Ennio Morricone's The Thing (new Buysoundtrax Complete Re-Recording)

Jay

BUYSOUNDTRAX Records is proud to announce the release of a new recording for the 1982 horror classic, THE THING – MUSIC FROM THE MOTION PICTURE, featuring music composed by Ennio Morricone for the film directed by John Carpenter (HALLOWEEN, ESCAPE FROM NEW YORK), written by Bill Lancaster, starring Kurt Russell, Keith David, Donald Moffat, Wilford Brimley, Richard Masur, Charles Hallahan, Peter Maloney, Richard Dysart, David Clennon, Thomas G. Waites, Joel Polis and T.K. Carter. For this new recording, the music has been produced and arranged by Alan Howarth and Larry Hopkins.

THE THING is a 1982 remake of the 1951 classic THE THING FROM ANOTHER WORLD. Both films were based on the classic story written by John W. Campbell Jr. THE THING tells the story of an American scientific expedition located at a remote research station in the Antarctic who have their routine interrupted by a crazed Norwegian who storms into their camp chasing a snow dog, firing shots at it with his rifle. Unable to reason with the Norwegian, they kill him and save the dog, not knowing that the dog is the host for a destructive alien-form that is able to mutate into other life-forms by infecting them and taking them over at the genetic level. As the scientists begin to unravel the mystery of the new organism they’ve discovered and its potential threat, tension builds as they begin to distrust each other. With no way to communicate with the outside world, can they survive long enough for help to arrive or will some… thing else be waiting in their place?

The music for THE THING was composed by the great Ennio Morricone. Prior to THE THING, director John Carpenter had gained a reputation as a director who also composed the music for his own films and had begun collaborating with sound designer and fellow composer Alan Howarth on the music for his films. With the enormous success of HALLOWEEN and ESCAPE FROM NEW YORK, he found himself working for Universal on his first big studio film. Working with a larger budget at his disposal, Carpenter was able to hire one of his musical idols to score the film. The movie’s final soundtrack, though, would be a combination of both Morricone and Carpenter’s sensibilities. Characteristically, Morricone did not compose his score to picture. He composed many pieces of music inspired by the film he’d watched and by the directions he’d received from Carpenter. The music would be edited to fit the film as Carpenter wanted. During the post-production process, Carpenter decided he needed more music for the film and worked with collaborator Alan Howarth to produce some additional electronic music.

The original 1982 soundtrack release for THE THING featured Ennio Morricone’s score for the film, including a wealth of music that ultimately did not get used in the film. For this new release of music from THE THING, the music has been produced and arranged by Alan Howarth and Larry Hopkins, to include newly recorded renderings of the Morricone music (including recreations of the tracks not used in the film) and Howarth has also provided new performances of the music he produced for the film with John Carpenter, making their premiere appearance on this album. The music is presented in a sequence closer to film order.

Alan Howarth, in addition to being a composer, is an accomplished sound designer and editor, having worked on films such as STAR TREK: THE MOTION PICTURE, POLTERGEIST, TOTAL RECALL, ARMY OF DARKNESS, BRAM STOKER’S DRACULA, STARGATE and many others. He has been a frequent music collaborator with John Carpenter on his films beginning with ESCAPE FROM NEW YORK in 1980 and including HALLOWEEN II & III, CHRISTINE, BIG TROUBLE IN LITTLE CHINA, THEY LIVE and PRINCE OF DARKNESS and Alan has scored many films on his own, including THE LOST EMPIRE, RETRIBUTION, HALLOWEEN 4 & 5, THE DENTIST, HEADLESS, BOO! And, most recently, EVILUTION and BASEMENT JACK.

THE THING – MUSIC FROM THE MOTION PICTURE is a limited edition release of 1500 units. The first 100 copies will be autographed by composer Alan Howarth.

For a limited time (the first 100 copies), customers who also purchase HALLOWEEN 4: THE RETURN OF MICHAEL MYERS – LIMITED EDITION with THE THING – MUSIC FROM THE MOTION PICTURE will receive both titles autographed by Alan Howarth.
Autographed copies of HALLOWEEN 4 are only available with the purchase of THE THING – MUSIC FROM THE MOTION PICTURE.

BSXCD 8895

Music From The Motion Picture
John Carpenter's The Thing

Music by
Ennio Morricone

Produced by
Alan Howarth

Arranged by
Larry Hopkins

$15.95

01. Main Title* 1:45
02. Main Theme - Desolation 4:29
03. Humanity 2 2:42
04. Despair 4:46
05. Humanity 6:51
06. Shape 3:18
07. Burn It* 1:27
08. Solitude 5:32
09. Fuchs* 2:27
10. To Mac's Shack* 2:52
11. Wait 6:21
12. Sterilization 3:42
13. Eternity 5:26
14. Contamination 1:01
15. Bestiality 2:55
16. Main Theme - End Credit 4:34
Total Time: 60:45

Original Score Composed by Ennio Morricone except
*Music by John Carpenter in association with Alan Howarth
All Tracks Universal Music Publishing Group (ASCAP)

http://buysoundtrax.stores.yahoo.net/jocathmufrmo.html

http://www.screenarchives.com/title_detail.cfm/ID/16523/THE-THING-1000-EDITION-PRE-ORDER/

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would gladly buy the original album, but you can't get it for decent rice these days. It has all I need.

