The Adventures of Tintin SOUNDTRACK Anticipation thread (Pre-order sites, cover art, release dates, etc)

Romão

• Replies 385
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It has arrived this morning, from Amazon.co.uk. So apparently they did ship it early! - even though the estimated shipping date was yesterday.

And I got my dispatch-email only a few hours before it actually arrived. How quick is that.

Felt the temptation to pick up the copy from HMV today, but, to my amazement, they sold out within one day. It turns out there are some people with good taste in Derbyshire. :)

Karol

Felt the temptation to pick up the copy from HMV today, but, to my amazement, they sold out within one day. It turns out there are some people with good taste in Derbyshire. :)

Karol

:lol:

So how many copies did you see yesterday?

This is just the most ridiculous insignificant detail ever, but I'm digging the side spine of the CD. It's a bit like the Varèse Deluxe Editions but then with Sony.

Great!

Whenever I see this logo, I have to think of "The Spielberg/WIlliams Collaboration album!" Dunno, they are somehow firmly linked in my mind. This might have been the very first Sony Classical album I bought in my life:

ost_jwspiel.jpg

You mean like this?

sw_spines.jpg

That was a head scratcher. Did Sony Classical suddenly have a new designer or design policy with mandatory fonts for RotS?

Can someone who has the CD either reproduce here or tell what kind of liner notes Spielberg has for this one. Or has he written one at all?

Can someone who has the CD either reproduce here or tell what kind of liner notes Spielberg has for this one. Or has he written one at all?

Yes, that'd be great!

Here it is:

The old fart still got it!

Steven Spielberg

Wow gee BloodBoal. Thanks a lot.

It's one page as usual, but it's lengthier. I'm thinking he really, really likes the score as well :)

To Josh - I'm sorry I don't have the time to take a pic, but I'm sure someone else will take one or you'll get the CD soon enough anyway!

It's one page as usual, but it's lengthier. I'm thinking he really, really likes the score as well :)

Okay, I think I will refrain from reading the liner notes here (if somebody posts them), and wait until my CD arrives. I couldn't refrain from listening to the samples, but at least I can do this. :)

To Josh - I'm sorry I don't have the time to take a pic, but I'm sure someone else will take one or you'll get the CD soon enough anyway!

Well, ChrisAfonso already did!

I forgot.

Did GL write liner notes for each of the prequel Star Wars albums?

Yes. Wiliams even wrote one himself for Episode I. I don't think he has done that very often.

He did those for AOTC and ROTS as well.

What about KOTCS?

Karol

Spielberg has written liner notes to every Williams score album for his movies except Empire of the Sun, Always and The Lost World.

Lucas wrote liner note for all Prequel albums.

And the last notes JW wrote for CD liner notes were ones for Yo-Yo Ma Plays the Music of John Williams.

We should do a sort of ranking of our personal favorites! :)

I say it's time for a poll.

Can you smell what the Josh is cookin'?

You know your reputation starts to suffer if you do not make a few polls soon! ;)

Spielberg on Haddock's theme: "sounds like it's from the bottom of a bottle" and later it "sobers". My impression exactly. :)

Karol

Yes indeed. Very aptly put. :)

Could you possibly post Spielberg's entire liner notes here, please.

There ya go (I typed it all):

Considering the number of action movies he's scored, from Star Wars to Indiana Jones to The Adventures of Tintin, it surely can be said, "if the adventure has a name, it must be John Williams". When I first heard the Tintin score, I felt as though John hadn't aged a bit since his work on Jaws and Star Wars. This new music has the same energy and exuberance, and it's so intricately interwoven into the story, characters, and images that it makes me feel like a youngster again -and you will too, if you're not one already!

In this instance, a traditional score was the perfect match for another tradition - the beloved comic books by the Belgian writer and artist working under the nom the plume Herge, who created the Tintin series in 1929.

Tintin was the first animated film I directed and the first one John had scored. But when he saw my initial rough cut, he understood immediately what needed to be done, and we soon found ourselves on familiar ground. John's stirring theme for our title character Tintin is perfectly suited to a young reporter who somehow always becomes the story. The second most important character in the Herge series id the oftentimes drunken sea captain Archibald haddock, and for him, John created a theme that sounds like it's from the bottom of a bottle - until Haddock's redemption, that is - when his theme sobers into one that is lovely and noble.

The two detectives working for INTERPOL, Thomson and Thompson, are look-alikes who can only be told apart by the spelling of their names. They never seem to get anything right, and John captured theme perfectly in his cue, "Introducing the Thompsons". Then there's Snowy, Tintin's dog and constant companion, whose theme is fast, funny, and deliriously

breathtaking. At the heart of out adventure is a search for honor and identity, as Captain Haddock must discover, through his soggy memories, a family secret dating back to the 17th century. And for this, John returned to his movie roots and composed a pirate theme rivaling anything from the sketchbooks of Max Steiner or Erich Wolfgang Korngold.

Personally, I cannot hear this score too many times... whether in my car, or from the music library on my phone, or whenever I see the brilliant images from the film, animated by the geniuses at Peter Jackson's company WETA in Wellington, New ZEaland. Tintin brought together so many gifted artists who created a breakthrough on photorealistic animation. And accompanied by John's brilliant score, we all can return to out roots through the genre of action/adventure movies, filled with memorable characters, laughter, and total escapist

entertainment.

Enjoy

-Steven Spielberg

Karol - who noticed Spielberg doesn't aknowledge KOTCS as this kind of a movie