Will John Williams win his 6th Oscar for 'War Horse'?

Ricard

60 members have voted

1. 1. Will John Williams Win his 6th Oscar for 'War Horse'?

• YES
    • NO

• Replies 281
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

if the film is a strong contender for best movie JW might win. Even more if there's a stronger contender, War Horse might get the pity score award

Oh, it could. The Academy is weird that way. Never say never with them.

Spielberg winning a third Oscar for this, though, is highly unlikely. This only imrpoves War Horse's chances of winning Best Score (Best Pictures without a Best DIrector Oscar tend to get a lot more pity wins), for those of you jacking off to speculation.

But I'm assuming the Academy members don't know the result of one category before they vote for another, meaning I doubt they'll know that if War Horse looses Best Picture and/or Best Director before they vote for Best Score.

It happens all the time. Even Williams himself won 4 of his 5 oscars for movies that were nominated for best picture but ended up not winning. And there are tens of examples one could name. Just in the last few years, you have stuff like The Social Network, Up, Atonement, FOTR, Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon, Finding Neverland, Brokeback Mountain, Babel

But I'm assuming the Academy members don't know the result of one category before they vote for another, meaning I doubt they'll know that if War Horse looses Best Picture and/or Best Director before they vote for Best Score.

They don't know the ultimate result. But they can think, as they're filling out the ballots, "oh, I denied this movie of Best Picture/Best Director but I did like it a bit, let's see how can I make up for that."

It's an arcane way of explaining the infallible patterns these awards tend to follow.

Yes I can see people voting that way. There must be a predictable pattern of voting among academy members

Best Score gets notched when Best Picture and Best Director didn't but the movie deserved something

• 2 weeks later...

Token voting is one of the worst things about the oscars process. It has the potential to make or break some up-and-coming artist's career, and it can depend on some stuffed up academy voter feeling pity on the movie.

I'm going to vote yes, because I think there's a damn good chance.

Token voting is one of the worst things about the oscars process. It has the potential to make or break some up-and-coming artist's career, and it can depend on some stuffed up academy voter feeling pity on the movie.

I don't think winning (or losing) an Oscar has much of an effect on one's career.

There are a handful of exceptions, but generally the rule is: for Best Director and Best Actor/Actress, the Academy is awarding the person, not the job they did; Best Picture means political statements; and the rest of the categories are considered tokens.

I don't think winning (or losing) an Oscar has much of an effect on one's career.

tell that to santaolalla....

Personally I think John Williams should win an Oscar every time he's nominated :) So yes, I'd love to see him win again. But I get the feeling they simply want to let mediocre composers out there have a shot....

tell that to santaolalla....

Or to Nicola Piovani and Jan Kaczmarek?

The point is that Santaolalla had his finger on the pulse of the preferred musical soundscapes of the time. Possibly Reznor and Ross as well. Piovani and Kaczmarek were more flash in the pan. In the end, it's the music, not the award, that makes the difference.

Yes. When all is said and done, an Oscar on your shelf makes a BIG difference, for anyone who receives it. Actors, directors, composers, etc.

Certainly not for a 80-year old who already has 5.

I would say that the music he wrote for The Cowboys and The Reivers and the connections he was able to establish as a result did more for his career than any awards that he won. You could argue that the awards buoyed his confidence and self-esteem and all that, but I suppose that would go without saying.

I would say that the music he wrote for The Cowboys and The Reivers and the connections he was able to establish as a result did more for his career than any awards that he won.

No love for Irwin Allen? :blink:

I would say that the music he wrote for The Cowboys and The Reivers and the connections he was able to establish as a result did more for his career than any awards that he won.

No love for Irwin Allen? :blink:

An unfortunate omission. Apologies.

Regarding actors, the Oscar "curse" is of course rhetorically overblown (as "curses" tend to be), but I still think there are enough examples out there to indicate that winning an Oscar is only one variable among many that predict career success. I don't think it plays as much of a causal role (one way or the other) as many people tend to think.

The Academy has never thought towards the future. If anything, they react in hindsight (Martin Scorese winning for The Departed and not for any other movie he made in the 1970s or 1980s) and always based on politics.

I don;t think War Horse will win . It's not different enough from all the other JW scores that were nominated and lost

I'm placing my bet on that gimmick score for The Artist

Word is already traveling about the movie The Artist. People are championing it, it's picking up steam. I think it's the kind of flick that would pick up a score Oscar (it's a silent film, so music plays a central role). Williams ain't winning this year folks.

Word is already traveling about the movie The Artist. People are championing it, it's picking up steam. I think it's the kind of flick that would pick up a score Oscar (it's a silent film, so music plays a central role). Williams ain't winning this year folks.

Ludovic Bource composed the music for "The Artist", the name sounds foreign enough to win an Oscar.....

NO.

Well not according to my classification and evolution trees of JW styles

-The "disaster movie" sound:

Poseidon Adventure>Eathquake>Eiger Sanction>Towering Inferno>Jaws>Midway>Black Sunday

-The full blown epic adventure style:

Star Wars>Superman>Indiana Jones>Tintin

-The "modern" JW action style:

Jurassic Park>The Lost World>Minority Report>War of the Worlds

-I'm not sure what to call it but E.T. was the first that led to similarly orchestrated scores, more his "shimmering 80's style"

E.T.>Amazing Stories>Spacecamp>Home Alone>Hook>Harry Potter

NO.

Well not according to my classification and evolution trees of JW styles

-The "disaster movie" sound:

Poseidon Adventure>Eathquake>Eiger Sanction>Towering Inferno>Jaws>Midway>Black Sunday

-The full blown epic adventure style:

Star Wars>Superman>Indiana Jones>Tintin

-The "modern" JW action style:

Jurassic Park>The Lost World>Minority Report>War of the Worlds

-I'm not sure what to call it but E.T. was the first that led to similarly orchestrated scores, more his "shimmering 80's style"

E.T.>Amazing Stories>Spacecamp>Home Alone>Hook>Harry Potter

We were talking about the ACADEMY here, not your personal classification.

Just in case it hasn't been posted anywhere else on the board, this article is mighty different from our take on the Best Score award.

The Academy permits big-name veterans to be nominated for multiple scores in a single year, which makes it incredibly hard for up-and-comers to break into the category.

Is that statement completely bonkers or is that just my impression?

This headline, with the pic of Williams underneath made me laugh in disbelief.