Star Wars Blu-ray discussion

Jay

I like this set very much.

I'm not that big a fan that I would be pissed of about the changes there.

Having a decent theater system with movies like these just make you happy.(I'm gonna need a bigger,at least 60'' television...

We even enjoyed ROTS today, the sound and the picture quality is amazing...

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here is the full list of Deleted scenes:

00:25:05 (TRASH TALKING DROID)

00:18:10 (THE BATTLE IS OVER)

00:15:23 (ANAKIN’S RETURN)

00:17:15 (BATTLE ON THE BOARDING RAMP)

01:21:19 (EXTENDED POD RACE WAGER)

00:17:02 (BAIL ORGANA OF ALDERAAN)

00:57:15 (EXTENDED SPEEDER CHASE)

00:53:09 (THE LOST TWENTY)

00:55:00 (ANAKIN’S NIGHTMARE)

00:41:24 (ANAKIN AND RUWEE)

03:42:17 (RAID ON THE DROID CONTROL SHIP AND EXTENDED ARENA FIGHT)

01:25:21 (ELEVATOR ANTICS)

02:22:23 (ESCAPE THROUGH THE HANGER)

01:49:12 (CHANGES TO CONSTITUTION)

08:03:10 (UTAPAU CHASE ANIMATICS)

03:19:04 (MUSTAFAR DUEL ANIMATICS)

03:31:08 (MUSTAFAR DUEL / LAVA RIVER ANIMATICS)

06:20:14 (KAHYYYK AND ORDER 66 ANIMATIC)

00:36:00 (JEDI IMPOSTERS AT THE TEMPLE)

05:10:17 (SENATE DUEL ANIMATIC)

00:48:10 (YODA COMMUNES WITH QUI-GON)

00:26:08 (ANAKIN KILLS SHAAK TI)

04:58:24 (TOSCHE STATION)

00:31:13 (THE SEARCH FOR R2-D2)

00:42:12 (STORMTROOPER SEARCH)

00:24:17 (DARTH VADER WIDENS THE SEARCH)

00:24:20 (ALTERNATE BIGGS AND LUKE REUNION)

01:29:05 (HAN AND LEIA: EXTENDED ECHO BASE ARGUMENT)

01:59:17 (LUKE & LEIA: MEDICAL CENTRE)

02:27:03 (DELETED WAMPA SCENES)

00:20:08 (THE FATE OF GENERAL VEERS)

01:03:16 (LUKE’S RECOVERY)

01:08:04 (YODA’S TEST)

00:53:15 (HIDING IN THE ASTEROID)

00:51:12 (LEIA TENDS TO LUKE)

02:33:19 (VADER’S ARRIVAL AND REACHING OUT TO LUKE)

01:59:19 (TATOOINE SANDSTORM)

02:07:02 (REBEL RAID ON BUNKER)

00:22:00 (JERJERROD’S CONFLICT)

06:50:07 (CANTINA ROUGH CUT)

00:20:10 (AUNT BERU’S BLUE MILK)

00:13:11 (OLD WOMAN ON TATOOINE)

01:45:05 (ALTERNATE HAN AND LEIA KISS)

00:45:02 (LOBOT’S CAPTURE)

09:06:20 (BATTLE OF ENDOR: THE LOST REBELS)

I would only buy it if I saw it for 30 Euro, just like I did with the Alien Anthology on Blu-ray. I saw a bit of Star Wars playing in a shop and it looked really nice. Much sharper than the DVD.

Seriously? The prequel deleted scenes weren't ever finished? They didn't even get Liam Neeson to do the voice of the "Qui-Gon Communes with Yoda" one, but they managed to hit up James Earl Jones for the most pointless line ever? I know they could have done it bcause they did so with the Episode I deleted scenes for the DVD release. The Blu-Ray films must have had a big enough budget. There's no excuse, really.

I received my Star Wars saga set from amazon.co.uk on Friday, and started with Episode IV.

