Star Wars Blu-ray discussion

Jay

I also feel for George Lucas as a) Is turning into Jabba The Hut and b) He only wanted to complete his vision.

I saw him in person just a few weeks ago. He really doesnt seem as overweight (or large) in real life. I encounter far more obese people in my average day.

Btw, as no one has appeared to mention it yet, I would like to point out that the 'creative decision' to dial out the Force theme statement at the beginning of the Battle of Yavin has been fixed.

Really happy to hear this! It can't be healthy being so big. And yeah the Force Theme is now loud and proud at the Battle of Yavin :)

Also just watching Revenge of the Sith again and it looks outstanding, great stuff!

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A video camera can tend to make people look bigger than what they are in person. I know this from experience. It all depends on how the camera was angled and if it was zoomed in or not.

Btw, as no one has appeared to mention it yet, I would like to point out that the 'creative decision' to dial out the Force theme statement at the beginning of the Battle of Yavin has been fixed.

That's good.It means Ben Burrt was probably asked to stay away from the mixing room

I'm sure its more of George trying to appease people who were disappointed with the DVDs. He easily fixes a few small problems while leaving or creating even more blaring ones in tact.

A lot of times, I feel some sort of moral obligation or something when La-La Land or Intrada or FSM does a really nice release, like I absolutely must by the album in order to support them in creating such a fantastic product with no guarantee of financial success.

This is kind of the opposite. I cannot allow myself to pay one cent for this hilarious trash. I have absolutely no problem with making modifications to a film as long as they are (relatively modest) improvements, and as long as the original is also made available. (For example, some of the end battle VFX in ANH really were shoddy enough to merit replacing.) But on the whole, all the tampering with the Star Wars OT almost feels like a big joke at this point. Like Lucas is just sitting back and enjoying the process of trolling his fans. I'm not going to bother worrying about it at this point, but I'm not going to spend my money on this. Watching the films in HD would be nice, but I'd rather just wait another 50 years until we finally get the original versions, or versions with only tasteful modifications.

Exactly how I feel.

A lot of times, I feel some sort of moral obligation or something when La-La Land or Intrada or FSM does a really nice release, like I absolutely must by the album in order to support them in creating such a fantastic product with no guarantee of financial success.

Sentimental hogwash!

Has anybody watched the documentaries on disc 9? On my TV, they show on the top left hand corner of the screen. Now, I only have a standard def TV so I don't know if that has anythign to do with it. Or does it?

How the hell can something that was filmed so long ago look so bloody sharp????

Huh? :blink:

Huh? :blink:

Of course, you are referring to film deterioration.

Hey Ricard, Actually what I needed to say is that how most of these films that were filmed so long ago including the Alien and Aliens look so sharp. But I just have to say, The Empire Strikes Back is outstandingly filmed! I don't think even the filmmakers themselves ever watched their own creations so sharply until new. It's crazy.

Also it's a good point with film deterioration. Does anybody know how film companies combat this? I heard that the first Star Wars was salvaged on the last moment as the films were so badly deteriorated. I could be wrong about this.

Film is sharper than blu ray

Oh yeah, I'm sure. But the medium that was used to project/play the films (especially before DVDs) didn’t have the capacity to fully show the sharpness that was captured in the cinematography.

Oh yeah, I'm sure. But the medium that was used to project/play the films (especially before DVDs) didn’t have the capacity to fully show the sharpness that was captured in the cinematography.

VHS, Betamax, and Laserdisc? Tube TVs? Yes, we're very fortunate to experience HD images of our favorite movies at home. I really don't miss going to the theater any longer. Of course, the picture is not as big as a theater screen but in return you don't have to put up with all the downsides of watching a film in theaters either (other people, crisipy noises, cell phones, talking, knees pushing in your back, et cetera).

Did he mean the projectors at the cinema? I don't see how they would reduce the sharpness of films if the projector and lenses are good

Film at the cinema looks sharper than any home video set up including blu ray

Of course DVD,VHS have shit resolution, Blu Ray is better but I'm sure the pixel count in the actual film reels is much higher so they could come up with yet another home video format for higher resolution

Did he mean the projectors at the cinema? I don't see how they would reduce the sharpness of films if the projector and lenses are good

They can give very bad quality if the theater concern skimps on weaker and cheaper light bulps.

A big-ass screen needs a right kind of light bulb otherwise it results in a too soft image where colors, contrast and sharpness are faded over distance. At least, that's what a electronics technician/movie fan once told me when I asked him why all the theater complexes in my neighbourhood had such bad picture quality. I believed him since I do not think those THX controlled theaters can't get away with skimping on inferior projector lenses.

Uh, no. Plasma sucks. Projection isn't outdated, but soon 35mm will be. The Sony 4K is an amazing projector. I still prefer DLP over anything else in the TV market right now. Only reason it's almost obsolete is because of its size.

I'd rather pay $1,000 for a 65" DLP than $8,000 for a TV of the same size that's LED or Plasma.

Projection is great for powerpoint presentations at office meetings, but it's horrible inefficient.

Within 25 years we won't be watching any screens, projected or LCD/LED. The images will be send directly into our brains.

