What Is The Last Film You Watched? (Older Films)

Mr. Breathmask

Finally saw Its a Wonderful Life in 4k. As David pointed out man this is a great picture(cinematography). It certainly was gorgeous. I didn't know MARY had an older brother. 

Wild At Heart

Nic Cage, Willem Dafoe, and a giant slew of actors from Twin Peaks and other Lynch films. What’s not to love?

Being an adaption, the narrative is pretty straightforward, but you get the typical insanity that comes along with Lynch. Felt like an acid trip for most of the runtime. 

I watched Judy. Honestly I didn't know her very much. Great performance by Zellweger, but it's a very depressing movie. Interesting, well done, but depressing.

After I watched the last Spider-Man. It was fun, it's my kind of humor. And I'll never get tired of this little bubble but.

13 hours ago, Marian Schedenig said:

What if someone manages to catch a preview of a 2022 film before the end of the year?

(Hey, I'm a software developer, I have to look out for these fringe cases)

Just make sure that old Biff is not watching.  

22 hours ago, Koray Savas said:

Wild At Heart

Nic Cage, Willem Dafoe, and a giant slew of actors from Twin Peaks and other Lynch films. What’s not to love?

Being an adaption, the narrative is pretty straightforward, but you get the typical insanity that comes along with Lynch. Felt like an acid trip for most of the runtime. 

I love watching that one with someone who hasn't seen it yet. They're always dropping their bowl of chips, when they're about to sit down on the sofa, but at that point you're already 100 seconds in the movie.;)

Perfect Blue - fantastic visuals and editing, really felt like I was going a bit mad with the main character. And it's exactly because of that that while very engrossing and mindfucky while watching for the first time, in hindsight the plot itself is a lot more straightforward and maybe ever so slightly disappointingly so.

1 hour ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

Bes, check out MEET ME IN ST. LOUIS, EASTER PARADE, JUDGEMENT AT NUREMBERG, and her astonishing performance, in A STAR IS BORN.

Or better her singing career. She belted some mightily impressive numbers in a style that could bring the house down.

1 hour ago, AC1 said:

So, when Judy sings 'Somewhere Over The Rainbow', gays go crazy?

Personally, I wouldn't know, but Garland, like her daughter, is a gay icon.

1 hour ago, Bespin said:

Well, not me. I always hated the verse part of this song, musically, it's insipid.

Did you know that this is the one song that studio heads wanted to be cut, from THE WIZARD OF OZ?

5 minutes ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

Did you know that this is the one song that studio heads wanted to be cut, from THE WIZARD OF OZ?

I understand why!

But I must admit that newer orchestrations of the songs, makes the verses music less "dull" and flat (for me it's like a child singing na-na-na-nana-na-na-naaaa na-na-na-na-na-na-na-naaa) than the traditional versions.

image.png

na na na na na na na na, na na na na na na na na... geez...

Robin Hood: men in tights.

I finally found a Robin Hood movie I like. Thought I had seen Cary Elwes in something else, but turned out to be mistaken. Amy Yasbeck sounds exactly like the woman who played Marian in the musical we went to as kids when she sings. Robin Rees sounds exactly like John Clease. Ooh, Patrick Stewart!

The score is really good. The heroic cues give me Toy Story and Jurassic Park vibes.

Searching for Bobby Fischer.

I already saw this movie, but I don't remember it. Oh, Ben Kinglsey plays in it, wow!

:lovethis:

I don't like Chess, I never wanted to learn this game. I refuse the idea of knowing 10 turns in advance that it's "finished".

I don't subscribe to this idea. I keep the faith till the end, no matter what I guess.

Playing Chess is ART.

That's what I remember from this excellent movie.

9 hours ago, publicist said:

Or better her singing career. She belted some mightily impressive numbers in a style that Scould bring the house down.

...ST. LOUIS is wonderful; one of the few musicals of that era I like!

24 minutes ago, Bespin said:

Searching for Bobby Fischer.

I already saw this movie, but I don't remember it. Oh, Ben Kinglsey plays in it, wow!

:lovethis:

I don't like Chess, I never wanted to learn this game. I refuse the idea of knowing 10 turns in advance that it's "finished".

I don't subsribe to this idea. I keep the faith till the end, no matter what I guess.

Playing Chess is ART.

That's what I remember from this excellent movie.

You don’t have to be a Grand Master to enjoy chess. It’s a fun game to play casually with friends, as well. 

THE EDGE - 1997

One of my favourite films from the 90s. I love the story, it's beautifully shot, and Jerry's score is wonderful.... (that theme :wub:).

For me, it's one of those few films that, when revisiting, feels like slipping into a comfortable leather armchair with a glass of scotch. You know you're in good company.

12 hours ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

Personally, I wouldn't know, but Garland, like her daughter, is a gay icon.

Better yet, a 'rainbow' has become the symbol of gays, lesbians, transgenders and bisexuals.

12 hours ago, Bespin said:

I understand why!

It's a good thing they didn't. It's the most loved song of The Wizard Of Oz.

2 hours ago, AC1 said:

Louis B. Mayer thought 'Over The Rainbow' was too slow for a kids movie. Did kids already have ADHD in the thirties? 

Of course they did, but they got a good thick ear, and that was the end of it.

3 hours ago, AC1 said:

Better yet, a 'rainbow' has become the symbol of gays, lesbians, transgenders and bisexuals.

It's not a true rainbow. It only has six colours.

48 minutes ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

It's not a true rainbow. It only has six colours.

New colours are added when they find new sexual orientations. 

7 hours ago, LSH said:

THE EDGE - 1997

One of my favourite films from the 90s. I love the story, it's beautifully shot, and Jerry's score is wonderful.... (that theme :wub:).

For me, it's one of those few films that, when revisiting, feels like slipping into a comfortable leather armchair with a glass of scotch. You know you're in good company.

I watched The Revenant and my first thought afterward was, not as good as The Edge

21 hours ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

Well, they were, bald, athletic, your wife was away. I just thought you were happy.

'Tooth And Claw', yes? 

1 hour ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Aren't there forty now? Or was it 70?

In the future, the amount of space required at gyms, swimming pools etc for all the different changing rooms is going to be HUGE.   

2 hours ago, AC1 said:

New colours are added when they find new sexual orientations. 

LGBTQI+

That takes it up to seven :)

Add "non-binary" to that and you have eight (oops, or does that come under "+"?)

13 hours ago, Bespin said:

Bes, that's the whole point of the game. It's a game of strategy. It's meant to be played like that.

Well, you can have the ST, which would take up the brown streets, the PT, which would be the red streets, and the OT, which would be the green streets.

The 4 Indiana Jones films would replace the railway stations, and the dark blue streets could be JAWS and JAWS II.

Jail could be HEARTBEEPS, and Free Parking could be CE3K.

Hey! I think we're on to something, here.