Unfortunately, there were several sound drop outs (increasingly so in the second half of the movie) (ie, no sound at all for a moment-- half a second? a quarter?).

Upgrading the BD player's software (it's a Sony BDP-S470) did not remedy the problem.

I started taking notes at one point:

- at some point at the beginning of chapter 16

- "mas...ter" when Darth Vader says his old master has returned

- 01:03:03 (Han speaking of the Alderaan debris)

- 01:04:56

- 01:05:27 (I believe this is the one when the Millenium Falcon is attracted into the Death Star-- sorry, I'm a bit too fed up with it to check, and have lost too much time already)

- 01:25:39 (when Ben is shutting down the tractor beam; after pulling a lever down, he moves to the left; it occurs when he's moving his hand up the thing)

- 01:38:14

- 01:39:31

- 01:41:03

- 01:44:50

- 01:45:30

- 01:47:32

- 01:47:48

- 01:57:05 (or 50?)

Mind you, some of these may be 1 or 2 seconds off (the time for me to check the player's display).

They always occur at the same moment (I've tried several times, so it can only be a problem with the disc.

No problem playing the disc on a laptop (Sony F22S1EB), though; the installed version of WinDVD on gives out stereo, but still, since the dropouts affect all the channels (no sound at all), a downmixed stereo should have the same dropouts, shouldn't it? Or is the laptop's BD player not sensitive to the disc's flaws?

After reading about other sound problems with the set, on AVForum ( http://www.avforums....ml#post15417237 ), I checked my Sony BPD S470, and switched the HDMI output to PCM.

No more dropouts.

However, I was not longer able to get the rear L/R channels to output through the rear L/R speakers-- I have a 7.1 setup, and this is my first DTS 6.1 film.

It seems that what ought to output through the rear L/R is sent to the side L/R speakers, and I believe that what should have been the rear central channel (6) is fed to the rear L/R speakers instead, as I do hear some sound effects from time to time.

I tried several things, but could not manage to get it right.

For any other BD so far, I haven't had any problem, and whatever was supposed to come out of the L/R speakers was also fed through the side L/R speakers.

Everything is well connected, and the speakers are well identified-- ie, testing them does feed the test sound to the right speaker.

I have now switched the BR player back to "Auto" so that the A/V receiver (Denon 2310) will get the actual DTS 6.1 track, and will see how Episode V fares; from what I've read, it should be okay.

Some people don't seem to have any problem with the disc, but others have experienced the audio dropouts at the exact same moments in the film I have, so it seems to be a problem with the disc.

Episode I seems to be flawed as well according to some accounts (I only skimmed over it yesterday, so I don't know).

I also wrote to Twentieth Century Fox UK (http://www.fox.co.uk/contact).

Darn. :(

Otherwise, it was a wonderful experience (I had not seen the movie since 1997!); the picture (detail & color) is splendid.

No problem with Episodes IV & VI; the only audio drop-out occurred during the post-movie THX logo.

I'll watch Episodes I-III next Friday, Saturday and Sunday.

obsw0002.gif

Is there a video showing the before and after of that sequence?

I'm not finding one, but originally it was a static shot, and closer to the droids. Not only does it add a fakey, PT-style zoom, though, but it also causes a continuity error, because when you see the droids entering from inside, the door is much smaller than it's shown to be in the new shot.

Been watching the deleted scenes, and I really wish that the original version of Luke's recovery in ESB had been kept, for a few reasons. First, the scene:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7J5pfS0rJZM

Firstly, it lends credence to the notion of there being a real triangle between Luke, Leia, and Han. It also makes it so that when Leia lays a big wet one on Luke later in the scene, it's not just sticking it to Han, it's also getting that kiss she missed out on earlier, making the whole scene all the more satisfying. Finally, if they had left this in, there'd be no way Lucas could get away with making Luke and Leia siblings in ROTJ. I mean, it's bad enough now, but this scene has the most sexual tension between the two, and should have been the last nail in that idea's coffin.