- Anakin Vs. Obi-Wan fits like a glove in the deleted animatic cartoon. Did JW compose the music to this??

Maybe I was biased from reading your comment beforehand, but I totally agree with you now that I've seen the deleted scene. Does JW get animatics for major scenes before he composes to the completed film? It would make sense that he would get a head start coming up with themes for these key moments.

My 47" Panny Plasma cost me £799 a couple of years back (its rrp was £1300 at the time) and it still one of the best set's on the market. It was rated 5 stars across the board etc. I doubt I'll need another tv for a good few years yet, but I'd definately have no qualms whatsoever about buying Plasma again.

Once again, FACTS overrule Koray's nonsense.

Projection is great for powerpoint presentations at office meetings, but it's horrible inefficient.

Within 25 years we won't be watching any screens, projected or LCD/LED. The images will be send directly into our brains.

Do you think those tiny office projectors are the ones at the movie theater? As for your second comment, you give too much credit to the human race.

Uh, no. Plasma sucks.

I'd rather pay $1,000 for a 65" DLP than $8,000 for a TV of the same size that's LED or Plasma.

Why is that?

Uh, because it's $7,000 cheaper?

My 47" Panny Plasma cost me £799 a couple of years back (its rrp was £1300 at the time) and it still one of the best set's on the market. It was rated 5 stars across the board etc. I doubt I'll need another tv for a good few years yet, but I'd definately have no qualms whatsoever about buying Plasma again.

What nonsense? All I said is that they suck - a personal remark. In the context of film projection, which is what we're talking about, it makes no sense to switch over to Plasma. They have no where near the lifespan of DLPs or traditional projectors and cost much more.

I think it's what his daddy told him.

No.

A big-ass screen needs a right kind of light bulb otherwise it results in a too soft image where colors, contrast and sharpness are faded over distance. At least, that's what a electronics technician/movie fan once told me when I asked him why all the theater complexes in my neighbourhood had such bad picture quality. I believed him since I do not think those THX controlled theaters can't get away with skimping on inferior projector lenses.

But a bulb is merely a light source. Color, contrast and sharpness of an image are properties of the lens.

The light source is critically important in the way the picture is made visible on the screen. The intensity of the bulb, the exact color.

Just look at the difference of your view outside between a sunny or a cloudy day.

wait your playing videogames on a plasma screen?

Of course. I was playing Gears last night on it actually with some mates and my brother. Looks absolutely fantastic.

Gaming was one of the main reasons I wanted a larger set. I like to get fully immersed in a single player campaign, with the 5.1 surround and all that.

Lol, that old wives tale was put to bed some time ago. I think it might have been a problem associated with the first generations; screen burn etc. My tv doesn't have to worry about that stuff.

I used to play on a Samsung 32" LCD myself before I got the Panny. The image quality and the blacks on the plasma blow the LCD away. A mate of mine comes around on a Saturday night once a month for beers and Xbox and both sets actually get put aside each other in the living room. The difference is staggering. Can't believe I used to game on the LCD at all to be honest. Having said that, the Samsung is only 50Hz, where the Panny is 600Hz. That makes a huge difference.

well, actually I did try 3 TV's the last time before keeping one with an image I like

They aren't all the same. I like the LG I got because its got a S-IPS panel which makes the colors more natural than some Samsungs I tried. There was big difference in the color rendering

It's the same for plasmas. There's a huge difference between models

I have a 120Hz set but I don't turn on the special feature to make it more smooth (trumotion, motionflow whatever) . Movies look HORRIBLE with that

from what I understand a 120Hz set is 120Hz native. Just leave the MotionFlow gimmick off

Has anybody watched the documentaries on disc 9? On my TV, they show on the top left hand corner of the screen. Now, I only have a standard def TV so I don't know if that has anythign to do with it. Or does it?

I was watching the interviews on disc 7 and they were also framed in the upper left hand corner on my LCD HDTV. It still covered over 75% of the screen but I think the framing was intentional. Not sure why, though.

The light source is critically important in the way the picture is made visible on the screen. The intensity of the bulb, the exact color.

Just look at the difference of your view outside between a sunny or a cloudy day.

As you have mentioned, the only properties a bulb can affect would be brightness and color temperature. Its up to the lens to make an image out of the light passing through it, thus influencing color rendition, contrast and sharpness

I don't like how some of these screens are calibrated in the store where the framerate looks like it's way too smooth, like it's going too fast but it's not. Hard to explain.

Yeah it increases the frame rate and the picture quality ends up looking like that of a home video camera.

Lol, that old wives tale was put to bed some time ago. I think it might have been a problem associated with the first generations; screen burn etc. My tv doesn't have to worry about that stuff.

Yeah screen burn doesn't happen anymore.

I don't like how some of these screens are calibrated in the store where the framerate looks like it's way too smooth, like it's going too fast but it's not. Hard to explain.

Yeah it increases the frame rate and the picture quality ends up looking like that of a home video camera.

I'm saying you can disable it in the features. Also at the store they put the TV in "torch mode" with contrast,color brightness at max value