Warner Brothers wants Spielberg to direct Moses epic

Muad'Dib

Warner Bros is courting Steven Spielberg to direct Gods and Kings, an epic-sized film about life of Moses. There haven’t been formal meetings yet, but Spielberg has read the script by Michael Green and Stuart Hazeldine.

http://www.deadline.com/2011/09/warner-bros-goes-to-the-mountaintop-for-moses-epic/

This could be a wonderful opportunity for an incredible score.

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh God (literally), what I wouldn't give for a religious-themed Williams score. That's what he excels the most.

However, as far as Spielberg is concerned, I'd rather see him return to something serious and contemporary, a la MUNICH, SCHINDLER etc. than a take on Moses.

More than a religious score, this could be the sort of epic, almost peplum like score JW has never had the chance to write. I don't know about the movie, but the music prospects are just too good to ignore

More than a religious score, this could be the sort of epic, almost peplum like score JW has never had the chance to write. I don't know about the movie, but the music prospects are just too good to ignore

With uplifting choir and epic music! Imagine Moses opening the Red Sea with John Williams music...

Oh God (literally), what I wouldn't give for a religious-themed Williams score. That's what he excels the most.

However, as far as Spielberg is concerned, I'd rather see him return to something serious and contemporary, a la MUNICH, SCHINDLER etc. than a take on Moses.

I would categorite WH as one of his serious movies.

Sure, it's about a horse, but what it's really about is WWI.

And also, Lincoln is already in pre-production.

I would categorite WH as one of his serious movies.

Sure, it's about a horse, but what it's really about is WWI.

And also, Lincoln is already in pre-production.

I was talking more about CONTEMPORARY, serious stuff. Besides, I hate animal movies and as such, am very skeptical towards WH, however serious or not is is.

On the music side, the one I would be more interested are Interstellar and the Moses film.

But for the films I would choose Interstellar and... and...

Right now I'm thinking that Spielberg is quite gifted to shoot a western or an historical film set in the ancient times. There are already many biblical films, nothing new about that.

I'm also interested in Robopocalypse.

I know what you mean. These days all his films are "projects" that are not so much directed, but rather "developed". Of course all of them are fast-tracked in some way. Before Spielberg gets bored with them. Or something. Disappointing, really.

Karol

Steven has so little film options these days. I hope he can find something that interests him.

This would be a cool chance for Williams to score a Biblical epic. But since Spielberg has his hands in so many pies at the moment would it be even realistic that he would commit to such a film right now.

I definitely have no great expectations for the film itself if it was made.

Maybe he can do a 2-hour movie out of his recent A TIMELESS CALL. That should be the laughfest 1941 wasn't.

:rimshot:

It's funny because it's true. I can't get the rosy cheeked too much make-up wearing stoic face of Tom Hanks out of my mind.

Actually yes,I agree with you. Something along the lines of Ben Hur or 10 commandments. There aren't any true Willliams bibilcal epics. sure the Indy films have religious relics but it's not the same

K.M.Not a religious guy, but likes music to these types of films

. sure the Indy films have religious relics but it's not the same

Yes it is. Invoking the supernatural, ie. that which has no foundation in reality.

The whole reason I became such a Williams nut in the first place were those religious or pastoral-style themes. Not the big fanfares and action music. Here's an article I wrote many, many years ago on this:

http://celluloidtunes.net/williams.htm

(btw, I kinda laugh at the exaggerated writing style I had then, ca. 1999, so please take it with a grain of salt).

I doubt Spielberg will direct this film. It's a Warner Bros. project and they're trying to associate big names to capitalize what probably will be a film with a ginormous budget. If Spielberg will see something that really whet his appetite, then he could jump on it. Otherwise, he'll pass.

Spielberg is continually courted by studios, but the reality is that it's very diffucul to strike a deal with him, as he rightfully pretends control over every single thing (i.e. it's not a studio movie anymore, but it becomes a Spielberg film, period) and you also have to share profits with him and his own company.

The whole reason I became such a Williams nut in the first place were those religious or pastoral-style themes. Not the big fanfares and action music. Here's an article I wrote many, many years ago on this:

http://celluloidtunes.net/williams.htm

(btw, I kinda laugh at the exaggerated writing style I had then, ca. 1999, so please take it with a grain of salt).

I remember reading your article several times before. Good observations about JWs writing style. Williams himself has often said he is not a religious man but it can be that he certainly is a spiritual man and knows by some knack or instinct to capture those human aspirations in his music.

This has me slightly worried, actually. We're at a stage where I don't dare to expect Williams to commit to whatever/whenever Spielberg's next project is, simply due to his advanced age. A film like this could well take a few years until it gets to the scoring stage. I'm not convinced that the resulting film would be good, but I'd probably be devastated if Williams signs on to THIS kind of film and, for whatever reason, ends up not being able to deliver the score.

This has me slightly worried, actually. We're at a stage where I don't dare to expect Williams to commit to whatever/whenever Spielberg's next project is, simply due to his advanced age. A film like this could well take a few years until it gets to the scoring stage. I'm not convinced that the resulting film would be good, but I'd probably be devastated if Williams signs on to THIS kind of film and, for whatever reason, ends up not being able to deliver the score.

No worries. Williams isn't even 80 yet and still a kid compared to someone like Morricone, who's still going strong. Not to mention Russell Garcia at age 95, who still keeps knocking out new material! Artists never really retire altogether.

James Horner did retire. He just left enough pieces of melodies for people to assemble new scores using his name for decades to come.

so is that how he's scoring The Amazing Spiderman. Piecemeal?

can't wait to hear the comments about how he stole the opening from this film, or that film. At least he's not stolen from the Planets.