Star Wars Blu-ray discussion

Jay

I like my LCD and my LCD LED, but I understand they are a stop gap. Plasma will die first. In 10 years television will not resemble what we currently have.

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Are you referring to OLED, Joey? Anyway, I'm enjoying me Plasma TVs right now and that's the point, isn't it? In ten years, I'll buy a new screen and I'll see what's on the market then.

Alex

that's one of the possibilities. And you are correct, if you're happy with your choice then who's to say otherwise. One thing that is certain our next tv's will be thinner and lighter, and more energy efficient.

The future is one screen for everything ... TV, computer, phone, dimming the lights, putting on the central heating, opening the curtains, home alarm system ... And all at the same time.

Of course, it's only for the rich. The rest of us will be forced to live on the street while eating soylent green. It's already happening in Greece, even Vangelis can lo longer protect himself.

By the time the originals are made available the Star Wars bubble will have burst and no one will care anymore. Right now the viewers being denied these films are people who were swept up by the original trilogy in the 70s/80s, and people who were introduced to the saga through the prequels. A couple of generations down the road people will be a lot less interested in Star Wars. It will still be a classic, but it will only be enjoyed by fans of old movies, and people like us who "were there". The prints released will therefore have less money and effort put into them, and will be of poor quality. Look at the quality of most public domain DVD releases! Besides, most of us won't even still be alive by then...

And on that happy note... ;)

Heck, I was born over a decade after Star Wars was released, and neither of my parents were hardcore Star Wars nerds or anything, and I still ended up falling in love. With the OT, I mean - the prequels came in later, and I enjoyed them as a less discerning youngster, but they were never the root of my fandom by any stretch of the imagination.

I don't doubt that the saga's popularity will wane over the years...that's the circle of life...but I have a hard time imagining no one caring when the original versions of these films finally get a decent release.

That gives me hope. When I did my student teaching back in 1997 I played Yoda's Theme to a class of 14/15-year-olds to introduce a class on orchestral colour or something like that. When I mentioned that it was Yoda's theme not one member of the class knew who Yoda was! I was absolutely floored by that! It may seem unbelieveable now, what with the current generation of kids having grown up with the prequels, but I bet that many of the kids who were born after 2005 won't have that much interest in Star Wars as they grow up.

Heck, I was born over a decade after Star Wars was released, and neither of my parents were hardcore Star Wars nerds or anything, and I still ended up falling in love.

A decade after Star Wars? That's when Return Of The Jedi was released in theaters (and I guess the reason why you fell in love)! You're not exactly a good example of the new 'non-Star Wars' generation, meister.

Edit: Oh no, ROTJ was released in 1983! Sorry, I take everything back.

I bet the theatrical prints for the films will get restored into perfect 1080i format and in glorious HD but not until George Lucas dies. Then and only then will those films finally be fee to be restored 100% and released to people who wanted to see them how they remembered seeing them.

If Lucas wants to make more money with Star Wars on home video, he will be forced to put out a nice HD transfer of the original theatrical versions in the future, no matter what he thinks of them. It's the only way to make a new release palatable to his legion of fans.

It's only a question of time, imho. My bet is that we'll see them sooner than we think.

That's what we thought 14 years ago, too.

You're right, but we've come now to a point where the majority of people won't really see the reason to buy again a Star Wars home video release if it will not feature something really significant. There will be superior formats than Blu-ray in the future, of course, but right now I don't know how much more people can have in terms of home entertainment technology and features.

The Digital Bits' Bill Hunt explained it quite clearly:

A number of fans have complained about the fact that the original theatrical versions of the classic films are not included in this Blu-ray set. While it's true and is certainly a legitimate complaint, no fan in their right mind could seriously have expected them to be included, given Lucas' attitude in the past. Still, I have a sneaking suspicion that Lucas is going to have to release the original versions of the films at some point in the future. The reason I've started to believe that is because of the deleted scenes that WERE included on these Blu-rays. This is material that Lucas has been reluctant to make available in the past, but they were needed for this Blu-ray set simply to give fans a compelling reason to buy the films again. After this Blu-ray release, I just don't see ANYONE buying these films again for any reason (certainly not for 3D!) unless those original versions are part of the package. Regardless, even if there's never an authorized release, rest assured that so many prints of those original films exist in the hands of film archives (and even private collectors) around the world that, sooner or later, someone is going to throw them up on an HD scanner, make high-quality HD masters and release them as bootlegs - either for free online, or on BD-R or other digital media sold at conventions. How do I know that? Well, I've actually had bootleg HD copies of the "special edition" Star Wars films for a couple years now, mastered from European HD satellite broadcasts, made available online and burned to BD-R media. Trust me, the original versions WILL be available eventually in HD, legally or not. Frankly, the sooner Lucas realizes this and takes proactive steps to release them himself the better.

