The Themes of The Adventures of Tintin

Jay

Per request, here is where I personally hear all the themes of the Tintin score on the OST. The names of themes are guesses - no way to REALLY tell what they represent until seeing the film.

I'm sure I missed some here and there or were wrong about a few themes. Let's discuss!

1. The Adventures of Tintin (3:04)

0:34-0:37 Tintin’s Heroic Theme

2:16-2:18 Tintin’s Heroic Theme

2:48-2:53 Tintin’s Heroic Theme

2. Snowy's Theme (2:10)

0:00-0:31 Snowy’s Theme

0:35-0:41 Snowy’s Theme

0:47-0:53 Snowy’s Theme

1:13-1:18 Snowy’s Theme

1:26-1:30 Snowy’s Theme

1:33-1:36 Snowy’s Theme

1:40-2:01 Snowy’s Theme

3. The Secret of the Scrolls (3:13)

0:05-0:24 The Unicorn Theme

0:24-0:36 The Scrolls Theme

0:36-0:50 The Unicorn Theme

0:56-1:04 The Scrolls Theme

1:34-1:45 Snowy’s Theme

2:16-2:24 Tintin’s Heroic Theme

2:28-2:40 The Unicorn Theme

2:46-3:08 The Scrolls Theme

4. Introducing the Thompsons and Snowy's Chase (4:08)

0:05-0:34 Thomson and Thompson’s Theme

0:41-0:52 Thomson and Thompson’s Theme

1:10-1:13 Tintin’s Secondary Theme

1:29-1:32 Tintin’s Secondary Theme

1:42-1:47 The Unicorn Theme

1:50-1:51 Tintin’s Secondary Theme

1:56-2:08 Tintin’s Mystery Solving Theme

2:52-2:53 Tintin’s Secondary Theme

3:02-3:13 Snowy’s Theme

3:31-3:40 Snowy’s Theme

3:48-4:03 Tintin’s Secondary Theme

5. Marlinspike Hall (3:59)

0:00-0:05 Tintin’s Secondary Theme

0:55-1:02 Snowy’s Theme

1:51-2:02 The Unicorn Theme

2:14-2:24 Tintin’s Mystery Solving Theme

2:32-2:34 Tintin’s Heroic Theme

3:20-3:29 The Scrolls Theme (Sinister variation)

6. Escape from the Karaboudjan (3:21)

0:00-0:04 Tintin’s Secondary Theme

0:11-0:14 Tintin’s Secondary Theme

0:17-0:22 Tintin’s Heroic Theme

0:41-0:43 Snowy’s Theme

0:49-0:53 Tintin’s Heroic Theme

0:59-1:10 Tintin’s Heroic Theme

1:23-1:25 Tintin’s Heroic Theme

2:19-2:22 Tintin’s Heroic Theme

2:25-2:40 Sakharine's Theme

2:45-2:51 Bagghar Theme

2:53-2:56 Sakharine's Theme

3:04-3:09 Sakharine's Theme

7. Sir Francis and the Unicorn (5:05)

1:03-1:55 The Unicorn Theme (B Section from 1:14-1:25 and 1:44-1:55)