Not a bad scene. I'm really a fan of Mark Hamill's early portrayal (before he became all dignified and serene like in ROTJ) of Luke Skywalker. Only Hamill can sigh like he does here in this scene with Leia. Even during this short moment, I could feel his 'pain'.

I figured a future CGI change to TESB would be changing the Luke-Leia kiss to a kiss on the cheek or a handshake

K.M.Noticing the Avatars are back to a more decent size

I was hoping to see the scene where the medical droid pulls the creepy plaster mask off Luke's face. Is it elsewhere on the discs? Did I miss it?

- The rebel fanfare when the Falcon enters the Death Star becomes noticeably lower after the first part.

- Vader saying No is mixed way too loudly. What a lousy job.

- The music sounds great! Empire's film mix track sounds so much better than on CD. Jedi's great as well.

- The ESB interviews are easily the best you'll find in the special features.

- Anakin Vs. Obi-Wan fits like a glove in the deleted animatic cartoon. Did JW compose the music to this??

Some good news: the rear channels of the blu-rays 7.1 mix is very very high quality, bad news is that the voice echo for AOTC is still there. (though SFX seem to be toned waaaaayyy down)

Me too. Let us first have all the members who bought this report on all the changes, and after they've lived out their usefulness, come down hard on them for buying this shitty box set!

The Blu-ray is gorgeous. Watching in numerical order and just finished AOTC today. It was great except for all the scenes with fake beard Obi-Wan. It always stood out but moreso now it seems.

Thing is, I watch the Star Wars films maybe once a year, if that. Ilove them dearly, but if I'm going to watch them I don't want to be annoyed by Vader's "Noooooo", or other dumb cosmetic changes. I know if I buy the Blu Ray set I'll probably just end up opting to watch the DVD versions when I sit down in future to watch the films. Therefore I will not be buying the Blu Ray set. I hold out hope that a better Blu Ray set will be released, but I'm not all that optimistic. In the meantime I'd rather enjoy the film I love in compressed old DVD over a gorgeous-looking Blu Ray version that keeps making me wince.

Yeah that looks great on a HDTV

I'm quite fond of how some of my VHS tapes look on my HDTV. I find they upscale even better than DVDs, which suffer from compression artifacts and macroblocking, and all that becomes even more apparent when blown up.

So, on a sidenote, wasn't more or less officially said by LFL that they were planning a soundtrack saga boxset as a tie-in of the BD release? I guess they scrapped the plans, since there isn't anything like that on the horizon. It's maybe the first time they haven't done a soundtrack release of sorts associated with a new release.

Personally, I gave up with anything related to LucasFilm. At this point, I just hope they will release expanded AOTC and ROTS someday down the road. I guess we should consider ourselves lucky enough to have had complete releases of the original Trilogy back in 1997 (and the SW Anthology earlier) as well as a significant amount of unreleased Indy music in 2008.

Personally, I gave up with anything related to LucasFilm.

+

At this point, I just hope they will release expanded AOTC and ROTS someday down the road.

Does not compute!

So, on a sidenote, wasn't more or less officially said by LFL that they were planning a soundtrack saga boxset as a tie-in of the BD release? I guess they scrapped the plans, since there isn't anything like that on the horizon. It's maybe the first time they haven't done a soundtrack release of sorts associated with a new release.

They said at Celebration V that they were 'considering' it. Clearly despite the loud crowd calling out "YES!" they turned a deaf ear to it.

At this point, I just hope they will release expanded AOTC and ROTS someday down the road.

It's much more likely that the recording sessions themselves will leak, rather than LucasFilm ever doing a complete score for the Star Wars films. And the former isn't likelky to happen at all.

