The Adventures of Tintin VIDEO GAME Thread (Original music by Christophe Héral)

Muad'Dib

I just slack off a lot at my job :lol:

I'm out being social on weekends for the most part, its generally mon-fri working hours that I'm mostly on the board

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm a slow typist.

By the time I typed my post, clicked the merge, and then got the URL pasted, Jason had already finished it.

I do think that if any of JW's score does show up anywhere, a second thread for discussing the score would be appropriate

I do think that if any of JW's score does show up anywhere, a second thread for discussing the score would be appropriate

Correct, however I would suggest we don't need a thread for each individual cue, which happened for KOTCS.

Well that was cause we had an entirely separate forum, I suppose. I wouldn't mind having a temporary "Tintin and War Horse" forum this time around either. I know there will be people looking to avoid spoilers

• 3 months later...

The video game looks pretty good!

http://www.digitalsp...rn-preview.html

http://www.digitalsp...nto-a-game.html

Also here's a new trailer for it:

http://www.droidgame...tures-of-tintin

I'm at work, but I assume it contains no Williams score right?

http://www.droidgame...tures-of-tintin

I'm at work, but I assume it contains no Williams score right?

I guess the music is by Christophe Héral, the composer for the game. It certainly sounds somewhat like a Williams pastiché without directly quoting anything written by him. Not bad.

I'm at work so can't listen to that new trailer right now, but all the old trailers for this game featured music that sounded vaguely Williams-esque, but didn't directly reference any of the themes from Tintin's actual score.

I think they are keeping the original score pretty well under wraps until the release of the film and the OST album.

• 4 weeks later...

I don't play videogames tied into movie releases .They are not real games

How are they not real games? I find a real game is decided on how fun it is, not on if it has a super-original story....

How would you know, since you're not a real gamer?

Lee - who of course remembers that Goldeneye is to this day regarded as one of the greatest games of all time.

of course I'm a real gamer. I don't play Call of duty

I've completed 40 console titles in the past 2 years, each comprising of about 40-100 hours of playtime

I've just poured 80 hours into Dark Souls for the past 2 weeks, described as one of the most hard core games ever made, and I'm not a "real" gamer?

Please give me you description of what a "real" gamer is?

CoD is a genre game, KM. What makes you any different, special or superior? We know very well you're a genre gamer, too. CoD is about as derivative as the bland Jap shovelware which you embrace as if each new title is a first.

You're not a gamer; you're a role player. Video games are merely a means to an end, where you're concerned.

oh I guess Fallout New Vegas is not a real game either, which I dumped another 100 hours into

Quint is referring to the fact I'm not a big fan of Platformers ( Super Mario) and pure FPS shooters , making me a "false gamer"

You're not a gamer; you're a role player.

I don't see the difference here.

Are you saying that back in the day you assumed the role of a spikey blue hedgehog, or a descending L-shaped block?

Because I certainly didn't where Sonic and Tetris were concerned.

You're not a gamer; you're a role player.

I don't see the difference here.

Are you saying that back in the day you assumed the role of a spikey blue hedgehog, or a descending L-shaped block?

Because I certainly didn't where Sonic and Tetris were concerned.

:lol: I know, I know, I just didn't word my post very well.

oh I guess Fallout New Vegas is not a real game either, which I dumped another 100 hours into

You read me wrong: I said you're a genre gamer; not, "you're gamer who plays different genres." What makes you think that Fallout is anything BUT an rpg?

How are they not real games? I find a real game is decided on how fun it is, not on if it has a super-original story....

Well said Faleel!

• 2 weeks later...

A neat little interview from Alexander. :)

Interesting how Héral got to hear a few Williams cues but I think wisely chose to take his own route. From what I gather the music in the game still became similar in spirit as Williams'

When did Ubisoft contact you for writing the music?

Michel Ancel told me first about this project in summer 2007. Michel showed to Steven Spielberg and Peter Jackson a small playable demo of what the game might look like. After that, they asked Ubisoft to do the game “Tintin and the Secret of the Unicorn”. Ubisoft contacted me early during the development to compose the music and to supervise the sound.

When did you start writing the score?