I might pick this one. It's a fantastic score after all.

Karol

I would gladly buy the original album, but you can't get it for decent rice these days. It has all I need.

I might pick this one. It's a fantastic score after all.

Karol

Well it depends on what kind of rice you like... :lick:

I for one, might grab this.

While I'm a fan of BSX otherwise - they're known to release gems now and then, some of their Mark Snow releases for instance - their recent trend to obfuscate the fact that they're releasing synth rerecordings is not one I can say I'm very happy about. I wish they would just come straight out and say it. Or risk some money on an orchestral rerecording otherwise.

Well, to quote BSX, "have you listened to the samples yet?"

I think it would be in big, bold red capital letters in their press release had they hired an actual orchestra for a change.

I say pass then.

Varese, where are you when I need you? Speaking of which, maybe they'll actually release The Thing as part of their new batch? There is a new film coming out and all that... Same with Scream earlier this year.

Karol

I'd be interested in hearing how they interpret the Norwegian camp - I sincerely doubt they have fully recaptured those uniquely eerie Morricone strings, but if they have managed it then the performance and recording will be very much worthwhile.

I think some of it is real orchestra- or they have a sampled string library that is so good it sounds really real. And I own most of those so I think they did hire a group. The string bowing usually reveals samples and I don't hear anything that sound synthetic except the strings on the first example. Everything else sounds real to me.

But don't you think that would be in their press release? Esp. given their history of synth recordings? The only sample I'm not so sure of is the last one.

EDIT: relistened to that last sample. I'm not at all an expert on these things, but it sounds as if they got together two, three soloists perhaps, then doubled the rest with synth.

Being a HUGE fan of this score (IMO still Morricone's finest effort) I ordered this immediately after learning about it. Being limited to 1500, it might sell out fast so better safe than sorry. :) The samples sound good enough to me, and it's even expanded to some point (e.g. To Mac's Shack) so I'm very curious how it turns out. Can't wait to receive it!

But on the other hand I also hope that Varese or whoever rereleases the original score sometime soon - expanded and remastered, of course! :P

Had a horrendous experience with them a few years ago and NEVER forgave them for it. They're a horrendous company run by morons. Wouldn't buy this or any other product from them ever again.

Helps if you give more details than 'horrendous experience'...

I ordered a CD from them 2 years ago that took them about 2 - 3 weeks to dispatch, but I was aware they weren't exactly light speed so I just accepted it, and I didn't need it until Xmas anyway.

This one sounds like an orchestra to me. You can hear ambient sounds in 'Humanity'.

• 3 weeks later...

Well, to quote BSX, "have you listened to the samples yet?"

I think it would be in big, bold red capital letters in their press release had they hired an actual orchestra for a change.

Well the title been shipping out for awhile and we stand by it.

Did you ever listen to the samples for this title?

If you haven't go here:

http://buysoundtrax....cathmufrmo.html

Given them a listen and make up your own minds.

Has anyone here heard the final album yet?

Mark Banning

www.buysoundtrax.com

As I said on FSM, this is possible the future of re-recordings of classic scores.

It's no longer financially feasible to record with a real orchestra. As shown by Tadlow pulling out, and Varese not doing any re-recordings for a while now. Sampling technology on the other hand is improving, and in a few years time the difference will not be so noticeable as it is now.

The complete score has only 60 mins? And how's the performance? That what I concern most.

There is less then 42 minutes of score in the film itself, including the opening and closing titles.

Our release features all of the music that appeared on the soundtrack (much of which wasn't used in the film) as well as the few cues done by John Carpenter and Alan Howarth at the last minute before dubbing.

Having Alan Howarth onboard really made this project a lot of fun to do.

Mark Banning

www.buysoundtrax.com

I have, and posted my thoughts above.

No need to be defensive by the way, I'm one of the defenders of BSX all the time. Instead of telling people to go listen to the samples (when they've already done so), I think it'd be better if you just told how the rerecording was done, so everyone who's interested in the release would know what to expect.

I haven't heard the CD, but I think this release should be very interesting for the people interested in the Howarth & Carpenter material; and not so much for people who want the Morricone score, because of the synths.

I have, and posted my thoughts above.

No need to be defensive by the way, I'm one of the defenders of BSX all the time. Instead of telling people to go listen to the samples (when they've already done so), I think it'd be better if you just told how the rerecording was done, so everyone who's interested in the release would know what to expect.

