Will John Williams win his 6th Oscar for 'War Horse'?

Ricard

60 members have voted

1. 1. Will John Williams Win his 6th Oscar for 'War Horse'?

• YES
    • NO

As some of you may know, Steven Spielberg's War Horse has become a front-runner to win the Best Picture Oscar at the 2012 Academy Awards.

The score's merits aside (how many times the Academy has actually gotten it 'right'?), do you think this will be it, a 6th (and the final) Oscar for John Williams?

Personally I think so.

How about you?

• Replies 281
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's important to note that if Williams is nominated, he will have broken the tie he has held with Alfred Newman - he will officially be the second most nominated person ever, and the most nominated composer. Pretty cool.

Tintin could have a big effect on his success. I wonder if Williams will even submit it to the Academy? If I were him, I'd wouldn't in order to avoid splitting the vote.

I just can't see this winning and going to the ranks of E.T., Star Wars, Schindler's List and Jaws. I have no doubt this this be one of the best (if not THE best) scores of the year. It's just if John Williams wins an Oscar it has to be REALLY good.

They were saying the same things about Munich before people actually saw it and decided it wasn't quite the powerhouse film Schinder's List was (or was initially perceived to be upon release). The film did end up receiving a nod from AMPAS, but the nomination was widely regarded as, well, nominal.

I doubt either scores will get nominated or win. I think I can tell just from listening to the trailer music that though Williams clearly has his heart in War Horse (a throwback to late 80's early 90's style), people are a bit tired of the Williams sound as of late. In particular in the Tintin trailer music it sounds predictable (listen to the first track of Star Wars Attack of the Clones) with the same Fminor thing F Aflat C Dflat B melody going.

While Williams has the ability to write something more original and subtle (e.g. Memoirs of Geisha or Munich), he seems to go down the predictable and safe route just to please Spielberg. Seems a shame because when JW emulates other composers e.g. Mecha World in A.I. the result is excellent. Wallpaper sounding music seems to be the "in" thing at the moment; it would be good if JW wrote more of this more subtle music that doesn't blare a theme in your face.

War Horse will be the sort of sappy, feel good movie Hollywood loves.

The score will be nominated.

Only because it is a Williams score. They will thrown Tintin in there as well to divide the vote. Damn politics!

Not that I care about Oscars anyway. Crass commercial awards with political agenda.

It's important to note that if Williams is nominated,

IMO, there is no if. Williams will definitely get nominated.

Tintin could have a big effect on his success. I wonder if Williams will even submit it to the Academy? If I were him, I'd wouldn't in order to avoid splitting the vote.

Yes. I hope they don't even submit JW's score for Tintin.

Kinda like with JP and SL. :)

Only because it is a Williams score. They will thrown Tintin in there as well to divide the vote. Damn politics!

They are both Spielberg movies. Both movies won't get nominated. That'd be plain stupid.

I rather would see him get a Lifetime Achievement by this point. Not that he will have much competition in the 2011 music department, but does he seriously need another regular oscar more than Thomas Newman et al?

Both Tintin and War Horse (scores) will be nominated, ensuring that neither wins

SL won because by some miracle JP wasn't nominated

JP wasn't nominated because they didn't submit it! That's what I understood anyway.

Why would Spielberg and Williams submit both movies for the same categories?

Again, that'd be plain stupid.

Well, somehow 2 Williams scores have been nominated the same year EVERY TIME he had a shot at winning

But not 2 Spielberg movies in the same year.

Was MR nominated when CMIYYC was? No.

Was WotW nominated when Munich was? No.

Munich went up against Memoirs Josh.

You're kidding right?

That was a Rob Marshall movie! You think Spielberg will call Marshall up and say, "Listen, you better not submit the score to your movie to the Academy, or else?!" Movies are still a director's medium, even if the producer is called Spielberg.

No, I disagree.

Trust me, it's not just the Academy, it's in any business where awards are given. You submit your own best work. Not 2 of your best works so they can cancel each other's chance out. That's just common sense.

I'm still convinced that Munich split the Williams vote.

No one is doubting that!

But no 2 Spielberg movies will be nominated in the same categories in the same year, unless there is a really pressing reason to do so.

Who submits to the Oscars? The studio? The producers?

I'm sure that given the choice JW would not have had Munich nominated.

:lol:

Munich was nominated as best picture!

The question was WotW or Munich. And I think Munich was the right choice.

But no 2 Spielberg movies will be nominated in the same categories in the same year, unless there is a really pressing reason to do so.

You make it seem like that is a by-rule in the Academy regulations.

It would depend on the movies, and on the studio's.

The question was WotW or Munich. And I think Munich was the right choice.

