Star Wars Blu-ray discussion

Jay

Obviously this is old news now, but let's have a thread here to discuss the changes, especially since the blu rays come out tomorrow

Here's the most annoying one: Vader's ROTS "NOooooooo" added to ROTJ:

Here's another annoying one: Obi-Wan's Krayt Dragon call has been replaced with a really lame new one!

Here's are some lists of all (?) the changes:

Star Wars:

http://www.dvdactive...s-part-one.html

The Empire Strikes Back:

http://www.dvdactive...s-part-two.html

Return of the Jedi:

http://www.dvdactive...part-three.html

The Prequels:

http://www.dvdactive...-part-four.html

I'd love to see more youtube videos of other changes if anyone wants to post them!

Oh! And have the deleted scenes turned up on youtube yet? I know of this one:

http://insidemovies....-deleted-scene/

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Buying my copy tomorrow.

Changes I tolerate and even welcome are purely aesthetic improvements : Some sfx shots( like the x-wings approaching Yavin in ANH) , removing matt lines in TESB, the windows in cloud city. Those are pretty cool and don't detract from anything

Changes I am not fond of : Out of date CGI ( like the sandtroopers at the beginning of ANH..I hope they fixed the movement to current CGI standard)

Changes I cannot tolerate : altered dialogue lines (Inform my Stardestroyer of my arrival), new CGI actor shots instead of the old ones ( Hayden at the end of RotJ)

I might just paste my thoughts on this from the other place.

Actually that was the big event which happened during our purgatory: Manuel turned his back on Lucas. An event worth recording for posterity.

I'm getting the old ones. I'll probably get the complete set when it's discounted in the future.

The changes are stupid but they don't go any further than cosmetic. The movies are untouched where it counts the most.

2hrdavl.jpg

The two recent changes I really hate is Vader's "Nooooooooooooooo!" in ROTJ (like most of you do). Also like most people I hate the added CG rock in Star Wars with R2 and the changing of the Krayt Dragon call. The rock is majorly unforgivable considering that when it shows R2 coming out of hiding the rock is clearly gone now.

It's funny too that the blue escape pod at the beginning after R2 and Threepio land on Tatooine, the pod is gray and continues to be gray when it's shown with those two. However, the pod is once again BLUE with the Stormtroopers. Not sure how the hell they fucked that one up.

Edit: I noticed for ROTS when Cody and his battalion of Clones arrives on Utapau to help Obi-Wan there's been some extra dialogue added in with I believe either Cody or just higher ranking clones giving orders as they swing down from that catwalk and such. Also grunts and more yells have been added as clone troopers are hit and go down. That I don't mind at all and it's actually interesting to hear.

Oh and also for ROTS, when it cuts to showing Anakin's hand at the end after Obi-Wan leaves Mustafar, it's the theatrical swipe and not the DVD version.

Cool thanks!

I wonder how WIlliams would have scored that? Short transition cue to highlight Luke's excitement as he races away, then some source music for inside the bar?

Despite the damage, it looks way better than the prior "Behind the Magic" release of that material, and the extra dialogue and shots are nice. Of course, the pacing would have been utterly killed, but I do wish there had been some way to work in the early Biggs stuff.

If fakey looking zooms in and out weren't annoying enough in the prequels, here's this essential change that Lucas made to ROTJ:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0BoOsNnsfsk

If fakey looking zooms in and out weren't annoying enough in the prequels, here's this essential change that Lucas made to ROTJ:

honestly I don;t see anything wrong with that

Cool thanks!

I wonder how WIlliams would have scored that? Short transition cue to highlight Luke's excitement as he races away, then some source music for inside the bar?

perhaps some "old friends" (AOTC) esque cues for biggs...

I think those scenes work wonderfully without music. Well, they aren't wonderful scenes - Luke's interactions with his friends are particularly stilted and were wisely cut - but the lack of scoring works. The scene in which Luke looks up to the sky and sees the barest glimmers of light, in silence, is quite magical. We empathize with Luke's wonder that there could actually be starships firing at each other in the sky. As for the scenes with Biggs, it would be consistent with the other conversational scenes in Star Wars to leave them unscored.

