Which theme is more well known by the average guy?

Which theme is more well known by the average guy?Which theme is more well known by the average guy?  

42 members have voted

1. 1. Which theme is more well known by the average guy?

• Hedwig's Theme
    • He's A Pirate from Pirates Of The Caribean.

Which movie theme associated with a very successful franchise is more recognized by the average (non-filmscore fan) public?

I would vote for He's A Pirate, which I've heard as a marching band arrangement, at a fireworks display, it's been used in Top Gear, several reality TV shows...

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Which movie theme associated with a very successful franchise is more recognized by the average (non-filmscore fan) public?

I would vote for He's A Pirate, which I've heard as a marching band arrangement, at a fireworks display, it's been used in Top Gear, several reality TV shows...

People are certainly familiar with He's a Pirate and respond better to that tune. But I don't think they know what specific Hollywood franchise it's from (it simply sounds Hollywood-esque). Hedwig's Theme is the polar opposite: people only associate it with Harry Potter and respond accordingly to their feelings with the franchise.

People are certainly familiar with He's a Pirate and respond better to that tune. But I don't think they know what specific Hollywood franchise it's from (it simply sounds Hollywood-esque). Hedwig's Theme is the polar opposite: people only associate it with Harry Potter and respond accordingly to their feelings with the franchise.

I agree with this. I've met people who confused Star Wars with Jurassic Park, so they recognise the melody as a famous film 'theme song' (aghh) but don't really know which big franchise it is.

And someone at work once remarked that the bit in The Great Eatlon just before the final 'blue world' ourburst 'sounds like Harry Potter'. It's become a classic, identifiable theme.

I think people would easily recognize He's a Pirate if they heard it, but if you asked htem to hum the theme from PotC they probably wouldn't be able to. Hedwig's THeme they could probably produce and recognize.

Difficult question.

Both have become ingrained in popular culture and appear in various forms and shapes all over the place.

But given the strong cult appeal of the HP series, I'd have to go for "Hedwig's Theme"....by a tiny margin.

It's probably neck-to-neck, but since my supervisor was talking about Hans Zimmer and Pirates just yesterday, I voted for that. He knows I listen to scores and asked me what else Zimmer has done besides Pirates and The Dark Knight.

It's probably neck-to-neck, but since my supervisor was talking about Hans Zimmer and Pirates just yesterday, I voted for that. He knows I listen to scores and asked me what else Zimmer has done besides Pirates and The Dark Knight.

By supervisor do you mean your "minder"?

Does the average guy of today know any themes? Everything is so theme-less these days. How do people sing along with Zimmer's always returning menacing staccato strings rhythms?

You can't argue with the graphs and statistics. I believe you. Majority has announced its verdict.

I don't know. People actually recognize Hedwig's theme. They, of course, have no idea what it represents, what it's called, where it's from and who wrote it.

But yeah, they know it.

Oh and even if they know where it's from then they go: "It's a good tune, but pity they never used that awesome version from the later HP trailers".

Karol

By supervisor do you mean your "minder"?

By supervisor I mean supervisor.

The answer is absolutely Hedwig's Theme. Most people wouldn't know the title or composer of either theme, but at least they'd be able to peg Hedwig's Theme to the correct series.

I think for a non-film score fan to recognize He's a Pirate, there would have to be some other clue, like a pirate ship or Jack Sparrow, to remind them that it was from PotC.

Hedwig's Theme, on the other hand, is pretty much instantly recognizable from the first two notes, especially if played on the celesta. Anyone who has so much as seen a trailer for a HP movie would know exactly what franchise the tune was associated with.

I think the reason is not so much in the popularity of the franchise - it's in the complexity of the sound. The distinctive sound of the celesta playing a clear, simple melody is much easier to distinguish than a bunch of brass playing a relatively complex rhythm with several layers of orchestration. People not versed in the language of film scores would have a hard time picking out the melody at all.

I think you also have to take into account that Hedwig's Theme is much more complex melodically, and perhaps not as easy to remember. You may recall a strangeness about it, or a general sense of it, but to whistle it may be difficult for a lot of average movie-goers.

Besides, the average person doesn't know shit about film music anyway, so their opinion of the matter is irrelevant to me.

Obviously Hedwig's Theme. It screams "Harry Potter". Of course "He's a Pirate" many people will recognise as being POTC, but I bet if you played them any old pirate shanty they'd say it was the theme from POTC.

Agreed with the past few posts, people will be able to hum along with the PotC Theme more easily than Hedwig's, but the average movie goer will know that Hedwig's Theme is Harry Potter just because (and now I'm going to try and word this as best as I can), Hedwig's opening is magically brilliant just like the Harry Potter series is -it draws you in from the beginning and is just rich in content (IMO). However, like Quint said, people can easily mistake the movie He's a Pirate is from.

Agreed with the past few posts, people will be able to hum along with the PotC Theme more easily than Hedwig's, but the average movie goer will know that Hedwig's Theme is Harry Potter just because (and now I'm going to try and word this as best as I can), Hedwig's opening is magically brilliant just like the Harry Potter series is -it draws you in from the beginning and is just rich in content (IMO). However, like Quint said, people can easily mistake the movie He's a Pirate is from.

I often have trouble humming/whistling HAP, Whenever I try, I end up humming/whistling the backdraft theme.