2:03-2:09 The Unicorn Theme

2:14-2:30 Red Rackham’s Theme

2:30-2:54 Sir Francis’ Theme

2:54-3:03 The Unicorn Theme

3:05-3:20 Red Rackham’s Theme

3:27-3:40 Red Rackham’s Theme

3:40-3:53 The Unicorn Theme

4:17-4:30 Sir Francis’ Theme

4:46-4:53 The Unicorn Theme

8. Captain Haddock Takes the Oars (2:17)

0:05-0:17 Haddock’s Theme

0:43-0:54 Haddock’s Theme

0:58-1:09 Haddock’s Theme

1:28-1:40 Haddock’s Theme

1:51-1:54 Tintin’s Heroic Theme

9. Red Rackham's Curse and the Treasure (6:10)

0:47-0:58 Rackham's Treasure Theme

2:24-2:46 Dueling Pirates Theme

2:52-3:16 Dueling Pirates Theme

3:41-3:46 The Unicorn Theme

3:59-4:04 Dueling Pirates Theme

4:20-4:30 The Unicorn Theme

4:40-4:44 Rackham's Treasure Theme

4:45-4:52 The Unicorn Theme

5:14-5:23 Rackham's Treasure Theme

5:46-5:55 Bagghar Theme

10. Capturing Mr. Silk (2:58)

0:47-1:01 Haddock’s Theme

1:18-1:36 Thomson and Thompson’s Theme

2:23-2:52 Thomson and Thompson’s Theme

11. The Flight to Bagghar (3:33)

0:21-0:25 Haddock’s Theme

0:32-0:40 Haddock’s Theme

0:41-0:42 Snowy’s Theme

1:12-1:20 Tintin’s Heroic Theme

1:48-1:58 Haddock’s Theme

3:02-3:10 Haddock’s Theme

12. The Milanese Nightingale (1:30)

1:17-1:23 The Unicorn Theme

13. Presenting Bianca Castafiore (3:28)

14. The Pursuit of the Falcon (5:43)

1:53-2:00 Snowy’s Theme

2:04-2:14 Snowy’s Theme

2:24-2:30 Tintin’s Secondary Theme

2:34-2:39 Tintin’s Secondary Theme

2:47-2:54 Snowy’s Theme

2:58-3:02 Tintin’s Secondary Theme

3:38-3:41 Tintin’s Heroic Theme

4:17-4:36 Tintin’s Heroic Theme

4:45-4:48 Tintin’s Secondary Theme

4:55-5:07 Tintin’s Secondary Theme

5:13-5:19 Tintin’s Heroic Theme

15. The Captain's Counsel (2:10)

0:05-0:15 Haddock’s Theme

0:58-1:15 Haddock’s Theme

1:25-1:36 Tintin’s Heroic Theme

1:36-1:49 Tintin’s Mystery Solving Theme

1:49-1:52 Thomson and Thompson’s Theme

16. The Clash of the Cranes (3:48)

0:45-0:47 Snowy’s Theme

0:57-1:15 Red Rackham’s Theme

2:32-2:40 Haddock’s Theme

2:53-3:04 Haddock’s Theme

3:07-3:15 Tintin’s Heroic Theme

3:27-3:30 Tintin’s Heroic Theme

3:30-3:31 Snowy's Theme

3:34-3:39 Thomson and Thompson’s Theme

17. The Return to Marlinspike Hall and Finale (5:51)

0:04-0:23 The Unicorn Theme

0:24-0:32 Tintin’s Heroic Theme

0:32-1:06 Snowy’s Theme

1:24-1:35 Haddock’s Theme

3:09-3:20 The Unicorn Theme

3:31-3:40 Haddock’s Theme

3:41-3:48 The Unicorn Theme

4:08-4:23 Rackham's Treasure Theme

4:23-4:37 The Unicorn Theme (B Section from 4:31-4:37)

4:47-5:01 Haddock’s Theme

5:12-5:20 The Unicorn Theme

5:23-5:30 The Unicorn Theme

5:39-5:51 The Unicorn Theme

18. The Adventure Continues (2:58)

0:06-0:51 Dueling Pirates Theme

0:55-1:08 Dueling Pirates Theme (B Section)

1:31-1:37 Dueling Pirates Theme

1:47-2:29 Dueling Pirates Theme

2:41-2:51 Dueling Pirates Theme

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

wow! How much time did it take this? ;-)

thank you !

by the way, the theme that you're referring as Tintin's theme B in track 1, is different from all the other b versions in the other tracks. They have relations, but they are different themes.

Impressive Jason! Most impressive! :) I will have to compare our notes so to speak when I have time.

Hmm, can you provide specific examples with timestamps?

Here, I made notations of the 2 themes.

As I said, all the tintin themes (version b) in all the tracks (as many as I've heard of), are a different theme from the one in track 1 that you notate again as Tintin's theme (version B).

they have intervallic-rhythmic relations, but they are different.

tintinb.jpg

the first theme, it's from marlinspike hall track. the 2nd phrase might appear a bit different in other renditions. Although i think mostly he uses the first phrase only.

