Warner Brothers wants Spielberg to direct Moses epic

Muad'Dib

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd be interested in this, mainly for the chance for Williams to do a Biblical epic. It's a genre he's never step foot in, though I suppose you could say he's come close.

This has me slightly worried, actually. We're at a stage where I don't dare to expect Williams to commit to whatever/whenever Spielberg's next project is, simply due to his advanced age. A film like this could well take a few years until it gets to the scoring stage. I'm not convinced that the resulting film would be good, but I'd probably be devastated if Williams signs on to THIS kind of film and, for whatever reason, ends up not being able to deliver the score.

No worries. Williams isn't even 80 yet and still a kid compared to someone like Morricone, who's still going strong. Not to mention Russell Garcia at age 95, who still keeps knocking out new material! Artists never really retire altogether.

WAlker was not even 60. Basil was not even 60. Kamen was not even 60. Goldsmith wasn't even 80.

Gerald Fried, 83, sharp as a tact, but not composing features/television anymore. Russell Garcia, apparently sharp, too (posted at FSM a handful of times recently), 95, not composing scores either. Williams is like Morricone, sort of a fluke -- still scoring features (Ennio, 82).

• 1 month later...

It seems Spielberg has started official talks with Warner about the project...

http://collider.com/steven-spielberg-gods-and-kings/126600/

Not much new stuff apart from that, though...

(Imagines epic choral score by Williams for the Red Sea parting scene)

How come 99% of the time, fanboys' fantasies and expectations revolve around the world "epic"?

How come 99% of the time, fanboys' fantasies and expectations revolve around the world "epic"?

Next to badass, it's the most over used word in somewhat geeky message boards

So if Williams employs a subdued oboe solo for the parting of the Red Sea to contrast with the imagery -- will that be a disappointment? I have also noticed that 80% of fanboys film music fantasies implicate a choral accompaniement.

Obviously the big Rosza-esque type biblical score is what the fans want. But these days biblical movies get this sort of Last Temptation Of Christ/Gladiator world music type score.

Williams would not score the parting of the Red Sea with any bombast. He will focus on the human angle. How does the parting of the red seas make Moses feel inside?

I feel a Duduk opportunity here....

So if Williams employs a subdued oboe solo for the parting of the Red Sea to contrast with the imagery -- will that be a disappointment? I have also noticed that 80% of fanboys film music fantasies implicate a choral accompaniement.

An oboe solo done right can be epic.

I was about to make a joke that Zimmer would score it instead, but then I remembered he's already done it. And it was one of the best scores he's ever written.

Movie doesn't really interest me much.... It doesn't really need to be made. Not that that would ever stop anyone in Hollywood making anything.

So if Williams employs a subdued oboe solo for the parting of the Red Sea to contrast with the imagery -- will that be a disappointment?

I would go with no music in that scene at all -- silence as emphasis.

So Williams could possibly score an epic (yes) movie unlike any film he has ever scored... He could possibly write an equally epic (yes) score with huge orchestral and choral passages... And yet the most vocal reaction on this "fan"-board is akin to "I'm not interested in Williams scoring this..." Mesa don't understand....

Roald, you know as well as I do that the Rozsa-esque biblical epic is dead.

Zimmer killed it, like he killed the Korngold-esque pirate score, and the Williams-esque superhero score.

Whatever JW writes now will be marred, a shadow of what it could...should have been..

I suspect Interstellar is a now-dead project.

I read an interview with Kip Thorne not long ago and he said they were writing it. I think he said the script contained stuff about black holes and neutron stars.

I don't know. I've been waiting for this film since I was a kid. It would be a shame if it never happens.

Anyway, back to Moses. My problem with Moses is that, there being so many possible stories to tell, both historical and myths, the Moses thing is quite uninteresting. We've already been told that.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Sounds like this might actually be happening:

EXCLUSIVE: Steven Spielberg is near to etching in stone with Warner Bros on that biopic portraying the Jewish leader as the warrior to beat all warriors. With a working title of Gods And Kings, what’s envisioned is “a movie like a Braveheart-ish version of the Moses story,” an insider tells me. “Him coming down the river, being adopted, leaving his home, forming an army, and getting the Ten Commandments.” And despite the awesome screen possibilities of the parting of the Red Sea, the movie isn’t being contemplated in 3D. Back in 1956, Paramount release The Ten Commandments in VistaVision to give moviegoers a more spectacular experience of scenes like that. But this film is as far from a remake of the Cecile B. DeMille-directed epic as you can get even though they cover similar ground. Instead Warner Bros wants Speilberg to direct it with the gritty reality of Saving Private Ryan, which is considered a masterpiece redefining battle movies. ”There have been glossy versions of the Moses story but this would be a real warrior story,” an insider tells me.

http://www.deadline....gs-warner-bros/

Indeed! Williams scoring a true religious epic is something I've wanted to hear from him since...well, forever :P

Williams massive career has effectively explored every genre except for the sword and sandal/ancient epics of film!!! This film MUST to be made, I want this Williams score!!!!

As nice as this next Williams/Spielberg project is, you guys know how fickle Spielberg is and almost anything can change, even after his deal is done. I won't believe this movie is happening until I see Spielberg photographed on set directing this...

Sounds exciting, although I hope the "gritty realism" doesn't preclude music in many scenes, like it did in Saving Private Ryan.

It definitely sounds like Spielberg is behind this - he has said that he only believes in 3D for animation films, which might explain why Warner Brothers isn't attempting to make this in 3D.

I wonder what the timeline would be on this thing? Could we expect a December 2013 release?

EDIT: Nevermind, the article says production would begin in March or April of 2013. So probably a summer 2014 release.

Oh, it looks like Spielberg has begun work on Robopocalypse:

Spielberg just finished directing Lincoln and is already working on Robopocalypse: both are DreamWorks pics co-financed by Twentieth Century Fox. Spielberg wants a big film next and this is it: Ten Commandments was one of the most profitable films of its era, grossing $65 million in 1956 — which in today’s dollars is equivalent to close to $1 Billion theatrical. Spielberg helmed another seminal Jewish movie, Schindler’s List which won seven Oscars at the 66th Academy Awards, including Best Picture and Best Director. He was just overlooked for a Best Director nomination on Tuesday for War Horse even though it received a Best Picture nod.

Ah, that makes sense. Williams would probably get ahold of the film around the end of 2013, I'd imagine. That's doesn't seem to far off. I think he'll make it.

Ah, that makes sense. Williams would probably get ahold of the film around the end of 2013, I'd imagine. That's doesn't seem to far off. I think he'll make it.

"He'll make it"?

That doesn't sound right at all.

Sadly.