Have you seen "The Pacific" and "Band of Brothers"?

Josh500

They're both very good, although BAND OF BROTHERS is probably the best.

At times, they delve into the typical American "heavy-handedness" on the subject matter, but as a whole they are totally engrossing narratives.

Band of Brothers is without a doubt one of the best miniseries ever. One of the best war pictures too, even though it's ten hours long.

The Pacific is very obviously a series made in a country that was at war at the time it was made (unlike Band of Brothers, which premiered in September 2001). It's interesting to see the different approaches. Band of Brothers emphasizes the bonding among the men that went into war, whereas The Pacific focuses on the madness of war and the degradation of morals that follow.

As a standalone, The Pacific suffers from an unfocused narrative and isn't nearly as engrossing as Band of Brothers, despite its massive production values.

Get Band of Brothers for sure. It's dirt cheap these days. Get The Pacific only if you're really interested in seeing it. Get the BluRays if you can.

I only got about half way through BoB. It was certainly very well made, but I thought it sagged a little here and there and it was a bit too preachy for my taste. I didn't like the veteran intros at all. It was a historical drama, an entertainment; not a documentary or a memorial piece.

I saw SPR the other day, and once again, I was blown away. The movie's gotta be among Spielberg's top 5.

Anyway, that's what got me thinking of these series. Hell, I will get 'em both . . . they are dirt cheap on amazon.co.uk, too. :)

I dunno what Quint's on about. I love the intro by the Vets. They are the REAL DEAL. I haven't seen The Pacific in full though, only part of an episode and what I saw didn't grab my attention like BoB did. There are some really great moments in BoB without spoiling them, being when Easy is walking into Bastonge right at the end of one of the episodes. Kamen's music is just superb. Another is the run through Foy by Lt Speirs.

There is one factual error in the show though and that concerns the death of one of the members reportedly in 1948 who in fact died in the 60's.

I'm sure Kamen didn't do the entire score as I believe the person who composes the music changes with each episode like it does with the Director.

So if you like war films Band of Brothers is an ABSOLUTE MUST. But if you watch the series you need to get the book then to explain a few extra details that can't be explained in the show.

I'm sure Kamen didn't do the entire score as I believe the person who composes the music changes with each episode like it does with the Director.

Well if the soundtrack album is anything to go by Kamen composed music for every episode. And the sound is extremely uniform as are the themes. It is not impossible that he scored all 10 episodes since they are very sparsely spotted.

Oh and I whole heartedly recommend Band of Brothers. Excellent high quality TV-series.

Not according to the credits. Kamen scored the entire series. And did a wonderful job at it too.

I dunno what Quint's on about. I love the intro by the Vets. They are the REAL DEAL

I agree with Quint, those vets nearly kill the show for me. There's a difference between a documentary and a mini-series, and having some old people yap about the good old days really spoils it for me.

Not according to the credits. Kamen scored the entire series. And did a wonderful job at it too.

I would not mind a complete score from the series. There were many great moments that did not end up on the OST album. Kamen was truly inspired by the subject matter and you can hear it in the music so vividly. Every musical gesture is so meaningful and deft. The lyricism of the music is a perfect counter balance to the often harsh realities of war we see on screen in the episodes.

I dunno what Quint's on about. I love the intro by the Vets. They are the REAL DEAL

I agree with Quint, those vets nearly kill the show for me. There's a difference between a documentary and a mini-series, and having some old people yap about the good old days really spoils it for me.

I'm with Dean. I thought that was one of the crucial components of the shows, and really made it that more powerful to me. Contextualized the fiction and provided us with a nice, real frame to hook on to the story.

I bet you guys also love the closing scene of Saving Private Ryan.

I can't speak for Dean, but I most certainly do. It's an inevitable conclusion to the story, IMO, which puts everything together. Not that unlike the touching ending of SCHINDLER'S LIST, where all the real-life people on his list put down stones on his grave.

Loved Band of Brothers - show and score. My brother bought the blu-ray specifically, and we'd both watch it again.

The Pacific was good, but not great. The score was one of the blandest I've ever heard in a TV show. Had no desire at all to get the score album.

I find it hard to put my finger on what I felt was missing from The Pacific. Only a few of the characters motivated me, the effects sometimes came to the forefront too much, and the final episode just dragged.

I hated Snafu in The Pacific. His voice and character just irritated the hell out of me. I'm surprised I finished the whole series, because with each successive episode it became harder to sit through.

I agree about the character focus. It switches from Leckie to Sledge halfway through, and left me wondering "What the fuck?" I also hated how Leckie and that one chick went through a lifetime of relationship problems in two days. Hey just I met you, but I'm moving in tomorrow and want to marry you. :rolleyes:

For what it's worth, I'm with Quint and Steef on the veteran intros in Band Of Brothers.

The problem with the old coots on BoB is that it's Spielberg (and Hanks) once again underestimating his audience. He wants us to be very, very sure that we understand that he is honouring these veterans with this series.