You guys sure about that?

This is the "reveal of exotic location" music from 5:38-5:46

example1t.jpg

And this is the normal Bagghar Theme that plays right after it, as is also heard in Escape from the Karaboudjan

example2.jpg

You guys sure about that?

This is the "reveal of exotic location" music from 5:38-5:46

example1t.jpg

And this is the normal Bagghar Theme that plays right after it, as is also heard in Escape from the Karaboudjan

example2.jpg

well, the one is a variation of the other..

well, all these 3 themes are essentially almost the same, or variations.

if we're in D:

- the slow version reaches G (4th up) as a point of rest and returns

- the normal version reaches Bb (6th up) as a point of rest and returns

- the big version reaches C (7th up) as peak point and returns

but all start almost the same

Okay, I think I found a new theme (a theme that hasn't been mentioned here yet):

I thought at first that it was a continuation, or B section of Thomspon's Theme, and it does seem closely associated with it, but I think it's a different theme, or motif. You can hear it in this clip and it plays when the Thompsons are NOT on screen (from 0:06-0:16).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=heU3cmo01fs

You can hear it at least on three different occasions on the OS album:

Introducing the Thompsons: 1:57-2:10

Marlinspike Hall: 2:14-2:24

Captain's Counsel: 1:36-1:49

I think this might be a sort of "riddle-solving" motif or theme... :)

Good catch Josh! :) I think it is a playful take on Tintin's music. In that clip it plays as Tintin solves the Karaboudjan code word. Obviously something to do with his mystery solving.

Good catch Josh! I had noticed that motif, but thought it was a B Section or Intro to T&T's theme. I didn't consider that T&T's theme doesn't otherwise play in 05 Marlinspike Hall..... Good job!

Track 1 is a kind of passacaglia. (=a series of variations over an ostinato pattern)

Meaning that wa have one theme in the bass (the opening theme), and it's repeated over and over (here 9 times approximately with interludes in between), and the melody on top, or harmony etc. changing constantly.

From what it seems this theme is important for track 1, but i can't find it intact anywhere else, except servicing as a basic idea on which other themes are based.

I don't remember right now any other "Passacaglia" of Williams from another film. ANy ideas?

Good catch Josh! :) I think it is a playful take on Tintin's music. In that clip it plays as Tintin solves the Karaboudjan code word. Obviously something to do with his mystery solving.

Good catch Josh! I had noticed that motif, but thought it was a B Section or Intro to T&T's theme. I didn't consider that T&T's theme doesn't otherwise play in 05 Marlinspike Hall..... Good job!

Thanks!

I think this bit is really catchy, somewhat quasi-jazzy, it stuck in my mind after listening to the album 2 or 3 times! It seems to describe a sort of bumbling detective work... moving sluggishly on to reveal . . . whatever! :lol: Love it!

Track 1 is a kind of passacaglia. (=a series of variations over an ostinato pattern)

Meaning that wa have one theme in the bass (the opening theme), and it's repeated over and over (here 9 times approximately with interludes in between), and the melody on top, or harmony etc. changing constantly.

From what it seems this theme is important for track 1, but i can't find it intact anywhere else, except servicing as a basic idea on which other themes are based.

Capturing Mr Silk has the begining of it twice if I remember correctly.

Capturing Mr Silk has the begining of it twice if I remember correctly.

it's just the first phrase with the first 4 notes. Not the complete theme (0.00-0.12 of track 1)

edit: oh, now i saw you said "the beginning of it". Right.

I was talking more about the intact theme..

So Alexander, since you've actually seen the film can you tell us what each of the two different Unicorn/Mystery Themes represents? Is one for the ship and one for the scrolls?

What about the A Version and B Version of Tintin's Theme? Is there a specific reason either one is used or does Williams just use both as a generic main theme?

And finally, how about that theme in The Escape From The Karaboudjan from 2:25-2:40, 2:53-2:56, and 3:04-3:09? Does it represent a specific character (Alan, and Merkel has suggested? Or perhaps Sackharine?)