I think those scenes work wonderfully without music. Well, they aren't wonderful scenes - Luke's interactions with his friends are particularly stilted and were wisely cut - but the lack of scoring works. The scene in which Luke looks up to the sky and sees the barest glimmers of light, in silence, is quite magical. We empathize with Luke's wonder that there could actually be starships firing at each other in the sky. As for the scenes with Biggs, it would be consistent with the other conversational scenes in Star Wars to leave them unscored.

Idiot!

;)

I can't wait to watch these films on Blu. I should be getting them in the mail today if everything goes smoothly. Other than the "Nooo!" dialogue, none of the changes bother me. I think the unaltered films will come out on Blu-ray in the next few years anyway.

Allright I got my SW Blu Ray at Costco for 79$cdn. I think it's better to buy it in the first few days since it's discounted. It'll probably be over 100$ in a month or so

I also grabbed Avatar 3 disk extended for 24$. They had new stock and I regretted not buying it last year because regular price is expensive

i'll, try to gather some friends to watch it...I'm not in a hurry .Maybe I'll check the bonus stuff first

Allright I got my SW Blu Ray at Costco for 79$cdn. I think it's better to buy it in the first few days since it's discounted. It'll probably be over 100$ in a month or so

i'll, try to gather some friends to watch it...I'm not in a hurry .Maybe I'll check the bonus stuff first

Keep us informed if there is any unreleased music in that bonus stuff. ;)

Hopefully the Menus have something.

Is this the scene williams scored in "snowspeeder's take flight"? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jXB_xmumoVE&feature=channel_video_title

I would assume so, at least some version of it. Weird that something that made it late enough into postproduction to have been fully scored would only be available in black and white. Unless they lost the final edited version with ADRd sound, etc, at some point over the years.

A couple of years ago I would probably be so excited to see this. Now I can't even be bothered to click on them to watch them on Youtube. I guess I'll not be picking this box set up; I just don't care anymore. I'm sure someone will wake me if the original films are ever released properly.

I have been seduced by the Dark side, I must buy the BR set including the "gag" prequels.

A lot of times, I feel some sort of moral obligation or something when La-La Land or Intrada or FSM does a really nice release, like I absolutely must by the album in order to support them in creating such a fantastic product with no guarantee of financial success.

This is kind of the opposite. I cannot allow myself to pay one cent for this hilarious trash. I have absolutely no problem with making modifications to a film as long as they are (relatively modest) improvements, and as long as the original is also made available. (For example, some of the end battle VFX in ANH really were shoddy enough to merit replacing.) But on the whole, all the tampering with the Star Wars OT almost feels like a big joke at this point. Like Lucas is just sitting back and enjoying the process of trolling his fans. I'm not going to bother worrying about it at this point, but I'm not going to spend my money on this. Watching the films in HD would be nice, but I'd rather just wait another 50 years until we finally get the original versions, or versions with only tasteful modifications.

Have watched Star Wars and Empire Strikes Back. They look very good with the exception of some of the '97 CGI. Definitely sticks out. The sound? Absolutely one hundred percent gold. A complete and utter revelation. It's as if I have only ever heard these films under water. Music is mixed wonderfully.

(For example, some of the end battle VFX in ANH really were shoddy enough to merit replacing.)

I fully agree with that but they should have kept it to that. I remember thinking BEFORE we ever heard of the SE's happening that Lucas should re-do the VFX of Battle of Yavin with at least RotJ level optical effects

They look very good with the exception of some of the '97 CGI. Definitely sticks out.

huge problem there.

Check out Bill Hunt's nice review of the set. I think I will actually pick this up next month.

http://www.thedigita...iews091611.html

For those of you who hate the past changes (and the new BD changes), believe me I get it. Let me just say, it could be a LOT worse. Sources well-positioned to know have told me that Lucas actually seriously considered replacing the puppet Yoda from The Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi with the all-digital version, and even had tests conducted to see how it would look. Fortunately, cooler heads prevailed. (For the record, I'm told that the digital Yoda just didn't look right or mesh well with the real, physical, practical Dagobah sets. Shocking, I know.)

A couple of years ago I would probably be so excited to see this. Now I can't even be bothered to click on them to watch them on Youtube. I guess I'll not be picking this box set up; I just don't care anymore. I'm sure someone will wake me if the original films are ever released properly.