.

1 hour ago, The Big Man said:

I think the domestic family scenes really put me off because it's Spielberg's usual self-indulgent "autobiographical" baggage the silly bugger could never seem to shrug off and it would often manifest in extended scenes of domestic turmoil that just feels irrelevant and distant to me.

First time I've ever heard this particular complaint about Spielberg. For me (and I suspect many of the folk who enjoy his films), his earlier scenes of domestic mundanity are some of the director's strongest dramatic traits, the household interactions feel real and honest. I actually really miss these stylistic aspects in later Spielberg output; contrast the arguing about Pinocchio vs crazy golf, or the kids freaking out one night in Close Encounters to the awfully written indoor banalities of War of the Worlds and its eye rolling conversions about peanut butter during an alien invasion event. To me the former feels natural and full of truth, whereas the latter completely forced and turgidly out of place. 

I've often suspected he tended to exaggerate his home life while growing up which should have made his parents feel a bit embarrassed. 

Whether he exaggerated it or not, I never once find the scenes in question unbelievable or unconvincing. If Spielberg didn't experience life in this way, then he has an amazingly accurate imagination for it. I tend to think he recognises these family environments, in the same way many of us do. 

By comparison, you seem to have had a different childhood experience; not only struggling to relate to these domestic scenes, but even going so far as to dismiss as phony what Spielberg is depicting. Which could mean all sorts of things. 

2 minutes ago, Quintus said:

By comparison, you seem to have had a different childhood experience; not only struggling to relate to these domestic scenes, but even going so far as to dismiss as phony what Spielberg is depicting. Which could mean all sorts of things. 

Ehh maybe. I grew up mainly just parked in front of the box watching slasher movies on video tape and seeing mum and dad enjoying a plonk at night watching The Bold and listening to Roy Orbison CDs.