Let's do a quick RANKING OF THEMES, if you don't mind (I didn't want to start a new thread just for this since we already have this one): :)

Which are your Top 6 Themes (or you can do a Top 10, if you want to) from "The Adventures of Tintin" so far? And let's use the names for the themes in the original post of this thread.

My list:

1. Tintin's Theme (this still ranks top for me; I especially love the loud, powerful renditions of it in "Flight" and "Pursuit"; not as powerful or memorable as Raiders March, of course, but this might be just as effective in its simplicity)

2. Red Rackham’s Theme (so catchy, menacing, and epic! IMO the second best theme from the movie; also the first theme we got to hear in the trailer)

3. Dueling Pirates Theme (no comment; speaks for itself)

4. Snowy's Theme (the "cutest" theme, not just in this movie, but probably of JW's career! so bright and optimistic and fun)

5. Haddock's Theme (arguably the most complex theme, goes through the most variations; I especially like this in "Flight")

6. Secondary Unicorn Theme (so wonderfully creepy, especially in the track "Scrolls"; this is starting to really grow on me! reminiscent of CoS, somehow)

tintinb.jpg

Okay, do we even know for sure that this so-called "Tintin’s Theme [b Version]" is really a theme for Tintin...? Or is that just pure guesswork too?

I think that we have to wait for a while before we can figure everything out. People usually do not see the film with notepads in hand on the first viewing in the theater, making copious notes on the score.

That's for the second viewing. ;)

Okay, do we even know for sure that this so-called "Tintin’s Theme [b Version]" is really a theme for Tintin...? Or is that just pure guesswork too?

We don't know. I asked Alexander what he thought in the post directly above yours since he has seen the film, but he hasn't responded.

Well at least the music won't be difficult to hear since as Alexander said it is mixed very loud in the film. :)

Well, this theme sounds a bit mischievous and sneaky to me... more like a bad guy's theme.

Especially in these examples:

6. Escape from the Karaboudjan (3:21)

0:00-0:04 Tintin’s Theme [b Version]

0:11-0:14 Tintin’s Theme [b Version]

0:17-0:22 Tintin’s Theme [A Version]

0:41-0:43 Snowy’s Theme

2:24-2:30 Tintin’s Theme [b Version]

2:34-2:39 Tintin’s Theme [b Version]

2:58-3:02 Tintin’s Theme [b Version]

3:38-3:41 Tintin’s Theme [A Version]

Still, this could be another theme for Tintin, yes. Alexander, where are you???

The theme is featured on those few early tracks on the CD and then finally in the Pursuit of the Falcon. Alexander! Help! Clarifications!

Okay, another argument why Tintin's B Theme might be a bad guy's theme is this:

In the entire track of "Pursuit," there's is not a single bad guy theme to be found? Highly unlikely. This might be Red Rackham's secondary theme, as he is along on the chase too (as we saw in the trailer). What do you think?

2:24-2:30 Tintin’s Theme [b Version]

2:34-2:39 Tintin’s Theme [b Version]

2:58-3:02 Tintin’s Theme [b Version]

3:38-3:41 Tintin’s Theme [A Version]

4:17-4:36 Tintin’s Theme [A Version]

4:45-4:48 Tintin’s Theme [b Version]

4:55-5:07 Tintin’s Theme [b Version]

5:13-5:19 Tintin’s Theme [A Version]

dfenton85 has seen the film as well

Then HELP!!! anyone who has seen the film! :lol:

And yes Josh the bad guy theme theory could be quite valid since I think the theme appears in sections/scenes where Sakkharine and his cronies are present.

I think i really want to see the film right now.

I am hoping to see it on Friday!

And by then, I probably know the whole OS album by heart! :lol:

We want those detailed notes afterwards, you hear me! :stick:

And yes Josh the bad guy theme theory could be quite valid since I think the theme appears in sections/scenes where Sakkharine and his cronies are present.

