Elmer Bernstein Thread

Incanus

20 hours ago, Stu said:

As I’ve probably said many times before Mockingbird is my #1 non-Williams film score of all time

I mean if you're talking about the film score itself and not one of the three album recordings, it isn't non-Williams at all! That's him playing piano right away in the main title!

7 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Yeah, I just remembered that box. One of the labels should make these recordings available on CD again.

Probably unlikely...Lukas gave some details at the time of how complicated that box was to make happen, and in the end though limited to 2000 copies it had to be put on sale multiple times to sell out.

https://www.filmscoremonthly.com/cds/detail.cfm/cdID/366/

Yavar

Is it known why the original film recording of To Kill a Mockingbird has never been released on an album?

7 minutes ago, Yavar Moradi said:

Probably unlikely...Lukas gave some details at the time of how complicated that box was to make happen, and in the end though limited to 2000 copies it had to be put on sale multiple times to sell out.

https://www.filmscoremonthly.com/cds/detail.cfm/cdID/366/

That's probably because the box was very expensive. They should release the scores individually or in small box sets - they could test the market with the most popular titles.

6 minutes ago, Yavar Moradi said:

I mean if you're talking about the film score itself and not one of the three album recordings, it isn't non-Williams at all! That's him playing piano right away in the main title!

I meant not composed by Williams of course.

18 minutes ago, Jay said:

Is it known why the original film recording of To Kill a Mockingbird has never been released on an album?

Vaguely. Intrada was all set to do it (they had a program and it was going to be in their Universal branded line at the time… maybe notes had even been written already?)

And I think Roger shared that some producer’s estate put the kibosh on it, for whatever reason… 😢 

So yeah who knows if we’ll ever get the Williams piano performance on album.

Yavar

Would that be Alan J. Pakula's estate do you think?  Although of course we literally just got an expansion of a film directed by Pakula (Presumed Innocent).

I very very much want the film recordings released, and not just because of Williams' presence!  There are passages that I don't think are ever quite captured in the same way in the re-recordings as heard in-film.

Like this magical moment.  The specific orchestration mix of instruments (harp, cello or viola?, flute, piano, celeste) never sounds quite the same in the re-recordings.

In the '97 release the piano/celeste are almost inaudible.

In the '63, the piano is much more prominent (and sounds like a different part to me) and the celeste is almost inaudible.

And in the '76 it's a very different sound with much more prominent celeste and the harp is almost inaudible!

Great comparison of the various versions! Yeah I too want the original film recording really badly, so hopefully the issue can be cleared up some day. Intrada put a lot of work into it before they were forced to pull the plug; that I know.

Personally I think the Ava recording is the most faithful in sound, overall (many though not all of the same players as the film recording). But I think my favorite is the 70s FMC one. It's more its own thing but I love it as a recording/performance.

I'm not wild about the 90s one to be honest. It's not bad or anything but a clear last place for me.

Yavar

2 hours ago, Yavar Moradi said:

I'm not wild about the 90s one to be honest. It's not bad or anything but a clear last place for me.

It's probably partially because it's the only version I knew for so long so it's kind of ingrained.  For me, the 70s recording is the clear last (it just will never sound right to me, but I respect it).  I think the Ava is probably the best performance but the early 60s stereo balancing I just find a little bit off-putting compared to the more natural 90s mix (more natural just in terms of representing the sound of the orchestra).  What I've never heard and would love to hear one day is the mono mix released in 1963, in the day when so many albums got both a stereo and a mono release.  AFAIK that mix has never been re-released after the initial vinyl record.

Not as far as I'm aware and I'm really not sure why the video was hosted by Varese.

There were other videos of the same concert uploaded to Robert Townson's personal Youtube account, I'm guessing he was involved in organizing it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VPdagUSQT1g

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sN9uOzE4GXU

I was actually there. It was a very cool concert. I remember it ended with massive 20-minute suites from Goldenthal's Batman scores and Inception (Zimmer performed on stage as well). 😀

And no, it was never released.

Karol

• 4 months later...
2 hours ago, Jay said:

Quartet Records has released a new Elmer expansion

https://quartetrecords.com/product/the-scalphunters/

AWESOME news. Actually this is kind of a PREMIERE, because all that was released before was the 28 minute album recording, and the complete original film recording was apparently discovered just recently.

Yavar

Refer it to the way you want, if I was responsible for an Elmer Bernstein discography, I would count this album as a "new" one (if it's true that the original score recording was previously unreleased).

By example in my John Williams discography I count a re-recording album as one album, and the score album (when it's also released for the first time) as another one. It's two albums, two different entities. From the view point of the composer, it's also two different productions, yes based on the same movie.

33 minutes ago, Bespin said:

(if it's true that the original score recording was previously unreleased).

Why do you think that isn't true?

53 minutes ago, Bespin said:

Refer it to the way you want, if I was responsible for an Elmer Bernstein discography, I would count this album as a "new" one (if it's true that the original score recording was previously unreleased).

By example in my John Williams discography I count a re-recording album as one album, and the score album (when it's also released for the first time) as another one. It's two albums, two different entities. From the view point of the composer, it's also two different productions, yes based on the same movie.

Yeah, this is pretty much how I see it. LLL's Earthquake was both an expansion of the album recording and a significant premiere of the film recording. Intrada's The Eiger Sanction was a similar and even MORE significant film recording premiere, very different from the album.

Yavar

• 1 year later...

I'd love to check out the Kindle version, but when I see that it's almost the same price as the hardback, I just can't.