Score wise, that is not relevant.

WOTW nominated for best score would have never had a chance

No, I never said it's a rule, it's just common sense.

I am surprised that you don't seem to understand this...

If you made 2 really good movies in the same year, would you submit both movies to an award? No. You'd submit only 1 that you think is better.

Perhaps not both movies in the "Best Movie" category

I'm not sure how this affects all the other categories

The rule should be that a person can only get nominated once in the same category, to avoid a loss caused by vote splitting and a less worthy work winning

JW WOULD have won for Geisha if Munich wasn't nominated

Yes. But again. If you made 2 movies at 2 different studios they may decide otherwise.

I'm 100% convinced the reason Jurassic Park did not go up for any big Oscars is because Spielberg wanted to focus on getting Schindlers List as big a shot as possible. And becuase both were Universal movies, and because Spielberg had a lot of clout, that was possible.

Perhaps not both movies in the "Best Movie" category

I'm not sure how this affects all the other categories

The rule should be that a person can only get nominated once in the same category, to avoid a loss caused by vote splitting and a less worthy work winning

JW WOULD have won for Geisha if Munich wasn't nominated

Same thing with other categories, of course.

It's not just JW on his own. JW contributed to a movie. And if he contributes to 2 Spielberg movies, neither Spielberg nor Williams won't reduce their own chances by submitting both.

If it's a different director but same composer, the issue is different, of course. Every director wants his own movie to have as many nominations as possible.

I'm 100% convinced the reason Jurassic Park did not go up for any big Oscars is because Spielberg wanted to focus on getting Schindlers List as big a shot as possible. And becuase both were Universal movies, and because Spielberg had a lot of clout, that was possible.

That's what I am telling you the whole time. And when it comes to Spielberg or any other big director, studios don't have to say much when it comes to awards.

"I rather would see him get a Lifetime Achievement by this point. Not that he will have much competition in the 2011 music department, but does he seriously need another regular oscar more than Thomas Newman et al? "

Thats the problem, although JW is great, the reality is that there are some fine composers like Thomas Newman, Klaus Badelt, Marco Beltrami etc who haven't picked up oscars or nearly as many nominations as JW when maybe they should have. They really do have their own voice and add value to the film. It seems the main problem here is consistency; Jerry Goldsmith had the same problem. He wrote some crap scores and also scored some awful films.

I guess thats why I still admire JW, as he always seems to give his best effort (even if its not entirely original) and the film is uninspiring.

That kind of work ethic and to always think you can do better is inspiring.

If the film is more critically succesful than Memoirs Of A Geisha I think there is a good chance Williams' score might win. It may be the Academy's way of making up to Williams in some way. Having Williams win another award at this stage - when he is commonly being recognized as a 'living legend' - would be pretty great. I think even the Academy as an institution would benefit from it somehow. Let's hope they're aware of that too. ;)

I think he has good chances at winning, especially because 2011 has been a very lackluster year for film scores so far. If there isn't a big film with a very powerful/critically acclaimed score before the end of the year, Williams can really start clearing his mantle for another golden boy.

Both Tintin and War Horse (scores) will be nominated, ensuring that neither wins

It's always nice when a new JW score is upon us because we all get to see you at your most cheerful.

I noticed that too! Whenever a new release is upon us you can expect the Darkest from the Dark Lord. :P

Karol - who, one the other hand, is extremely happy so many goodies are coming out in the coming weeks and months (Williams and non-Williams)

I really think JW has a much better chance at winning an Oscar this time around than in the past 10 years.

1. the competition looks more than lackluster (at least so far)

2. War Horse (a celebrated novel and a celebrated play) appears to become one of Spielberg's better movies--let's hope it lives up to its expectations

3. only 1 JW score will be nominated (I can practically guarantee it)

In fact, if the movie turns out to be really great, I wouldn't be surprised if even Spielberg got an Oscar for best director, or even a Best Picture Oscar.

The last time I voted yes on something like this some douche named Santaolalla won back to back oscars. So I voted No to act as a sorta reverse black cat. Geisha's reviews, coupled with the split vote with Munich killed him. If he is nominated for TinTin as well as War Horse then I don't think he gets it for either. And yes you can say that Star Wars won in a year he was double nominated but that was the clear favorite and it wasn't even close.

I really think JW has a much better chance at winning an Oscar this time around than in the past 10 years.

In fact, if the movie turns out to be really great, I wouldn't be surprised if even Spielberg got an Oscar for best director, or even a Best Picture Oscar.

"Lackluster" has no meaning at the Oscars. Social Network score won last year.

"Lackluster" has no meaning at the Oscars. Social Network score won last year.

Thats not a fair comparison, williams had not written a score last year!