The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo

Koray Savas

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I read an article a little while ago about how Fincher wanted to release a 3-hour cut but the studio wanted a 2 hour 20 minute cut. Wonder how they'll resolve that. Hopefully they'll let him do the 3-hour at least for the Blu release.

• 1 month later...

So the score release for this will go the way of the Elfman box... a super deluxe set that'll run you $300.

In all seriousness though, Reznor is one of the few artists to promote choice when it comes to buying your music. Not to mention that he tends to charge next to nothing for it. I'll happily go with the 3-disc physical set.

I just felt like throwing in this quote I read in an IMDB review.

"The score is also just as brilliant as the one for The Social Network, if not slightly better. Trent Reznor and Atticus Ross seem to explore territory they didn't get to explore on The Social Network score. This one seems to feature more out of tune instruments, which is an interesting touch."

I have a feeling people are going to rave about the score's bland, repetitive structure too.

I bet I could spend a couple hours recording myself scratching a nail against a chalkboard and it would be hailed as a complex masterpiece.

• 2 weeks later...

I'd love to hear other people's reaction to this in the context of the movie.

I went during the weekend and, having read the books, I enjoyed this one better than the Swedish version.

In terms of the music, I was actually cheering for Reznor/Ross on this one, as I thought their brand of endless noise may work in this particular case (again, being a fan of the books). My reaction though was quite funny, I'd be watching the film and all of a sudden, distracted, I would think to myself:

"What the hell is that noise?"

"Oh, right. The score"

This actually distracted me from the movie several times, and everytime I'd think that there was something wrong with the theatre's speakers until I'd realise it was coming from the movie.

Anybody else had a similar reaction?

OK, I saw the film the other day. I went in completely blind - never read the books, never seen the Swedish flims, didn't even know the basic plot of the film. I had seen the trailers each one time, but didn't really remember a lot about them. I liked it, quite a bit!

The best parts for me was everything dealing with Daniel Craig's (and eventually Lisbeth's) investigation into the Vander family and Harriet's disappearance, the serial killer, etc. Less good was the early stuff with Lisbeth's social worker, and the ending with Daniel Craig reuniting with the Millennium owner, and the whole liable thing with Daniel Craig being in trouble but then the guy ends up dead and Lisbeth steals all his money, etc.

At the time, I felt like I had a seen a strong 2 hour movie expanded with a bunch of stuff that should have been trimmed away - and I also didn't understand why the American film version was still set in Sweden instead of moved to America (stuff like the Nazi stuff and how Lisbeth was a ward of the state would have to be changed but those didn't seem like major things to me). Further reading on Wikipedia have taught me that all those things were left in because they are important to later books / potential films. I still feel like there's a much stronger, shorter film hidden inside this one, but I can see why Fincher left all that stuff in because I'm sure it will make the sequels stronger.

I didn't like the score. I have no problem with Reznor and Ross's score to Social Network, and enjoy all of NIN's albums including the instrumental double-CD, but this score just mostly didn't work. Some parts were fine, of course, but when I really noticed the score was when it was not working - like when its purposely loud and distracting. That effect can work, like in There Will Be Blood, but it didn't work here, for me. It was most distracting in the early scene where Lisbeth gets called into the conference room to explain her report about Daniel Craig's character. The scene needed no score at all, but instead there's this loud "music" that is really just noise that makes you uncomfortable. I know its because Lisbeth was uncomfortable being there, but it was unnecessary. Her acting tells us she's uncomfortable.

Overall I really did enjoy the film. Will happily see it again.

2 last things:

What was the deal with the pressed flowers? Christopher Plummer shows them to Daniel Craig at the beginning, but then they are NEVER mentioned again. I had to read on wikipedia that Harriet continued to send them after she faked her death to tell Henrick that she's still alive and fine, but he misinterpreted that to think it was a taunting from the killer. Am I right that they are never referenced again in the movie, or did I somehow miss a scene?

Finally, I missed the VERY beginning of hte movie - came in just when the opening credits were starting. Can somebody please tell me what the opening scene was before the main credits? Thanks!