Also, of course, JW is such a master when it comes to creating themes for various characters, you just listen to the examples very carefully... and ask yourself: "Does this REALLY represent such and such a character?" :)

I am starting to doubt that this does represent Tintin. Too sneaky, too mischievous, too overall bad somehow...

I doubt it's a bad guys theme because of its prominent use in "The Adventures of Tintin"

But like filmmusic said, I don't think these are the same themes! I don't hear this theme in the first track...

Hmm, can you provide specific examples with timestamps?

Here, I made notations of the 2 themes.

As I said, all the tintin themes (version b) in all the tracks (as many as I've heard of), are a different theme from the one in track 1 that you notate again as Tintin's theme (version B).

they have intervallic-rhythmic relations, but they are different.

tintinb.jpg

the first theme, it's from marlinspike hall track. the 2nd phrase might appear a bit different in other renditions. Although i think mostly he uses the first phrase only.

Does anybody else? These are definitely not the same.

I doubt it's a bad guys theme because of its prominent use in "The Adventures of Tintin"

Well I was just about to add a mention of this. So on the other hand it would be really odd if it would be a baddie theme. A bit of a conundrum. We really need to see the film and compare notes. :lol:

filmmusic was referring to a third theme IN ADDITION to the A and B versions of Tintin's theme, which appear in track 1

Well, he said this:

by the way, the theme that you're referring as Tintin's theme B in track 1, is different from all the other b versions in the other tracks. They have relations, but they are different themes.

But whatever he meant, I still don't hear what we call here "Tintin's Theme B" in the first track...

That theme is very well recognizable, but I don't hear it in "The Adventures of Tintin." Maybe I am missing it???

Hmmm. Let me listen to the times I indicated again to see what I hear. Just gotta wait for my boss to leave for the day ;)

Okay just listened to the first track again. And I am pretty sure that theme is not in there. Only Tintin’s Theme [A Version]. I know the "B version" pretty well by now, and I'd recognize it it was there...

Hmmm. Let me listen to the times I indicated again to see what I hear. Just gotta wait for my boss to leave for the day ;)

:lol: Ok.

Okay just listened to the first track again. And I am pretty sure that theme is not in there. Only Tintin’s Theme [A Version]. I know the "B version" pretty well by now, and I'd recognize it it was there...

:lol: Ok.

Listen to the opening of the first track. The opening 3 seconds contain what we have been calling the Tintin B theme. Listen to the Escape from Karaboudjan 0:11-0:13. Can you hear the similarity?

To me they sound quite similar but I hope we can get some kind of consensus about what this motif actually stands for and if The Adventures of Tintin actually has more than the Tintin A Theme in its jazzy contours. :)

At times like these I wish I could understand musical theory.

OK I just listened to the track again. You can DEFINITELY hear the A Version at:

0:34-0:37 Tintin’s Theme [A Version]

2:16-2:18 Tintin’s Theme [A Version]

2:48-2:53 Tintin’s Theme [A Version]

And you can easily hear the B Version at:

1:49-1:53 Tintin’s Theme [b Version]

2:38-2:46 Tintin’s Theme [b Version]

I think these are more elusive versions of the B theme - altered to not be the exact same notes, but are similar:

0:00-0:53 Tintin’s Theme [b Version] (repeating behind all the other instruments over and over)

1:11-1:20 Tintin’s Theme [b Version]

1:21-1:31 Tintin’s Theme [b Version] (the most varied - almost unrecognizable)

1:58-2:10 Tintin’s Theme [b Version] (similarly highly varied version)

2:22-2:24 Tintin’s Theme [b Version] (back to the version like from the very beginning of the track)

2:30-2:32 Tintin’s Theme [b Version] (again)

---

You can also here Snowy's thematic idea for literally 1 second between 3:30 and 3:31 of The Clash of the Cranes :up:

You're right! Thanks for that, I updated the list!

Yes those are definitely the two recognizable musical ideas from the 1st track. The B Theme of which the 1st track performance presents more of an opening each time is a bit more mischievous and suspenceful. I think it is similar to some of the renditions of the motif we have been calling Tintin's B Theme heard on e.g. Escape from Karaboudjan and the Pursuit of the Falcon.