http://www.thedigita...iews091611.html

Bill Hunt said it best and Lucas does need to just get off his high horse and remaster the Original Theatrical Editions and release them in high def. It'll be a win win situation. Win for the fans that they get what they want and win for him because he'll make mega bucks again from the set.

...he will be forced to put out a nice HD transfer of the original theatrical versions in the future, no matter what he thinks of them. It's the only way to make a new release palatable to his legion of fans.

So everyone who has bought the Star Wars Blu-Rays to date aren't part of his legion of fans?

Oddly enough, someone at Best Buy solely bought the prequels. I died a little inside.

He first bought the OT but then he decided to buy the whole damn thing. He probably also said something like, "Curse you, Lucas!", while he was paying the person behind the register.

Well that's pointless. Buying both trilogies separately won't get you the special bonus disc of extras that can only be obtained by buying the complete saga box set.

And having all of the extras is really the only reason to own these at all. The sharpest picture and clearest sound ever cannot make me ignore the fact these are inferior versions of classic films that had nothing wrong with them 34, 31, and 28 years ago.

I think you guys are downplaying the fact that some people prefer the prequels. Shocking as it it may be to enlightened film buffs, in many ways the prequels are more entertaining. You may consider that a sad commentary on the state of our culture, but I think it's just differing tastes.

I personally find the original trilogy to be better in absolute terms, but sometimes I just want to escape into the fantastic world of the Old Republic. If someone thinks the OT is campy and slow-paced, I can at least see where they are coming from. They probably didn't grow up watching the OT like many of us did.

DoubleOFive said:

http://www.rollingst...lu-ray-20111004

It's a subject that Burtt has devoted a lot of thought to over the years, this idea of going back and changing a text once it's ostensibly completed. "Initially I thought that when films are done you should just leave them alone. Even if there's flaws in it, they're a product of a certain creative process in their day."

That's how I felt after we finished the first three films," he explains. "But the world has changed. As I say, George has never wanted to let them sit still. He's always had additional thoughts because I think he enjoys it."

• 2 weeks later...

Is it just my Blu-ray player, or are the Star Wars Blu-rays extremely slow in terms of getting to the main menu when first loading the disc, and also of going from one selection or menu to the next? I don't have a ton of Blu-rays yet, only got my player back in May, but the SW discs seem to be extremely slow.

I think you guys are downplaying the fact that some people prefer the prequels. Shocking as it it may be to enlightened film buffs, in many ways the prequels are more entertaining. You may consider that a sad commentary on the state of our culture, but I think it's just differing tastes.

Are you are talking sh!t to me boy? (I know you're not, but others are)

I prefer the prequels. They have better special effects and a better storyline, and they work better as a trilogy, whereas the originals are better individual films.

So these people are calling me "sad"? What's so sad about that?

You know what I think is sad? Someone spending his free time talking about how "George Lucas is a moron." THAT is sad. And if you don't get why that is sad, then you are probably better off wasting your time talking sh#t about other people on the internet, hiding behind your avatar.

In 50 years Lucas is going to be hailed as a genius. You don't have to agree with me right now. Rest assured I will be reminding ALL of you all the sh*t you talked about him.

(No one seems to remember booing Stravinsky)

And yes I did just make that comparison.

• 2 weeks later...

Regarding the audio drop-outs I experienced: an upgrade of my Denon 2310's firmware appears to have solved the issue, as had been said on AVForums.

I couldn't get it done until yesterday, and could only check four of all those drop-outs I had spotted, but they were gone, indeed.

:)

• 1 month later...

I just watched Star Wars

Almost forgot how awesome it is after a few years not seeing it. Looks amazing on Blu Ray

Honestly about the "special edition" add ons. At this point I almost forget what's in the original only, so most of it seems pretty much part of the movie to me. The only parts that stick out like a sore thumb is the Jabba scene and the Jawa falling off the dino thing in Mos Eisley. Then again some of the original effects are pretty crappy too