The best parts for me was everything dealing with Daniel Craig's (and eventually Lisbeth's) investigation into the Vander family and Harriet's disappearance, the serial killer, etc. Less good was the early stuff with Lisbeth's social worker, and the ending with Daniel Craig reuniting with the Millenium owner, and the whole liable thing with Daniel Craig being in trouble but then the guy ends up dead and Lisbeth steals all his money, etc.

At the time, I felt like I had a seen a strong 2 hour movie expanded with a bunch of stuff that should have been trimmed away - and I also didn't understand why the American film version was still set in Sweden instead of moved to America (stuff like the Nazi stuff and how Lisbeth was a ward of hte state would have to be change,d but those didn't seem like major things to me). Further reading on wikipedia have taught me that all those things were left in because they are important to later books / potential films. I still feel like there's a much stronger, shorter film hidden inside this one, but I can see why Fincher left all that stuff in because I'm sure it will make the sequels stronger.

I didn't like the score. I have no problem with Reznor and Ross's score to Social Network, and enjoy all of NIN's albums including the instrumental double-CD, but this score just mostly didn't work. SOme parts were fine, of course, but when I really noticed the score was when it was not working - like when its purposely loud and distracting. That effect can work, like in There Will Be Blood, but it didn't work here, for me. It was most distracting in the early scene where Lisbeth gets called into the conference room to explain her report about Daniel Craig's character. The scene needed no score at all, but instead there's this loud "music" that is really just noise that makes you uncomfortable. I know its because Lisbeth was uncomfortable being there, but it was unnecessary. Her acting tells us she's uncomfortable.

Overall I really did enjoy the film. Will happily see it again.

2 last things:

What was the deal with the pressed flowers? Christopher Plummer shows them to Daniel Craig at the beginning, but then they are NEVER mentioned again. I had to read on wikipedia that Harriet continued to send them after she faked her death to tell Henrick that she's still alive and fine, but he misinterpreted that to think it was a taunting from the killer. Am I right that they are never referenced again in the movie, or did I somehow miss a scene?

Finally, I missed the VERY beginning of hte movie - came in just when the opening credits were starting. Can somebody please tell me what the opening scene was before the main credits? Thanks!

I believe the very first scene was Plummer calling the police officer (the old investigator Craig interviews at some point) telling him that he got a new flower. It's pretty much exactly how the book starts.

They did change a few things from the book that I don't think would have made a lot of sense if you hadn't read the book, or maybe in this case, since they had to trim almost an hour worth of movie (I believe Fincher's original cut was over three and a half hours).

I'll get into some book spoilers from now on, so if you haven't read the books and are planning to, skip ahead!

Indeed, the social worker thing plays a big, big part in the next two books so those things needed to be there. Craig reuniting with the Millenium owner would have worked better had they included more references to that aspect of the character. He actually sleeps around quite a lot during the book, including with one of the Vanger ladies while he's doing his research (Cecilia, if I remember correctly) as well as with Lisbeth and even Harriet (although I believe that doesn't happen until the second book). The whole angle to it is that Lisbeth, this character who doesn't really fit or connect with anybody, actually falls deeply for Blomkvist, but he kinda just doesn't care and sleeps with anybody who'll let him.

Even the way they handled his affair with Erika Berger is kind of weird. They have this scene where they're all gathered up at Blomkvist's place, right before he gets the call from Vanger's lawyer, and you can see that Erika is there with her husband. The whole thing in the book is that Erika's husband actually knows that she sleeps with Blomkvist, but he's ok with it.

The whole thing at the end with Lisbeth stealing Wennerstrom's money doesn't happen until the second book either, same with her telling Blomkvist that she tried to kill her father by setting him on fire. Maybe they did that in case they don't get to make a second movie? Also, I don't think Blomkvist figures out that Lisbeth is a hacker until the second book as well.

END OF SPOILERS

In terms of the flowers thing, I think there's a quick line of dialogue when Blomkvist figures out that Anita is actually Harriet when he says something like: "So it was you sending the flowers" or something like that. But you're right, they don't actually make a big deal out of explaining that, which makes it confusing.