I made a first theme for the demo, but I really thinked about the music in January 2011. In a game like Tintin, the cinematic structure should provide a narrative to the game, so I had to wait until they were done.

How long is the score in total?

With the “destroyed” versions of the Coop mode, I think there is more than two hours of music.

How many cues did you compose in total?

I don’t know exactly… a lot icon_wink.gif

Have you had contact with John Williams whilst composing?

I asked Paramount to give me excerpts from John Williams’ music to know which direction he chose. I received three pieces in february : the opening credits and two extracts finally used in Marlinspike Hall, The Secret of the Scrolls and also when Tintin is in the library, but it was of course impossible for me using any single note of John Williams’ work. I just listened his music twice not to be influenced.

Would you like the score to be released on cd?

Yes, of course, but that doesn’t depend on us. I just hope that music can exist independently.

Do you like the presentation of the score in the game?

In this game, I was Audio Director, so with the Creative Director, Jacques Exertier, and the Lead Audio, Timothée Paulevé, we decided together where to put or not some music. We did, hopefully, for the better icon_wink.gif

Did you like working with Ubisoft?

I am very lucky to work with and for Ubisoft, because I work with an incredible freedom. On Tintin and Rayman, I was able to compose the music I wanted to compose. It’s very rare to have producers who have complete confidence in you !

When did Mathieu Alvado start orchestrating the score? Was it fun working together?

Yes, yes, and yes. It’s a great pleasure to work with Mathieu. We worked together on “Eleanor’s secret” an cartoon movie for which he orchestrated some cues. Since then to “Rayman’s Origin,” I feel that we never stopped working together !

We had to make trailers for “Tintin” to “Rayman”in 2010, but for Mathieu, the serious work really began in March 2011.

How many themes did you write for the score?

There’s a lot of themes in Tintin. The two main themes are the Unicorn’s theme and the Captain Haddock’s theme. Haddock is a very interesting character. When Tintin meets him on the Karaboudjan, he’s depressed because he belongs to a family of cursed sailors. Then, as the story unfolds, the captain recovers confidence in himself, and will even manage the operations! So his music has to follow this evolution. For the Unicorn I wanted the music to be close to Korngold’s “Sea Hawk” or “Captain Blood”, the kind of movies our parents, our grandparents would have watched when they were young. Mathieu and I listened and studied a lot of that kind of music, and Mathieu orchestrated these themes keeping that in mind!

Over that, there’s the theme for the plane, it’s an adventure theme with some fights, there’s also a theme for Snowy that I wanted to be a tribute to Django Reinhardt and Stephane Grappelli (Gypsy music) , a theme for the Thomsons with two alto saxophones , a few love songs, music of infiltration, a theme for Allan, for the fights …

What is the first score that you have ever written?

I composed the music for my first short film in 1986 after JC… icon_smile.gif It was for Cello solo because we had a small budget icon_smile.gif

How many scores have you already composed?

I have no idea. I composed for 40 short films, 20 documentaries, 2 cartoon movies , 3 video games and one tv show. I never counted how many notes of music icon_smile.gif

Do you like the game itself? Do/did you play it?

Ouch! Unfortunately I do not play so much because I do not have time to, and when I’m working on a game, I play a lot, so in the evening I like to read a book …

Are you writing a score at the moment?

Yes, I have to compose the music for a short film, I also have a command from the France for a very nice project about the Mediterranean Sea’s music , and then, very soon will come another game project video, but … shhh, it’s a secret … not the Unicorn’s one, no, another secret icon_smile.gif

Haddock is a very interesting character. When Tintin meets him on the Karaboudjan, he’s depressed because he belongs to a family of cursed sailors. Then, as the story unfolds, the captain recovers confidence in himself, and will even manage the operations! So his music has to follow this evolution.

So, Williams stole that idea from Héral himself? That cheap bastard!

:lol2:

hello BloodBoal, nobody is a thief, it's just the Hergé's story .

a few love songs

:eh:

France, Belgium are countries where there are many love songs. :nopity:

And people listened to the radio at this period, there was not television !

We can listen to the radio in the game .....

best regards