I guess we should consider ourselves lucky enough to have had complete releases of the original Trilogy back in 1997

You say it's the complete trilogy? I disagree - no Jabba the Hutt concert suite, incorrect take for Victory Celebration, no Ewok Celebration, no Lapti Nek, no Max Reebo Band, and incorrect opening for the end credits. Certainly not complete. It's the only soundtrack of the OT without a complete release.

as well as a significant amount of unreleased Indy music in 2008.

Not enough, though, sadly. Lameos also just bunged the KOTCS OST on a disc without any extra work.

Not enough, though, sadly. Lameos also just bunged the KOTCS OST on a disc without any extra work.

to be fair, KOTCS's OST had more tracks than the old "IJT" discs, and so there was no room for extra tracks on the KOTCS disc.

To be fair, ggctuk, the Ewok Celebration and Lapti Nek became irrelevant in George's eyes when he replaced them with the Victory Celebration and...that song. The material you're lamenting is mostly available on the Anthology. As "complete" as the 1997 SE sets touts itself, the Anthology is still the must-have companion set.

Just like an FAQ over at Toplessrobot mentions that for as complete as the Blu-Ray set claims to be, it leaves off material like trailers and TV spots, which are on the DVD set if you need them.

I'm through Attack of the Clones in my numerical viewing of the Blu-rays. My screen is not big enough to tell a huge difference from the DVDs, but so far the saga looks beautiful, it sounds beautiful, and it's genuinely as fun to watch as ever.

I still catch myself slapping my forehead from time to time when cheesy dialogue, poor CGI, plot holes, etc. presents itself, but on the whole, each of these films is a masterpiece (flawed as they may be). I don't want anyone to misunderstand or blow that statement out of proportion, so let me explain:

There is so much attention to detail at every level, and it comes together so brilliantly, these films are classic romance-style works of art. They may not measure up to other "works of art" of other media by other artists, but it still rises above the run-of-the-mill Hollywood blockbuster. These movies are going to be around a very long time. I wouldn't be surprised if Star Wars was the new "Mother Goose" 500 years from now. They feel bigger than just the two hours of screen time, even ignoring the cultural impact. Even the lowliest of the saga brings to life this far-away galaxy in a way that few films have been able to achieve. [/fanboy gushing]

The reason they will forever stand out is because they are so ineptly made on so many levels.

Uncomfortable acting, stilted direction, obvious, yet confounding scriptwriting.

Most big budget films have a veneer of competence to them.

To be fair, ggctuk, the Ewok Celebration and Lapti Nek became irrelevant in George's eyes when he replaced them with the Victory Celebration and...that song. The material you're lamenting is mostly available on the Anthology. As "complete" as the 1997 SE sets touts itself, the Anthology is still the must-have companion set.

I don't understand why he approved the music in the first place if he never liked it.

I don't think the complete scores to the SW prequels will ever be released now

I almost had forgotten the Blu Rays have been released with no score releases

This set is apparently the biggest selling box set ever, so logically LFL will see no market for it.

Actually, I like this release. Would I prefer the original trilogy untouched? Yes , without a doubt. BUT , I think this was great release.

The original trilogy hasn't been tampered at all in terms of brightness and contrast or colour correction. Sooooo happy about that.

After watching the original trilogy on BluRay my notion that The Empire Strikes Back is a masterpiece has been re-enforced. The filming of this film is truly astounding. How the hell can something that was filmed so long ago look so bloody sharp????

Very happily I will go through every bit of the extra stuff. Lucasfilms did an amazing job putting all that stuff together.

All in all a great release, but saying that i will not buy anything else unless the originals are out on blu-ray or whatever the new format will may be.

I also feel for George Lucas as a) Is turning into Jabba The Hut and b) He only wanted to complete his vision.

I saw him in person just a few weeks ago. He really doesnt seem as overweight (or large) in real life. I encounter far more obese people in my average day.

Btw, as no one has appeared to mention it yet, I would like to point out that the 'creative decision' to dial out the Force theme statement at the beginning of the Battle of Yavin has been fixed.