La-La Land's "1941: Expanded Edition" - Discuss!

Jay

1941, Home Alone, Home Alone 2, SW Trilogy for RCA, Space Camp, Family Plot, Black Sunday and the Superman Blue Box to name a few that popped to my head first.

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Having now relistened to the whole set and read the liner notes I award La-La-Land a big gold star for this release! Such a comprehensive and beautifully executed release. The soundquality is top notch and the music presented in all its zany glory! :)

Yes. And if only we could have such a release of Harry Potter 1-3, Star Wars prequels 1-3, Indiana Jones 1-4, Jurassic Park 1+2, Hook, and A.I.! :)

And E.T. and Schindler's List and Close Encounters and...

LLL's package already arrived. Already had a first listen to disc 1. My first impression, or rather feeling, is one of relief - to finally hear this score in unedited/unbutchered form. It's also not overbearing at all, and flows beautifully.

I too was worried it would be overbearing, but was amazed at how well it flows. When listened to in complete and chronological form, the quieter moments perfectly balance out the more bombastic ones

The OST relies too heavily on the march and Kelso-related action cues.... the full score offers so much more!

Just finished listening to disc 2, too.

This is the PERFECT release!

... until the last 20 seconds or so :)

Seriously - that has no business on such a great CD like that - luckily it's not as bad as the Born on the Fourth of July bootleg.

One other thing, is Swing Swing Swing really just an alternate mix? That solo overlay near the end is the same as the film version?

Haha yea I haven't mentioned the hidden material at the end of the second disc yet so that I wouldn't ruin the surprise. It's nice they included it (thereby giving us EVERYTHING on the album master), but its not something I want to hear everytime I listen to the score! (luckily my personal edit won't have that track anyway, since I'm going cannon-free).

As for Swing, Swing, Swing, I asked him about that in my interview and he said:

Everything was recorded together and just mixed differently for the album.

What do you mean - the album master? Wasn't it already included earlier on disc 2?

I know that's what he said in the interview - it surprised me then as well.

You're doing a personal edit of this? Whenever the good labels like LLL or FSM release a complete Williams, I always hope it's already a definitive edit. I had the impression this is - unless you're keen to hear the source music within the score, which I'm not - or if you prefer a few alternates over the rescored segments?

Right, the album master - the elements used to create the original album. In addition to containing the final mixed version of the LP, it also contained the clean Belushi vocals and cannon blasts used there.

My edit is identical to disc 1, except:

1. Each cue is its own track (I didn't separate them out and put in faked openings and endings or anything like that - its the exact same flow and pacing, just makes it easier to jump to the cue you want)

2. It opens with the Promo Trailer music, then the "March From 1941" edit (except without cannons), before finally going into the Main Titles on the third track. If I ever don't feel like listening to the 2 opening cues, I just start right on track 3.

3. The source cues are put into their proper chronological placement

4. Made one playlist to include the source cues, and one without, so I can choose depending on my mood. Even if I play the playlist with the source cues, they are easy enough to skip. I did NOT add the Andrew sisters songs. No vocals for me!

I should clarify that, if I were producing this set, Mike literally did it EXACTLY the same way I would have. Fitting the complete score on Disc 1 was definitely the way to go :up:

Mike literally did it EXACTLY the same way I would have.

Yeah me too - I withdraw my earlier cannon sentiments.

Except the aforementioned final twenty seconds. I see no reason at all they should be there. It's nothing to do with the music. And it's annoying because running to your stereo player to turn it off in time is impractical. (I like how Intrada sometimes puts the crappy end titles song first - so it can be skipped.)

depending on my mood
That could have been phrased better ;)

Ha! I absolutely love "In The Mood", specifically JW's recording of it for 1941. I never get sick of it throughout its duration!

And I am SO used to hearing it start as "Chrissie Takes Another Swim" ends, it was JARRING at first to hear disc 1 without it (on the OST, the cue segues right to another cue, so this is the first time we've heard the clean ending). It truly was written to segue to In The Mood, so I replicated that effect for my edit.

3. The source cues are put into their proper chronological placement

has the c&c tracklist been posted anywhere here? cant find it.

both my footwarmer and LLL-cd with booklet (where i suppose all is explained) are 700 kms away at my parents'...

Goodness gracious, these guys sure can make a thirty-year-old recording shine. I'll probably post more detailed thoughts on this score and release later, but in short, this is yet another perfect release from La-La Land. Bravo. The score itself is delightful...I wouldn't put it on par with Williams' finest, but it has individual moments that certainly rank up there. And the recording absolutely sparkles with an energy that you don't hear in too many modern recordings...yet it doesn't sound old. Really a pleasure to listen to.

