Will John Williams win his 6th Oscar for 'War Horse'?

Ricard

60 members have voted

1. 1. Will John Williams Win his 6th Oscar for 'War Horse'?

• YES
    • NO

It's just some harmless, fact-based lobbying.

Remember, people inside the industry believe that the Oscar is awarded to the person, not their job in a particular project. The Oscars are so connected to publicity, some people can't see them as anything but that. That's why they can't understand what anyone would need with two, three Oscars.

• Replies 281
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hold on, let me take back the "fact-based" thing I said before...

John Williams, arguably the greatest living film composer -- he has scored an unbelievable 40 best original score nominations, nine of which have resulted in Oscars

The thing with the Oscars is that should change the name of the categories. Wherever it reads "best" it should read "most".

Usually, what wins oscars is what has the most blatant use in each categorie. Most "special effects", "most (louder) sound", "most (prettiest) cinematography", "most (quickest) editing", "most (more flagrant) score", "most (meatier and showier) acting"

The thing with the Oscars is that should change the name of the categories. Wherever it reads "best" it should read "most".

Usually, what wins oscars is what has the most blatant use in each categorie. Most "special effects", "most (louder) sound", "most (prettiest) cinematography", "most (quickest) editing", "most (more flagrant) score", "most (meatier and showier) acting"

:up:

He has a point.

Although I'd say War Horse has a fair chance as it's set in England.

Unless the voters are all experts in differences between English and Celtic music and hate the latter with vengeance. :P

I hope it wins so I can see some "best" prize going to something that woulf fit the category.

No no no. It is unfair that a living legend gets the Oscar he so obviously deserves. It should go to the bad boys of film scoring like Johnny Greenwood or Cliff Martinez or Brian Byrne (who ever he is). These guys who have provided us with such memorable and classic scores as...

I think Drive is being vastly overrated, partly due to the excellent use of songs.

The opening track, which superbly scores the first heist, is Tick of the Clock by The Chromatics.

A few of the score-based moments stood out in the film (the elevator scene in particular), but it didn't really go beyond that for me.

Williams is in a relatively unique situation of being a heralded composer of film music, much respected, but also someone who has been honored with awards. Usually you don't get both that consistently.

It looks like War Horse will be the film to beat at this year's Oscars:

http://blogs.indiewire.com/thompsononhollywood/media-and-academy-get-a-gander-at-spielbergs-war-horse-and-streep-as-the-iron-lady

Spielberg, cinematographer Janusz Kaminski and composer John Williams aim for an old-fashioned emotional style in the classic John Ford mold--some shots are out-and-out homages. The harrowing World War I sequences are more naturalistic in tone. At the Academy screening I attended Friday morning, the emotion in the room was palpable, the applause at the finale enthusiastic.

Did John get his lifetime cheevo yet?

No, shame on the Academy, but he received this last year which was probably a much bigger honour though less publicy known: barack-obama-john-williams-2010-2-25-20-55-46.jpg

If JW scores Lincoln, that would be the 4 US President JW will write a theme for.

JFK, Nixon, John Adams, and Lincoln.

Well, I am excited about any Spielberg/Williams collaboration, regardless of subject matter.

You forgot the tribute he wrote for pres. Obama's inauguration :)

I plan to repeat last year's plan to see all best picture nominees, so I'm sure this will be among them.

If it does win, of course it will be because it's old fashioned and for a silent film. I'm undecided about whether to just watch the highlights after the broadcast, although the JWFan chat is always fun...

Come on guys, it's not like JW has never won an award... I too sincerely hope he'll win next Feb., but if he will not, well, it's not that big affair. He still has much more accolades and awards in his closet than any other composer alive.

Much will depend on which movie —War Horse or The Artist— has the most momentum going into Oscar night. My feeling now is that the Weinsteins are paving the way for another Best Picture win, which bodes well for the score for The Artist, as well.

War Horse has been named one of the top 10 movies of the year by the National Board of Review:

The Artist

The Descendants

Drive

The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2

The Ides of March

J. Edgar

Tree of Life

War Horse

with Hugo being considered the best movie of the year

Hugo and the Descendants took some big prizes

http://www.awardsdai...nbr/#more-46022

I was so hoping that War Horse would win this year, and JW will get the 6th oscar he deerves. But it seems that The Artist will be taking the prize home this year! According to Jon, the score is good though. I'd like to give it a chance, but I still want Williams to get his Oscar!

I dunno, The Artist is really a silent movie? I have a feeling it's riding a gimmick wave and the hype will pewter out by the time of the Oscars

Like The Social Network

True. But the score is solid gold in terms of Oscar bait. We've got a guy with a foreign name. The film is great in scope and its a score for a silent film, the first thats been done in 60 years or so! Not to mention that apparently this score is actually pretty good (but not quite best of the year stuff though, or so I've heard). It's hard not to see this win the Oscar.

I dunno, The Artist is really a silent movie? I have a feeling it's riding a gimmick wave and the hype will pewter out by the time of the Oscars

Like The Social Network

Which won, btw.

After HUGO's continuing success with critics but with no BEST PICTURE win in for it, it might snag the score, whereas TINTIN is a bit too square for the AA - if they give SCORE to animation.

WAR HORSE stands a good chance if the movie's a sentimental favourite you couldn't hand over a major award but want to pat on the back with techical wins.

Golden Satellite Awards, John Williams is nominated for War Horse. Quite a few important nominations for War Horse and Tintin

http://www.awardsdai...ons/#more-46034

hey, they did ackonwledged serkis work for mo-cap.. shame its not for his haddock portrayal.

Just gave it a few minutes of listen and I am afraid you are right, I am 95% sure the Oscar will go to the operetta pastiche The Artist. It is an infectious score I must say, though. The irony is that JW could have easily written a similar score, and probably better.

I have thought of it, it might be much more interesting for JW not to stick to Spielberg movies alone...it would give him so many more artistic opportunities.

Well, I'm very saddened that JW probably won't win. At the same time, The Artist sounds great. I need to see the film and likely purchase the soundtrack.

Just gave it a few minutes of listen and I am afraid you are right, I am 95% sure the Oscar will go to the operetta pastiche The Artist. It is an infectious score I must say, though. The irony is that JW could have easily written a similar score, and probably better.

Heh, that sounds lovely. I am even more looking forward to this film (I thankfully have preview tickets). Hopefully I can see WAR HORSE at the same time.

Mark my words. They won't give Williams the Oscar this year because they are saving it for Lincoln.

Yeah, and then Williams will be up against some guy called Hedricitto Louvrecreata something and will lose again... Perhaps they're waiting for John Williams' Moses, the überscore from the maestro.