Artist: Original Motion Picture Score
Title: Real Steel
Composer: Danny Elfman
Release Date: 11/01/11

Original Motion Picture Score

REAL STEEL

Music Composed by
Danny Elfman
(Alice In Wonderland, The Wolfman, Milk)

A gritty, white-knuckle, action ride set in the near-future where the sport of boxing has gone high-tech, REAL STEEL stars Hugh Jackman as Charlie Kenton, a washed-up fighter who lost his chance at a title when 2000-pound, 8-foot-tall steel robots took over the ring. Now nothing but a small-time promoter, Charlie earns just enough money piecing together low-end bots from scrap metal to get from one underground boxing venue to the next. When Charlie hits rock bottom, he reluctantly teams up with his estranged son Max (Dakota Goyo) to build and train a championship contender. As the stakes in the brutal, no-holds-barred arena are raised, Charlie and Max, against all odds, get one last shot at a comeback.

Real Steel is directed by Shawn Levy (Night At The Museum franchise and Date Night).

In a score that mixes guitar with symphony orchestra and choir, composer Danny Elfman returns to cinemas with this Fall action blockbuster.

DreamWorks Pictures opens REAL STEEL nationwide on October 7.

Varese Sarabande Catalog # 302 067 122 2

http://www.varesesarabande.com/servlet/the-948/Real-Steel/Detail

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This was actually announced about a year ago. He recorded his score about two or so months ago. One quick comment I read on it -- vaguely recall something like heavy metal sound -- completely put me off. But nothing surprising considering the garbage it has to go to.

I know it was announced a while, and we talked about it then. But now the OST has been announced by Varese, so I started a thread. I quoted in the main post:

In a score that mixes guitar with symphony orchestra and choir

So the "heavy metal" quote you mentioned makes sense, especially after seeing the trailers. I feel like I can picture what the score will sound like already.

Music Composed by

Danny Elfman

I just find it odd that Varese would prop up these three films to remind people of what Elfman has done in the past. Especially Wolfman and Milk. Just seems very random to me.

Varese has a tendency to, well, not quite describe their scores well, or flat out prop them up as the greatest thigns to hit our ears since Bach.

I think they describe their scores fine; they just can't resist putting those ol' marketing buzzwords in there.

I'd just prefer the style of the music was described, rather than 'heart-pounding', 'epic' or 'heartfelt'. Or 'energetic' when dealing with RCP :)

I think the publicity departments are the same no matter in what business they are in. They have to use a certain type of lingo when advertising their products. Varese is not an exception. They usually use very laudatory adjectives and descriptions for their CDs be it Djawadi or Herrmann because it is their job to say something nice. What is more noticeable is the way the new releases have minimum information about the score and a huge blurb about the film with the composer and score mentioned in the last sentence in the style "composer X writes a rousing and robust score for this memorable sports drama." :)

Fighting CGI robots!

We need a lot more movies with that

Get ready for Robopocalypse!

I'm noty interested in this score. It seems to me when Elfman starts using electronics, his music suffers. However, I reserve the right to be proven completely wrong.

Fighting CGI robots!

I'm noty interested in this score. It seems to me when Elfman starts using electronics, his music suffers. However, I reserve the right to be proven completely wrong.

I think he usually incorporates electronics brilliantly in his scores - refined, restrained and "organic". Unlike, say, Goldsmith, which was godawful at doing that (Williams isn't very good either, although somewhat better). You should also check out his synth-only score for WISDOM. Truly a marvelous and unique entry in his filmography.

Fighting CGI robots!

I think he usually incorporates electronics brilliantly in his scores - refined, restrained and "organic". Unlike, say, Goldsmith, which was godawful at doing that (Williams isn't very good either, although somewhat better). You should also check out his synth-only score for WISDOM. Truly a marvelous and unique entry in his filmography.

Actually Williams is very good at incorporating synths into his scores but he does it very subtly. They very rarely stand out like with Goldsmith whose synths usually varied from excellent to god-awful. Williams enhances the existing colours of instruments and surprisingly often utilizes synthetic counterparts for acoustic ones if they have to stand out or require some additional texture not found in the normal "organic" sounds. Good example is the celesta in Hedwig's theme. But his use of synth effects is minimal compared to many other composers.