Oh yeah, thanks for the link. This is indeed an impressive list... :blink:

Having now relistened to the whole set and read the liner notes I award La-La-Land a big gold star for this release! Such a comprehensive and beautifully executed release. The soundquality is top notch and the music presented in all its zany glory! :)

Yes. And if only we could have such a release of Harry Potter 1-3, Star Wars prequels 1-3, Indiana Jones 1-4, Jurassic Park 1+2, Hook, and A.I.! :)

And E.T. and Schindler's List and Close Encounters and...

Well, yes, but these are pretty much complete already.

And the recording absolutely sparkles with an energy that you don't hear in too many modern recordings...yet it doesn't sound old. Really a pleasure to listen to.

This.

At 80 years old, Williams is still Williams, but My God, I miss the trademark mannerisms of his 70s scoring that 1941 is filled with. It really sounds like he had fun scoring this.

It is most certainly explained in the liner notes, but it's also right here.

you may want to correct a writting error there, though, in the placement of 'in the mood'. ;)

Gah! You're right! Fixed!

Overall the presentation is brilliant. Jim Titus is an incredible artist and should be used on all La La Land products. That being said, having listened to this new presentation I found that there was something "missing" from the remastered tracks. It could be just me but I've pumped this and the old Varese CD through my lovely Paradigm speakers at equal EQ setting (flat) and volume to find that the La La Land version has been slightly stripped of some bass. The remastering sounds a bit "thin" for the lack of a better word. Those low brass blasts of the main 1941 rhythm don't have the same power as the Varese mix. For example, listen to the album presentation of "The Invasion" at the 4:51 mark. Is it just me?

-Erik-

Yay, I got my copy as well. I'm going to give it three nice listens: A headphones listen, a car listen (nothing like people staring at me from their cars at stop lights, wondering why I'm not listening to "cool" music), and a sit-in-front-of-the-Klipsch's-at-home listen.

I'm excited to see what I think of this score after hearing it in a proper presentation. Listening to footwarmers made from the DVD isolated score, I never much got into this score very much.

The remastering sounds a bit "thin" for the lack of a better word. Those low brass blasts of the main 1941 rhythm don't have the same power as the Varese mix. For example, listen to the album presentation of "The Invasion" at the 4:51 mark. Is it just me?

-Erik-

Yeah, as a trombone player I was a little disappointed there.

I'm excited to see what I think of this score after hearing it in a proper presentation. Listening to footwarmers made from the DVD isolated score, I never much got into this score very much.

Me neither. I did listen to the OST last night, for the first time in a long time, and it was good, but I noticed too much of the march theme, and then it was over. I'm looking forward to listening to LLR's but the hockey game just went into a shootout.

The complete score offers a good listening experience and variety that is lacking in the OST which is full of the march. Here the other themes and ideas get their proper due and as I said before the build-up to the finale from track Here We Go onward is just a blast where the march is intermingled with all the other themes.

Mike Matessino's liner notes are excellent as usual which is to say they are informative, analytical and entertaining at the same time.

It almost sounds like a 90's score!

Interesting, Faleel, which 90s score did you have in mind?

Wasn't this one of last scores that John Neal engineered? I miss John Neal.

The score has the classic JW sound of the 70's and hints of things to come, the action music sometimes reminiscent e.g. of ToD in its busy style.

I also love the film version of Swing, Swing, Swing. Even back in the day when I first saw the film I marveled at how the music was choreographed to the fight/dance scene. ;)

The music is full of all those small musical nods and gags, usually quickly referencing some song or a traditional piece to elicit a smile.

The Rakes of Mallow for the USO fight scene. What could fit there better than an Irish jig for a drunken brawl? :lol:

I love how Williams plays with the Elgar styled patriotic hymn music in Birkhead's Pitch and You Have Been Chosen that transforms the absurd speeches even more absurd in their pomposity.

Another gesture I love is the tongue in cheek stereotype of Japanese where Williams strikes those outrageously typical chords whenever they appear.

And despite this diversity the music is very uniform in direction and sound, the main thematic ideas, the march in particular, tying things together. You can just imagine Wild Bill Kelso cavorting around trying to save his homeland from the Axis menace whenever you hear that theme. :)

Interesting that you mention "Swing, Swing, Swing" being choreographed to the fight sequence. What did, in fact, come first: the visuals, or the music? If it is the former, then that makes JW even more of a genius than mere mortals can ever know. Fortunately, we know better...

They choreographed it to "Sing Sing Sing", but then when editing the picture, they found that there was no way to edit "Sing Sing Sing" to match the final visuals, so they had Williams write "Swing Swing Swing" as an homage that also perfectly matches the visuals. Brilliance.

