Jerry's Goldsmith's Explorers

Jay

Hello all,

I've seen almost NO DISCUSSION of this title AT ALL, despite it being a holy grail for a lot of people for a long time!

So what do you think of Intrada's new release? How is the previously unreleased music, and the new listening experience as a whole?

How did Intrada do with the packaging and liners?

Please share your thoughts!

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've never heard the score. And the samples on Intrada didn't exactly do all that much for me. Biut I admit that I didn't pay all that much attention to them anyway.

What kind of Goldsmith is it? Or, better yet, how highly recommended is it?

Karol

One with his silly synth sounds, I'm afraid. It had some very good moments, but it was not really consistent. Again, like with Black Hole, there's loads of other scores from the composer that I'd buy first.

I am unfamiliar with the score and the film but after listening to the samples i am most definitely buying it in the near future. I hope to be able to combine this order with one of the 2 upcoming and still unannounced JW releases. Just the Explorers main theme alone is probably worth the cost.

Yes , the expanded version ADDS a LOT to the crap OST presentation

Classic Goldsmith when he was at the top of his composing game (1979-1986)

If your not a Goldsmith completist but want the best selection of his scores, this is one to get

I love the film (except the last bit) and i love the music!! One of those great traditional old symphonic scores (even with synth) that we don't have the chance to listen to nowadays..

I have posted this in the FSM thread too:

Just 1-2 minor errors (nothing important) in the booklet and back cover:

the timings for tracks 30 and 33 are wrong both in the liner notes and in the back cover (for track 33 it's only wrong on the back cover).

Also in the liner notes, page 21, track 22 it's 11M2 (I assume?) and not 1M2.

This is my personal favorite Jerry Goldsmith score. It's just got such heart to it. The "Construction" theme is brimming with soulful Americana texture that Goldsmith seemed to nail around this time in his career. The synth stuff may not be everyone's cup of tea, but I can't see how anyone would be disappointed after spending 20 bucks on this. It really soars, in my opinion.

Also in the liner notes, page 21, track 22 it's 11M2 (I assume?) and not 1M2.

Actually, that appears to be correct. It's a different take of 1M2.

It certainly outstays its welcome with the Intrada superdeluxeexcessive release if you want it to go down in one listen..

Yes, exactly. I found my thoughts wandering about 20 minutes in. However, I really do love that main theme, best stated in the "Have a Nice Trip" cue.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I didn't know Intrada had rereleased this one. I'm going to have to get it for myself.

I thought this was one of his better mid-80's synth outings. Hardly perfect, but it had a main theme that (as Hedji said so well) really soared. "The Construction," "First Flight," and "Have a Nice Trip" are musts for any true Goldsmith fan.

I tend to see a motif to much of Goldsmith's work at the time: he would generate a lot of patterned, repetitive stuff for a score, but he would always, always, find at least one place in the course of things when he would nail the theme and nuance of the film perfectly enough to prove he was still a master at capturing the foundational sense of a story and its characters. Scores like Poltergeist and Innerspace are examples. Explorers is a prime one.

- Uni

Ordered it finally, along with The First Knight. By now i'm familiar with both scores and i have to say they are great.

Sadly i can't really connect to Goldsmith's darker scores (so no Alien ever for me) but his adventurous and thematic scores are quite a thing. So you could say i only have his accessible scores but i bet Explorers, Star Trek V and First Knight are the top contenders (as well as TMP) in his filmography.

Goldsmith is no John Williams and never quite reached that constant class and genius. Nevertheless these three scores are up on par with the average Williams and in the case of Explorers and STV very refreshing and different!

(STV is even better than the average Williams and my favourite Goldsmith score so far!)

• 1 year later...

You were the first responder to his post the first time around . . . and you're just now getting around to picking it up.

Well, you won't be disappointed. My opinion of this one has only increased since then (and this release played no small part in that). This is just one of those scores I can't imagine anyone else composing.

- Uni

I was thinking about picking it up a few times, but there was always some other priority. In either case, the 80's Goldsmith is a safe bet. :)

Got my shipping confirmation btw.

Karol