New Main Page is live

Jay

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My bad, I should explain rather than be metaphorical. What I mean by 90s is that the template's use of grey sidebars is frivolous rather than pertinent...much like amateur web design of the 90s. It doesn't help the content it presents, and it makes the page feel very claustrophobic.

Besides, why clobber your audience over the head with "LOOK INCASE YOU CAN'T TELL THIS IS A SIDE BAR BECAUSE IT'S A DIFFERENT SHADE" when you can simply suggest it with some white space and possibly a light hint of a vertical line?

Newspapers and magazines have been printing pages with multiple columns for over a hundred years, and readers seem to have done just fine without alternating column colors to remind them that there are columns. ;). So no, this is not an issue of looking dated...I apologize if that's what I implied.

As for the 2004 menu...it ties into the topic quite well. Good design is timeless.

Cleaned up the left menu to make it easier to click by memory rather than searching with the mouse

You mean like in the 2004 version of the site? ;)

Regarding the "90s" thing.... I know you're trying to help and I thank you for this, but I really HATE that kind of comments ("oh this website, font, background... looks so 90s blah blah blah"). I was there, I was 33 years old when I created the site and I remember very well the "90s websites", and that "it looks 90s" thing is nothing but crap. Similarly to another comment of this kind that that kid Jack made when he started hosting the site.

Sorry again but this really gets on my nerves. I'm touchy when it comes to this.

Ricard, most people are very resistant to change, so when something is renewed, even if it's an improvement, they rebuke it.

In a few years time, when the change the current lay out, people will complain yet again.

And semi-professionals like Blumenkohl are the worst, because they always think they know better then you.

The site looks great, the MB will be fine when Andreas fixed the mobile version and we will all get used to it and love it as we have always done.

* swallows*

My bad, I should explain rather than be metaphorical. What I mean by 90s is that the template's use of grey sidebars is frivolous rather than pertinent...

Frivolous is such a strong word.

much like amateur web design of the 90s.

What exactly do you mean by that? Because as far as I remember, there was A LOT of professional web design in the 90s. The fact that it was made in the 90s doesn't make it "less professional", just older. But if you're referring to the amateur side of web design from that decade: The first incarnations of THIS site were "amateur web design of the 90s". FILMTRACKS was (is) "amateur web design of the 90s". But grey sidebars are NOT "amateur web design", not to mention "of the 90s".

It doesn't help the content it presents

That's only your opinion.

and it makes the page feel very claustrophobic.

Yeah I literally can't breath whenever I look at it, LOL

Besides, why clobber your audience over the head with "LOOK INCASE YOU CAN'T TELL THIS IS A SIDE BAR BECAUSE IT'S A DIFFERENT SHADE" when you can simply suggest it with some white space and possibly a light hint of a vertical line?

I agree with you, but the grey bars belong to a template designed... in the 2010s... ;) This was the default and I really haven't got the time to tweak it properly.

Newspapers and magazines have been printing pages with multiple columns for over a hundred years, and readers seem to have done just fine without alternating column colors to remind them that there are columns. ;).

For some centuries, to be precise.

So no, this is not an issue of looking dated...I apologize if that's what I implied.

What the "90s" comment implies is just historical ignorance.

As for the 2004 menu...it ties into the topic quite well. Good design is timeless.

Indeed.

I agree with you, but the grey bars belong to a template designed... in the 2010s... ;) This was the default and I really haven't got the time to tweak it properly.

Completely understand. Most of my issues with the site are with the template. Also, I'm just rambling on about how I would like to see the site given the template in place now, but there's more than one good way to go about it. Right now it's not quite there yet.

I think we both agree it's not there yet.

Blah blah blah blah blah blah this is just another way for me to get more post count blah blah blah blah blah blah

Sure Steef. Sure. Whatever you say.

But seriously, Steef, the reason you grow in love with the look of a site over time is probably because the last major design iteration started as this:

jwfan_new.png

and ended as this...over the course of years.

R4Fgp.png

What you feel you think you fell in love with was the product of never-ending improvement (and probably some not-so-improvements) since that first version.

I'm sure the current major design will look very different in 3 years.

Just a quick heads up to let the admin know that the mobile view now displays perfectly... on my iPad, which is odd (it would normally display natively in Desktop view), but it's absolutely fine! Everything fits perfectly, fonts are spot on and the pointless right side border is gone! Unfortunately this means that it's still not ideal for a proper mobile device (such as a phone handset), but maybe Andreas could still provide a fix for that.

The only real problem I'm still faced with on iOS is the continued lack of editing tools when composing a post, which is just weird.

Also, what's this "Delicate" view? It seems almost identical to Mobile view, except for some minor icon differences.

Just a quick heads up to let the admin know that the mobile view now displays perfectly... on my iPad, which is odd (it would normally display natively in Desktop view), but it's absolutely fine! Everything fits perfectly, fonts are spot on and the pointless right side border is gone! Unfortunately this means that it's still not ideal for a proper mobile device (such as a phone handset), but maybe Andreas could still provide a fix for that.

The only real problem I'm still faced with on iOS is the continued lack of editing tools when composing a post, which is just weird.

Also, what's this "Delicate" view? It seems almost identical to Mobile view, except for some minor icon differences.

Hello,

we test a "new" mobile version for IPAD and other mobile devices.

Be patient. Thanks.

Andreas