The silence between the "Countdown" and "Swing Swing Swing" is one second too long for my taste. The fact that that's this release's only flaw means we have a success in our hands.

The silence between the "Countdown" and "Swing Swing Swing" is one second too long for my taste. The fact that that's these release's only flaw means we have a success in our hands.

Have you compared it to the film to see if it matches the timing used there?

Nope. I base my judgement on the way it sounds on its album.

I could elaborate, but really, it's such a small and personal thing to distract from the second half of my post. The album is fantastic.

The silence between the "Countdown" and "Swing Swing Swing" is one second too long for my taste. The fact that that's this release's only flaw means we have a success in our hands.

Yeah. One extra second of silence. But hey think of the fans who are able to now cleanly separate the cues for their complete edits. ;)

It could be just me but I've pumped this and the old Varese CD through my lovely Paradigm speakers at equal EQ setting (flat) and volume to find that the La La Land version has been slightly stripped of some bass. The remastering sounds a bit "thin" for the lack of a better word. Those low brass blasts of the main 1941 rhythm don't have the same power as the Varese mix. For example, listen to the album presentation of "The Invasion" at the 4:51 mark. Is it just me?

I never had the original release, but judging from what I can hear on the LLL, the brass sounds very powerful and natural to me. Just very sharp and not spread over too many frequencies - unlike the typical Williams/Murphy mixes of more recent years.

Just listening to the score, reading the liner notes etc..

Wanted to ask something. Has anyone spotted any inaccuracies in the liner notes?

e.g. the sentries (track 9 in disc 1)

the notes say that the cue matches the scene as presented in the extended cut.

I have the DVD with the extended cut and the isolated score, and the cue there, is not like the cd.

I mean, in the cd the sentries theme starts with clarinets, then a 2nd rendition with flute and clarinets in the 8va.

In the film we skip the first rendition and go directly to the 2nd, and then to fill out the scene we hear again a 2nd time the sentries theme in flutes and clarinets in 8va (actually it's tracked with the same introduction again with the sustained strings) and then the cue is indeed completed as in the cd. (you can hear this too in the isolated score in which someone can spot an edit-copy of the same passage)

This is just one cue. I don't know if there are any other inconsistencies..

i spotted this, since I had studied that scene..

edit: Oh, maybe now I get it. It didn't say that it's presented that way in the film and DVD, but ONLY that it matches the scene in this way..

Wow 2 stars from Filmtracks' Christian Clemmensen for the 2 disc set.

He stopped being relevant years ago. Dunno why anybody still visits his site

For laughs of course. For laughs.

I got mine two hours ago and of course listened right away. I loved it! I also love how well it serves the film. JW just fully went for it all the way. Just hearing the music you can recall all the scenes and manic action. The only thing I wish it had was a list of the performers the way the India Jones compilation does. I found out I actually knew some of the players so was sure to ask them about their experiences working a music I grew up with! Would have been nice to know who played on this as well. I really loved the action music and source music too. JW is such a vurtuosic composer. Really terrific work though the film is mediocre.

I got mine two hours ago and of course listened right away. I loved it! I also love how well it serves the film. JW just fully went for it all the way. Just hearing the music you can recall all the scenes and action. The only thing I wish it had was a list of the performers the way the India Jones compilation does. I found out I actually knew some of the players so was sure to ask them about their experiences working a music I grew up with! Would have been nice to know who played on this as well. I really loved the action music and source music too. JW is such a vurtuosic composer. Really terrific work though the film is mediocre.

On LLL's website there's a list you can download of all the orchestra members for 1941.

I got mine two hours ago and of course listened right away. I loved it! I also love how well it serves the film. JW just fully went for it all the way. Just hearing the music you can recall all the scenes and manic action. The only thing I wish it had was a list of the performers the way the India Jones compilation does. I found out I actually knew some of the players so was sure to ask them about their experiences working a music I grew up with! Would have been nice to know who played on this as well. I really loved the action music and source music too. JW is such a vurtuosic composer. Really terrific work though the film is mediocre.

List of performers

I listened to the bulk of the complete score on my way to work today. Such fun stuff...I really do like this score. Yet again, I can't pretend it's top-tier Williams, but the march is so delightfully infectious, as is the so-called ammunition motif. When this score is good, it's REALLY good, and the rest is inoffensive at the very least.

I'm surprised this thread is only on 3 pages! Come on, guys! Surely everyone has their copies by now. I feel like I haven't heard King Mark, or Incanus, or Stefan, or many other long-time members discuss this set much.

What do people think about it? Let's hear some thoughts and comments!!