I haven't heard the CD, but I think this release should be very interesting for the people interested in the Howarth & Carpenter material; and not so much for people who want the Morricone score, because of the synths.

As far as we care concerned, the end result is what matters at the end of the day.

It's sort of like seeing sausage made, it's not pretty, but if you want to enjoy the hot dog, don't watch it being made.

:-)

That's why we tell folks to listen to the clips and make up their own minds.

If you like what you hear, that's great.

If you don't, pass on it.

It's your choice.

We approved it and think that it's pretty damned good.

We hope you enjoy it.

Mark Banning

www.buysoundtrax.com

All due respect, but that is a an extremely selfish and unhelpful policy.

Just be honest with your customers at all times. Then no one can complain about a thing.

The tendency, with the other labels is to give a lot of information in their linernotes, on their website and on forums about how an album was put together. (with Varese being a bit less giving in that regard)

Buysoundtrax does not have that policy, never had, never will. You either accept it, or move on.

We provide samples of what we are offering, we encourage folks to play the sames before they purchase our product.

That would appear to be "Very Helpful" to the customer before purchasing the product in queston.

Just be honest with your customers at all times. Then no one can complain about a thing.

We have been all long..

Mark Banning

www.buysoundtrax.com

For some reason the samples aren't working for me. Anyone care to help?

We just changed audio servers recently:

Go here:

http://buysoundtrax.stores.yahoo.net/jocathmufrmo.html

All of the clips work now.

Mark Banning

www.buysoundtrax.com

My question is: were the original recordings not available to you guys? Lost? Destroyed? Why the decision to rerecord? To me it sounds like music from Goldeneye 64 now.

I would have bought a remastered reissue in a heartbeat, but it just sounds too different for me.

My question is: were the original recordings not available to you guys? Lost? Destroyed? Why the decision to rerecord?

Because we'd own the recording in question and we'd have the digital rights as well.

If you were to license the title from UMG, you weren't get those rights for the soundtrack recording.

To me it sounds like music from Goldeneye 64 now.

Huh?

I have no idea of what you are getting at....

I would have bought a remastered reissue in a heartbeat, but it just sounds too different for me.

That is your opinion you are entitled to it.

Have a good day.

Mark Banning

www.buysoundtrax.com

We provide samples of what we are offering, we encourage folks to play the sames before they purchase our product.

That would appear to be "Very Helpful" to the customer before purchasing the product in queston.

We have been all long..

Mark Banning

www.buysoundtrax.com

That's not my point. When you announced Battle Beyond the Stars, you got many people asking you if it was an LP rip. Every single time, all you and Ford said was "listen to the samples, listen to the samples, listen to the samples", instead of simply saying "Yes, it is LP sourced, and we stand by our product"

When you announced The Thing, you had many people asking you if a real orchestra was used or if it was synth only. Every single time, all you said was "Listen to the samples, listen to the samples, listen to the samples", instead of simply saying "Yes, it is entirely synth, and we stand by our product"

Why hide things? Why not answer these simple questions directly? Instead of pissing people off, all the information would be out there, and no one would complain.

But I guess you don't want to run your business that way.

As I mentioned above, my guess is that they got one or two soloists, doubled them and overlaid them with synths. Which would also explain the refusal to give more info, and the soup analogy.

And this is not to say there is something wrong with the method. I can see how for a smaller label a real rerecording would be much too costly, and I guess the real meat of this release is in the tracks that were synth in the first place. I also agree with Jason how it would probably be received better among other fans if they were upfront about the method; but I guess it's their choice how to handle these things.

• 1 month later...

After having given this CD quite a few thorough spins and listens, I'm happy to say that personally, I'm very happy with this new version. As far as I could hear, most of the time the music and its execution, no matter how it was achieved, is so close to the original that it is very difficult to distinguish between the two. Also, the additional material is great, especially the legendary Main Title. I would definitely without hesitation recommend this edition to everybody and I thank Buysoundtrax for it.

I was hoping for the film version of the closing credits. Don't get me wrong I love the CD. I asked this question on the FSM board this was the response:

transparent.gificon1.gif Posted: Nov 11, 2011 - 12:43 PM By: MikeJ (Member)

The version of the end credits on this album is different from the movie. I believe Alan was going for something that would be in line with other end credits music pieces heard in Carpenter films.

I thought the percussion was a nice touch and it reminded me of PRINCE OF DARKNESS, THEY LIVE, BIG TROUBLE right away.

After having given this CD quite a few thorough spins and listens, I'm happy to say that personally, I'm very happy with this new version. As far as I could hear, most of the time the music and its execution, no matter how it was achieved, is so close to the original that it is very difficult to distinguish between the two. Also, the additional material is great, especially the legendary Main Title. I would definitely without hesitation recommend this edition to everybody and I thank Buysoundtrax for it.

I agree, I like it a lot. They've done a very good job.