The Mark Olivarez Appreciation Thread

Hlao-roo

Here's to Mark, who is apparently leaving us today. What are your best/favorite memories of Mark?

For me personally, it was nice having another member here who followed NBA basketball. Even less reason for me to visit the off topic section now.

It was also nice having someone around who had a deep appreciation for Golden Age film music, and who recognized the greatness of Elmer Bernstein.

Something Mark said about the JWFAN community that I've always remembered (and that I wish he'd remember now, too): "Granted at times most of us bicker and act like idiots and asses but I think deep down we all have a mutual respect for each other and we are a 'family' at times."

why is Mark O leaving us? He's a Jwfan rock. He's one of the 2 best posters here, hands down.

Don't leave Mark,

Well I'll chime in here and say that I hope Mark decides to come back at some point.

Really, out of all the people here on the board it is his taste in music that I respect the most, and when I was early in my collecting it was his good words about other composers and scores that helped me to look beyond Williams and find that there was really a wealth of incredible film music out there.

I started here in around 2005 or so and Williams was my favorite composer. To be honest, he no longer is. He holds that special place in my heart and my collection and I love to death 95% of his work, it's irreplaceable. But now my favorite is Miklos Rozsa. My film music collection consists of more composers than I can even think of. Rozsa, Goldsmith, Bernstein, Giacchino, Horner, Tiomkin, Herrmann, Waxman, Elfman, North, Goldenthal, Delerue, Poledouris, they all hold just as much of an important position in my collection as Williams does. Them and more. I would never have branched out so much in film music if it weren't for Mark, really.

So I thank him for that - his contributions here have done more for my collection and tastes than anyone else here.

why is Mark O leaving us? He's a Jwfan rock. He's one of the 2 best posters here, hands down.

Don't leave Mark,

Check the thread about whether Williams is your favorite composer or not.

I don't post here as often as I used to years ago, but I still lurk and appreciate Mark and his thoughts. It would be a huge loss to this community if you leave, Mark.

I don’t recall ever saying anything that profound Alan.

It’s more than the anti-Giacchino posts, although I’ll be honest and say that’s a small reason.

The main reason is I find I have nothing more to contribute. I find myself forcing posts on the message board to a point I feel like I’m trolling. I’m starting to become the very thing I hate. I have grown tired of the message boards. I quit posting last fall until Marc asked me if I would help moderate the board. I thought that might re-energize me but it didn’t.

John Williams still remains one of my favorite composers but Joe B. makes a very important point, there is so much more. And now the floodgates have been opened and stuff I have yearned for is now in my hands or soon to be in my hands. And as I’ve said, I find Williams current output to be less interesting than what he did prior to the 90’s. I now find myself asking, was Jerry Goldsmith the better composer?

I’m more enthused about Intrada’s Conan release than I am Williams 2 upcoming scores. I find myself hoping that War Horse and Tintin are as good as Super 8, which is my vote for best score of the year so far. But it’s more than Williams’ current output. I find myself becoming more negative to the point I don’t enjoy film music when I’m around the message boards. I’d much rather listen without discussing it with anyone. I find myself deleting more of my posts before I post them. I find more interesting discussions occurring on Facebook on composer pages.

I’m almost at an end when it comes to stuff I really want to stuff I can live without ever seeing a release. I’m more interested in model railroading than I am film music at this point and would rather concentrate my efforts on that.

It was Blume’s post today that got me thinking, plus the lack of sleep lately. I don’t visit these forums when I first log on to the web each day. I find myself going to the model railroad forum I frequent, that’s my “comfort internet food”.

That being said, my personal life, ie career, is about to open a new chapter and I will not have the time nor energy to devote my time to this board.

So without making this thread more of a spectacle than it already is, I’m still on Facebook and won’t be deleting anyone.

In other words, in broad strokes, Mark is leaving for the same reason most have left, just more abruptly. Life butts in, priorities change, interests shift. I respect that. Once again, it's sad to see you depart after all these years, Mark -- silly or not, I'm clearly sentimental about things like this and have no shame expressing as much -- but I wish you the best in everything. You're obviously always welcome here.

I don’t recall ever saying anything that profound Alan.

It’s more than the anti-Giacchino posts, although I’ll be honest and say that’s a small reason.

The main reason is I find I have nothing more to contribute. I find myself forcing posts on the message board to a point I feel like I’m trolling. I’m starting to become the very thing I hate. I have grown tired of the message boards. I quit posting last fall until Marc asked me if I would help moderate the board. I thought that might re-energize me but it didn’t.