You know you guys COULD wait a few days until you've seen a movie instead of wasting time speculating about what theme is for who or what ;)

You know you guys COULD wait a few days until you've seen a movie instead of wasting time speculating about what theme is for who or what ;)

You mean there are other ways to pass time than speculate on the themes of The Adventures of Tintin?!! Why doesn't anyone tell me these things?!! :o

OK I just listened to the track again. You can DEFINITELY hear the A Version at:

0:34-0:37 Tintin’s Theme [A Version]

2:16-2:18 Tintin’s Theme [A Version]

2:48-2:53 Tintin’s Theme [A Version]

And you can easily hear the B Version at:

1:49-1:53 Tintin’s Theme [b Version]

2:38-2:46 Tintin’s Theme [b Version]

I think these are more elusive versions of the B theme - altered to not be the exact same notes, but are similar:

0:00-0:53 Tintin’s Theme [b Version] (repeating behind all the other instruments over and over)

1:11-1:20 Tintin’s Theme [b Version]

1:21-1:31 Tintin’s Theme [b Version] (the most varied - almost unrecognizable)

1:58-2:10 Tintin’s Theme [b Version] (similarly highly varied version)

2:22-2:24 Tintin’s Theme [b Version] (back to the version like from the very beginning of the track)

2:30-2:32 Tintin’s Theme [b Version] (again)

The A version is not an issue. That's clear as crystal.

What you call the B Theme in the first track might indeed be a further theme of Tintin (or a continuation of the A Theme), but this is NOT the same as what you have been calling Tintin's B Theme in Pursuit or Karaboudjan. Listen closely again. Yes, they are somewhat similar, but they are definitely different. ;)

___

Okay, listened to both themes again, and they are quite different actually. The so-called "B Theme" in Pursuit or Karaboudjan always invites the B-section, the three creeping downward flow of notes. The theme in the first track doesn't; it wouldn't even fit.

Listen to the opening of the first track. The opening 3 seconds contain what we have been calling the Tintin B theme. Listen to the Escape from Karaboudjan 0:11-0:13. Can you hear the similarity?

To me they sound quite similar but I hope we can get some kind of consensus about what this motif actually stands for and if The Adventures of Tintin actually has more than the Tintin A Theme in its jazzy contours. :)

At times like these I wish I could understand musical theory.

Yeah, I know what you're talking about, but they are not the same, as I said above.

You don't need to study musical theory for that, really. It's just JW having fun. ;)

Yeah, I know what you're talking about, but they are not the same, as I said above.

You don't need to study muscial theory for that, really. It's just JW having fun. ;)

Actually knowing musical theory would help since you could spot musical relations in a whole different way than by listening to by ear alone. Williams' music is always thematically quite clear but he does have these subtleties in the mix every once in a while. Thematic writing is more than making the music happy or sad as the scene dictates but also manipulating the material and varying it which can take it to a quite a different direction and form than the original version. As it has been repeated a few times here by me and others, let's just wait and see the film first to get a better picture of what this motif might stand for.

But that is what I explained with my depiction of the 2 themes.

It's NOT the same theme in The Adventures of Tintin track.

You don't need to study muscial theory for that, really. It's just JW having fun. ;)

Actually knowing musical theory would help since you could spot musical relations in a whole different way than by listening to by ear alone. Williams' music is always thematically quite clear but he does have these subtleties in the mix every once in a while. Thematic writing is more than making the music happy or sad as the scene dictates but also manipulating the material and varying it which can take it to a quite a different direction and form than the original version. As it has been repeated a few times here by me and others, let's just wait and see the film first to get a better picture of what this motif might stand for.

Well, this is film music, and this is not that complex (say, like some classical pieces might be), and that's by necessity. If the music were that complex, the audience would have trouble following the film because they would be distracted by the music. What you hear and instantly recognize are the themes, and they serve a purpose. Of course, you might have to listen to the cues a couple of times to really get into them, but if you need to study musical theory to get all the connections etc., then that's going too far. ;)