True, it's quite minimal (and thank God for that, I don't think that's his arena), but there are pretty bad examples too -- like HEARTBEEPS, SPACECAMP. I also think the brief techno outbursts in A.I. are quite silly, but with their own charm (old guy doing his take on what he THINKS is techno music!).

• 3 weeks later...

Cover Art and track list:

Original Motion Picture Score

REAL STEEL

Music Composed by

Danny Elfman

A gritty, white-knuckle, action ride set in the near-future where the sport of boxing has gone high-tech, REAL STEEL stars Hugh Jackman as Charlie Kenton, a washed-up fighter who lost his chance at a title when 2000-pound, 8-foot-tall steel robots took over the ring. Now nothing but a small-time promoter, Charlie earns just enough money piecing together low-end bots from scrap metal to get from one underground boxing venue to the next. When Charlie hits rock bottom, he reluctantly teams up with his estranged son Max (Dakota Goyo) to build and train a championship contender. As the stakes in the brutal, no-holds-barred arena are raised, Charlie and Max, against all odds, get one last shot at a comeback.

Real Steel is directed by Shawn Levy (Night At The Museum franchise and Date Night).

In a score that mixes guitar with symphony orchestra and choir, composer Danny Elfman returns to cinemas with this Fall action blockbuster.

DreamWorks Pictures opens REAL STEEL nationwide on October 7.

Varese Sarabande Catalog # 302 067 122 2

1. Charlie Trains Atom (1:59)

2. On The Move (2:39)

3. Into The Zoo (1:02)

4. Why We’re Here (feat. vocal by Poe) (:55)

5. Meet Atom (3:18)

6. It’s Your Choice (1:28)

7. Safe With Me (2:58)

8. Atom Versus Twin Cities (3:12)

9. … For A Kiss (:56)

10. Get In The Truck (1:13)

11. Bonding (2:02)

12. Twin Cities’ Intro (1:20)

13. Parkway Motel (feat. vocal by Poe) (1:48)

14. This Is A Brawl (1:49)

15. You Deserve Better (4:03)

16. Into The Ring (1:12)

17. Taking A Beating (1:34)

18. Final Round (6:54)

19. People’s Champion (2:06)

realsteelscore.jpg

a20791a132df80421913dd_l.jpg

Official Varese page: http://www.varesesarabande.com/servlet/the-948/Real-Steel/Detail

Vocals by Poe? Cool!

Oh man! No Final Confrontation track, only Final Round! :o What's happened to Elfman?

That's correct. Never noticed that before.

Anyway, I wasn't excited about this, but now, after listening to Iris, I'm in an Elfman mode again.

Karol

Just don't expect Cirque when you listen to Real Steel. Those are two different scores. BTW, I saw RS Saturday and thought it was good for what it was(a fun and entertaining movie.). It's wasn't as bad as the trailers made it look.The score by Elfman was great and very effective in the film. Which also had plenty of hiphop/techno music in it. The theme for Atom is very catchy and touching, imo. Some of the guitar riffs in the film remind me of "Taking Woodstock" and "The Kingdom". Nobody panic. It's only the guitar riffs that remind you of those two very underappreciated scores. Definitely can't wait to pick this up.

The track "Charlie Trains Atom" was very effective in the film. It really enhanced the scene and made it like it's more than just a guy teaching his robot (who can shadow box) how to box better. It stayed with me as well as Elfman's music during the "Final Round".

It's non-offensive Americana family type of score. Dawson's Creek with some brief and infrequent brass and choir interludes. Nothing special and this comes from Elfman fan.

Cirque Du Soleil is a clear winner here. And not only against this one.

Karol

• 5 weeks later...

Finished listening to this a few hours ago. What can I say. Another great Elfman score. I love Atom's theme. It still remains in my head after I'm long done. "Charlie Trains Atom", "Meet Atom",Safe With Me","Atom Versus Twin Cities", "Bonding", "Parkway Motel", "This Is A Brawl", "You Deserve Better", "Into The Ring""Final Round" (one of the best cues this year) and "People's Champion" are some of the highlights. But thw whole score is great. This is definitely one of the best scores this year. This score was definitely what this past summer was lacking, imo. Liked the Conti Rocky nod at the end of "People's Champion".