John Williams still remains one of my favorite composers but Joe B. makes a very important point, there is so much more. And now the floodgates have been opened and stuff I have yearned for is now in my hands or soon to be in my hands. And as I’ve said, I find Williams current output to be less interesting than what he did prior to the 90’s. I now find myself asking, was Jerry Goldsmith the better composer?

I’m more enthused about Intrada’s Conan release than I am Williams 2 upcoming scores. I find myself hoping that War Horse and Tintin are as good as Super 8, which is my vote for best score of the year so far. But it’s more than Williams’ current output. I find myself becoming more negative to the point I don’t enjoy film music when I’m around the message boards. I’d much rather listen without discussing it with anyone. I find myself deleting more of my posts before I post them. I find more interesting discussions occurring on Facebook on composer pages.

I’m almost at an end when it comes to stuff I really want to stuff I can live without ever seeing a release. I’m more interested in model railroading than I am film music at this point and would rather concentrate my efforts on that.

It was Blume’s post today that got me thinking, plus the lack of sleep lately. I don’t visit these forums when I first log on to the web each day. I find myself going to the model railroad forum I frequent, that’s my “comfort internet food”.

That being said, my personal life, ie career, is about to open a new chapter and I will not have the time nor energy to devote my time to this board.

So without making this thread more of a spectacle than it already is, I’m still on Facebook and won’t be deleting anyone.

God speed.

Posters like you are the reason this place has the warm, cozy, and internet comfort food feel, Mark.

It is a shame to see one of the quintessential members of this MB go. I have appreciated your enthusiasm for film music's wide scope, not just a narrow view, your level-headed discussion and insights that range beyond film music. And I am sad to see you go.

So I too wish you well and all the best Mark and I hope your love for film music will not wane entirely. God speed!

Surely I'm not the only one who has noticed Mark's more and more disinterested tone when posting? It was apparent before he came back (after a break) as mod and it continued afterwards. He feels like he's going around in circles, going through the motions, been there, done that. The same thread questions, the same polls...

I think sometimes a few of us feel the same way about the board, I certainly do. But Mark O has been posting here waaaay longer than I have, so I can completely appreciate where he's coming from. I don't know if I'll last that long, I doubt it.

Maybe War Horse and Tintin will surprise him and provide a reason for him to return, after an extended break (it'll do him good). The board might be reinvigorated with their arrival, who knows. It'd be nice to have him back and for us all to have some great new music to discuss.

And make polls about.

Plenty of times I've left here due to getting bored with the repetition of Top 10 polls and for other reasons.

And I rarely have anything to contribute regarding JW these days, either. Which is why I tend to make threads in Other Topics about interesting (or uninteresting, depending on how you view it) things I've seen elsewhere online. You can only go so far with JW discussion before you're retracing very old ground over and over. Best just head off and do other things for a while to balance things out, rather than make this a formal 'resignation' as such. Eventually you'll find yourself popping in here occasionally again and becoming re-engaged even if it's one off, one liner comments. Burn out usuallys occurs when people have invested too much in their reason for being a member of a message board community and feel that they absolutely 'have' to be a contributor all the time.

Enjoy your break, Mark. :)

Mark, you have always been a very respectful member and I was always particularly fond of your "more than meets the eye" views on the sexiest celebrity thread :)

I feel I have contributed a little to your absence, as I am no Michael Giacchinno fan (I'm sure I didn't even spell his name right), although I don't think I was ever very vocal about it.

I'm sure the 2 upcoming JW scores will bring back your frequent contributions to this forum and I hope for the best in this new stage of your life.

Adeus

I feel I have contributed a little to your absence, as I am no Michael Giacchinno fan (I'm sure I didn't even spell his name right), although I don't think I was ever very vocal about it.

now Mark is a big boy and very well able to deal with someone having a different opinion.

I hope he will be back when Tintin hits.

I guess Jason now has supreme power...

now Mark is a big boy and very well able to deal with someone having a different opinion.

I hope he will be back when Tintin hits.

I guess Jason now has supreme power...

:music: The Emperor Arrives :music:

Perfectly understandable, Mark. Things change, and sometimes you want to divert your attention elsewhere. I wouldn't be surprised if you return (regulars who announce their leaving from a forum, often do), but in the meanwhile -- take a well-deserved hiatus! :)

Wait, Mark, is this about you coming out about Serena Williams? I mean - everything can be forgiven you know. I'm sure we'd all rather forget about that in order to make you stay!

Surely I'm not the only one who has noticed Mark's more and more disinterested tone when posting? It was apparent before he came back (after a break) as mod and it continued afterwards. He feels like he's going around in circles, going through the motions, been there, done that. The same thread questions, the same polls...

