La-La Land's "1941: Expanded Edition" - Discuss!

Jay

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Indy4 the liner notes said its the same performance, but without Inserts/overlays/inlays

I know, but the actual notes and rhythms that the clarinet soloist plays are different. Unless that was just a different overlay, but to me that qualifies as at least partially a new performance. I don't mind, in fact I like having both versions.

Indy4 the liner notes said its the same performance, but without Inserts/overlays/inlays

I know, but the actual notes and rhythms that the clarinet soloist plays are different..

Hence the "Insert' part of my sentence

I know, but the actual notes and rhythms that the clarinet soloist plays are different..

Hence the "Insert' part of my sentence

Hence the second sentence of my post: "Unless that was just a different overlay, but to me that qualifies as at least partially a new performance."

I listened to the piece of Jaws used in 1941, its either sped up, from a part of Jaws I cannot recognize, an alternate take from Jaws, or a piece recorded for the score.

It was *not* written/recorded for 1941! It's from the Jaws recording sessions. Do you have both the Decca Expanded CD and the original MCA OST?

It was *not* written/recorded for 1941! It's from the Jaws recording sessions. Do you have both the Decca Expanded CD and the original MCA OST?

Yes.

Where does the percussion come from? it sounds different, more like the MCA, where the rest of the instruments sound like the Decca?

I am perfectly happy just knowing that it comes from Jaws soundtrack and prefer Williams' original intentions for the scene as a more subtle nod to his own iconic theme. But then again subtlety is not something this film has in abundance. :P

Actually, it's a different performance, at least parts of it. The clarinet solo, for instance, is quite different.

There is a string section on the released version, that it is missing on the film version, so it looks as though "1941" is not complete, after all. Nice to see the trailer music is there, though. "This Christmas, Cloumbia Pictures and Universal Pictures prepares you for...next Christmas!".

It *was*.