The funny thing is that he will never do a director's commentary because he wants his films to speak for themselves, which is good. But on his so-called "adult" films, he still isn't ready to let his audience come with their own conclusions.

Well, there's the kind of movies where the audience has to make up their own mind about what they mean, and then there's the kind of movies that have their own unmistakable messages. Spielberg tends to do the latter sort.

Yes and that's fine, but on some of his films he really overdoes it.

Certainly there's an audience for that. My girlfriends found Jaws to feel unfinished because Brody and hooper were never seen making land, and Brody did not re-unite with his wife (My GF loves romantic movies).

But a film can be so much more memorable of you leave the theatre, or switch of your DVD/Blu-ray player with a few questions still on your mind.

I haven't seen Empire Of The Sun in about 15 years, but I still remember that great ending were the kid is reunited with his parents. It could have been a sugersweet Hollywood happy ending, but the way Spielberg shot it, the boy at first not even recognizing his parents, just makes it so much more interesting.

Damn is this movie out on Blu-ray?

Funny, you should mention EOTS, because I watched it again last week (in anticipation of the 2 Spielberg movies coming out this year, I am rewatching most of his earlier movies).

And yes, that ending (or that scene, to be more precise) is certainly one of the most powerful and most touching. I love the expression on the mother's face as she suddenly stops, recognizes Jim, and approaches him . . . and then Jim touches her face as if to make sure she is really there before they hug.

I don't think Jaws has an unfinished or unsatisfactory ending, though. The goal was to kill the shark, they killed the shark. Anything else would have been anticlimactic and not as powerful. Verna Fields didn't win an Oscar for nothing.

I absolutely loved Band of Brothers. It was a blind buy for me on bluray. I'd heard nothing but praise for it so thought I'd give it a chance. I was not disappointed!

I recorded The Pacific when it aired on Sky Atlantic HD recently. Couldn't get in to it at all. Don't remember any character names and couldn't connect with it at all. Ended up deleting the series without watching it all. I'm not able to put my finger on what was missing either. It was certainly well made and the acting seemed good. Just lacked something.

I really liked the Peleliu trio of episodes. I've also been told the series improves upon rewatching.

BoB did that too, but I liked that from first viewing, so there's still quite a difference. It's just that when you're comparing Band of Brothers and The Pacific, BoB wins by miles.

I really liked the Peleliu trio of episodes. I've also been told the series improves upon rewatching.

BoB did that too, but I liked that from first viewing, so there's still quite a difference. It's just that when you're comparing Band of Brothers and The Pacific, BoB wins by miles.

Not "by miles", IMO, but a bit better.

In my opinion, PACIFIC is really more of the same, as it delves into the same aesthetic that they used in BAND. Of course, the latter has the advantage of being the FIRST one out, so everything will be unfavourably compared to that. That's worth bearing in mind.

I LOVED Band of Brothers. The main titles are one of my favorite score tracks ever. I enjoyed hearing from the actual vets - it reinforces the reality of the events depicted. The book is pretty amazing, too.

The Pacific is the sort of series that they could have made as a couple of feature length episodes, and focused more on a smaller set of characters. It's not a bad series, it just doesn't maintain constant interest for me.

I'd agree that the production values were by far the best thing. And while Brothers was sometimes a bit grainy, Pacific looks absolutely stunning in HD.

• 4 years later...

I hated The Pacific, thought it was truly bad "filmmaking."

I've only seen the first two parts of Band Of Brothers so far, but I can already tell it's infinitely better.

The Pacific is bad and I never got around to Band Of Brothers.

??

I hated The Pacific, thought it was truly bad "filmmaking."

I've only seen the first two parts of Band Of Brothers so far, but I can already tell it's infinitely better.

The Pacific is bad and I never got around to Band Of Brothers.

??

Probably meant finishing.

No, Carnivale and Breaking Bad!

I never got around to Carnivale (wanted to, most of my friends who loved Twin Peaks recommended it) but I am the lone person who just didn't care for Breaking Bad. Theres nothing wrong with it - I watched three seasons worth - but it just wasn't for "me"?

And I dunno - Deadwood has some of the best acting I've ever seen on television, especially such a beautifully against-type role for Brad Dourif.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oMAl2fCYgCQ

Sorry to unearth an old thread, but just saw that Band of Brothers is No 1 in the top imdb 250 TV shows EVER!!!

I had no idea that it was considered so good!

Maybe I should buy it!

http://www.imdb.com/chart/toptv

Band of Brothers is amazing. I watch it once a year.

The Pacific was bad, didn't bother with it after the 3rd episode.

Sorry to unearth an old thread, but just saw that Band of Brothers is No 1 in the top imdb 250 TV shows EVER!!!

I had no idea that it was considered so good!

Maybe I should buy it!

http://www.imdb.com/chart/toptv

Band of Brothers is amazing. I watch it once a year.

The Pacific was bad, didn't bother with it after the 3rd episode.

Well, I've read it picks up after the middle of the series.

If you say it's bad because it has no action and is slow I wouldn't mind.

My favourite war film is The Thin Red Line, and looking at screenshots, it reminded me of it.