I think sometimes a few of us feel the same way about the board, I certainly do. But Mark O has been posting here waaaay longer than I have, so I can completely appreciate where he's coming from. I don't know if I'll last that long, I doubt it.

Maybe War Horse and Tintin will surprise him and provide a reason for him to return, after an extended break (it'll do him good). The board might be reinvigorated with their arrival, who knows. It'd be nice to have him back and for us all to have some great new music to discuss.

And make polls about.

Well said Quint. This isn't the first time Mark O has suffered from burnout, or the first time he's taken a break from posting. It had been MONTHS since he'd been on the board at all when suddenly Marc asked him to be a mod and he returned. At first it did seem to reinvigorate him, but I agree in the last month or so I noticed him posting less, and saying less when he did post.

I respect his decision to leave, but also expect him to return after some time off. I really think Tintin and War Horse will reinvigorate a lot of fans and keep this place pretty busy from quite some time. Between the two scores there's all the different kinds of Williams that people love from what I can tell.

On the moderating side, Mark was invaluable to me, backing me up when needed, catching things I didn't catch, taking charge of things when needed, and generally just working as a team with me to get stuff accomplished. I will miss him in that regard very much.

Be sure to drop in and say hi from time to time, even if you don't ever fully return! :wave:

Yes, I will miss him as well. I just received his Conan cds in the mail on Saturday.

It's amazing to finally have the Conan Destroyer album. Even if it will be obsolete soon..

Thanks, Mark. :up:

Of all of us, he probably has the greatest knowledge of the film score scene. And he could almost always guess the titles whenever a label gave clues.

Mark, you've always been a good guy, and a solid contributor, as well as a very generous fellow collector. I'd hate to see you disappear, but there's no reason you can't chime in occasionally. I tend to come and go as life patterns change, but it's always fun to check back and add a little more graffiti to this virtual wall.

Thanks for the contributions Mark. Just I don't think it's good just to leave like that. You're a moderator and a respected long-time contributor after all. Maybe you can give it a second thought.

Of all of us, he probably has the greatest knowledge of the film score scene.

Oh I don't know about that. Which isn't to knock Mark at all.

Well he probably has the best track record when it comes to guessing upcoming titles. Overall, I think he knows quite a lot about smaller scores that people don't often listen to.

I was thinking: how does this board score to atmosphere compared to other fan boards? Maybe this isn't as nice a place as it could be. Didn't Miguel also leave because of some trouble? I don't remember.

I was thinking: how does this board score to atmosphere compared to other fan boards? Maybe this isn't as nice a place as it could be. Didn't Miguel also leave because of some trouble? I don't remember.

Does JWFan strike you as being an unfriendly, or even hostile place to visit? That's a shame if it does. Everyone's soft here really - new users just need to get past the steep learning curve - a given at ALL internet forums worthy of a loyal following. Didn't Miguel quit because he didn't like some of the "negativity" towards John Williams? I remember him being pretty touchy where the maestro was concerned, like KM can be.

Just sayin'.

The newbies need to be hazed!

You don't belong in our group until you have submitted to being found naked, tied up in your parents front yard with a large apple in your mouth, a candle in your arse and a tatoo on your chest saying I Get Of On John Williams!

The newbies need to be hazed!

You don't belong in our group until you have submitted to being found naked, tied up in your parents front yard with a large apple in your mouth, a candle in your arse and a tatoo on your chest saying I Get Of On John Williams!

That post is worthless without pics.

I'll miss Mark's posts too. He has been one of the few level-headed rational people on the internet. I think I understand where Mark is coming from as far as film scores are concerned. The landscape is far from what our generation grew up with (and got spoiled on). It's harder and harder to get enthused in the same way we did with Goldsmith, Williams, Barry, Horner, etc etc 10, 20, 30 years ago. It's just not the same game. And it's not too much fun as such.

I share much of the same taste in film scores as Mark and I respect his opinions. They are measured and well thought out. He also respects fellow forum members.

Anyhow Mark, all the best. You will be missed!

David

Does JWFan strike you as being an unfriendly, or even hostile place to visit? That's a shame if it does. Everyone's soft here really - new users just need to get past the steep learning curve - a given at ALL internet forums worthy of a loyal following. Didn't Miguel quit because he didn't like some of the "negativity" towards John Williams? I remember him being pretty touchy where the maestro was concerned, like KM can be.

Just sayin'.

No absolutely not, but this is actually the only forum I'm familiar with, so it was just a thought. I am happy to hear this is a 'nice' forum compared to other ones.

Very sad to see you go, Mark, but I've done it myself before on this board, and I'm doing it right now on at least one other board, so I completely understand. Just hope you'll feel a desire to come back at some point. You'll always be welcome here. :)