Anakin's Theme in the prequels

Do you agree with Anakin not having a theme after Episode I? The closest thing while he is a Jedi is the Force theme, but I really don't think that counts. The Imperial March is, of course, Vader's theme. Yeah, it's there in Episode III. But he pretty much has no thematic material in Episode II.

Why do you think this was, and do you find it to be total bullshit?

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anakin's Theme appears once in AOTC - in the original end credits (as heard on the album). Otherwise...

I'm not sure. I had visions of Anakin's Theme slowly morphing into Vader's theme throughout the prequels. Instead, in AOTC they stormed right in with the Imperial March. I think the former approach would have been better to help emphasise Anakin's gradual transformation.

I think a lot of us were expecting some serious development of Anakin's theme and a transformation into the Imperial March. But it was basically an afterthought in II and III. Ironically, we have that transition in TPM's end credits. But maybe Williams was just so excited at the time he forgot there were two more movies and Anakin wasn't Vader yet?

I remember once hearing that Anakin's Theme was Vader's Theme "deconstructed and written backwards".

Not sure, but each statement of it in the concert track from The Phantom Menace is punctuated by Vader's Theme.

Anakin's theme is hinted at in ROTS, TESB and ROTJ quite a bit, but the overall theme morphs into something new entirely. As if to remind us that Anakin is still there, but trapped in this dark and martial figure. In the carbon freezing scene he sees 3PO in pieces and is reminded of his childhood when he created the same droid. That's when you hear Anakin's theme in this new ominous twisted guise in there. Quite a brilliant move from the maestro.

;)

Karol

oooh, thank you for posting! I thought Anakin's theme got ditched after Phantom which makes me sad because it's my favorite theme to play on the piano from Ep. 1. I just love how it transitions to the Imperial March, but the parts I did from remember from Clones and Revenge that had the Imperial March were very fitting so the theme wasn't too missed, ya know?

The bigger issue is that one of the underlying story lines in Episode II, Anakin being "Annie back on Tatooine" to Padme was kinda dropped. There was meant to be a lot more development of that idea but it didn't and I think a lot of great oppourtunities to have Anakin's theme were lost.

Anakin's theme is used when he first see's Padme again in Episode II but I think it's tracked lol

Anakin's theme seems to have been in the film makers' mind associated very strongly to the young boy instead of the young man. If you look at the Episodes II and III it is used only in a context of referencing to Anakin's childhood, a lost innocence, not as an active representation of the character he is in those respective films. The darkening storyline would have not allowed much utilization of the still positive and innocent sounding Anakin's theme and perhaps Lucas did not want to use it anymore and that is why Williams had to give up on it. I am sure he could have, like he does in the Episode II End Credits, tie Anakin's melody to the Imperial March, but sadly he doesn't.

Anakin has also another small motif associated with him throughout the Episodes II and III. This small Dies Irae styled motif is wedded into the Across the Stars (I would call it the C-section), especially the rhythmic string motif and the dark horn statements, which describes the dark ramifications of love but also Anakin's fall to the dark side. Williams' uses it very subtly most of the time in the music, the string motif being played fast or jittery in scenes involving his fall in some way.

Examples of this motif:

Episode II:

Approaching the Naboo Palace (not on the OST) 1:42-1:52. Anakin is indignant because Padmé refuses his council.

Anakin and Padme (The Dinner Scene 3m7) 1:30-1:57 and few opening notes 2:26-2:41. Anakin says he and Padmé could keep their affair secret. Very subtle embryonic form of the motif.

Tusken Camp and Home Stead (Carrying Mother Home 5m1A) 5:15-end. Anakin carries his mother's body home. Angular version of the motif.

Anakin Changes (5m1B) 0:26-1:41 Anakin confesses killing the Sand People, dark side is growing stronger in him. The longest and clearest development of this motif.

Episode III:

Palpatine's Seduction (4m3): I would consider the rhythmic string motif under the music here a continuation of the previous musical idea associated with Anakin. Here Anakin's loyalties begin to waver as Palpatine plays on his fears.

Dialogue with Mace (4m5): There is a slower darker rhythmic string development in the middle of the track which plays as Mace denies Anakin the chance to bring Palpatine to justice.

The Lament (5m3) 1:38-2:04. Williams draws a subtle connection to Anakin betraying his fellow Jedi and his own fall here by weaving Anakin's motif into the piece.

Anakin has also another small motif associated with him throughout the Episodes II and III. This small Dies Irae styled motif is wedded into the Across the Stars (I would call it the C-section), especially the rhythmic string motif and the dark horn statements, which describes the dark ramifications of love but also Anakin's fall to the dark side. Williams' uses it very subtly most of the time in the music, the string motif being played fast or jittery in scenes involving his fall in some way.

Examples of this motif:

Dialogue with Mace (4m5): There is a slower darker rhythmic string development in the middle of the track which plays as Mace denies Anakin the chance to bring Palpatine to justice.

Ahh, the Jurassic Park (danger motif) bit.

Examples of this motif:

Ahh, the Jurassic Park (danger motif) bit.

Yeap, that's it. Johnny's way of hearing danger and suffering.

The scene after he has the dream when he talks to Padme. Not on the album.

At around 2:16

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CpoKCBf2xso

Karol

I tried watching but never made it past the first scene - the horrible dialogue nearly made my head explode. I'll just have to take your word for it, sorry.

The bigger issue is that one of the underlying story lines in Episode II, Anakin being "Annie back on Tatooine" to Padme was kinda dropped. There was meant to be a lot more development of that idea but it didn't and I think a lot of great oppourtunities to have Anakin's theme were lost.

Anakin's theme is used when he first see's Padme again in Episode II but I think it's tracked lol

It isn't.

I think he was supposed to be a brooding, tormented character in between the light and the dark. Therefore, he couldn't settle on any specific thematic material.

Anakin's Theme is fairly good. I think Williams could have taken it and applied it to Anakin in the sequels--turn it into something more heroic for the guy in his prime, then gradually turn it darker in a final transition to Vader's theme.

Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't some bit of action music from the hangar bit in TPM loosely based on Anakin's theme (track 12 on the OST)?

Karol