The Adventures of Tintin MOVIE Discussion thread

Jay

This is a placeholder thread so people who have actually seen the movie can discuss it starting Sunday.

Since a lot of people won't be able to stay away even if they haven't see it yet, especially spoiler-y bits should still be spoiler blocked for now.

• Replies 332
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So, Haddock dies in the film? That was unexpected. But not as much as Dupont and Dupond (or is it Dupond and Dupont?) betraying Tintin! And don't get me started on Calculus stabbing Snowy. That was an akward scene indeed.

;)

I absolutely love this movie!!!!

But....

When i came into the cinema room, the trailers started playing, but no image. Only sound. Somebody knocked on the projector room's window and then they fixed it.

Then the movie starts playing. The 3d is all screwed up. After 15 minutes this cinema guy says the film is cancelled. I leave the room. Guy tells me they fixed it. I enter the room again. Watch the movie.

I like the humor in the film.

Haddock is portrayes awesomely in the film.

The 3D is awesome.

The characters look like their comic book counterparts but with that extra human touch.

The animation of Snowy is amazing! Truly wonderful.

SPOILERS!!!!! DO NOT READ IF YOU WANT THE FILM TO BE COMPLETELY SPOILED!!!!!

I love the opening scene. It's very cool. Especially with JW's music playing. I like the animation.

Hergé makes a drawing of the comic book Tintin at the market!

The Unicorn flashbacks are Fata Morgana's that Haddock sees.

The Milanese Nightingale (Bianca Castafiore) is used to steal the third Unicorn model, Omar Ben Salaad has it.

I had to cry during the part when Haddock says you never should give up. (the music playing during this scene is The Captain's Counsel)

The Crane Fight is a fantastic scene. (This is the perfect moment for you to die, Haddock! *dramatic JW music plays*)

The film ends with the start of their second adventure!

So, Alexander, I didn't see the spoilers, but do you think this is a much better movie than Indy 4? Is it nostalgic of the good old adventure films like Raiders etc.?

It's 100x better than Indy 4! It's certainly

nostalgic of the good old adventure films like Raiders etc.

Alexander, how were the action scenes in the film, were they all well-made and exciting?

Very exciting!

There is defenitly going to be a second movie.

Sensational! Sounds like Spielberg must have loved the score then. I assume all the tracking is probably a result of recording the bulk of the score when the film was in such a primitive state, editing wise.

Just came back from the screening...

The film is really good. Probably closer to Raiders in spirit than the last Indiana Jones outing itself (in fact there are many nods to that film). It's been a while since Spielberg delievered such an energetic and effortlessly fun adventure. It has to be said though: this is NOT an even movie with grander than life narrative of apocalyptic proportions. It fact it seems like matinee serials. You know, a new adventure every week. This is also a kid's film, lighthearted and old-fashioned. The audience seemed to have a lot of fun as they laughed a lot. The performances in the film a very good all around. Jamie Bell and Andy Serkis give their characters a lot of heart. Daniel Craig gets a little less to do, but you can almost forget that it's him.

I thought the animation looked really nice. I was impressed with the artificial lighting, which give the film a very retro, almost noir-ish vibe. You can tell it's been made with 3D in mind as many shots are designed to show off the technology (camera movement and background stuff). Spielberg had fun with this one, clearly. I watched it in 2D though and it looks good as well. The only thing that bothers me about these things is that the eyes of the characters still feel disturbingly "dead" to me. Don't get me wrong, it's not Beowulf again, but I there is still about CG animation that I find off-putting. This is minor issue.

The music. All of the essential music is on the album. The score, not surprisingly, is a big part of what makes the movie so endearing. No, there is no big statement of Tintin's theme in it. In fact, I would say it's the Unicorn's theme that's driving the movie. And while I wouldn't say it is exactly the loudest mix, it certainly better showcases music than the likes of Prisoner of Azkaban, Kingdom of the Crystal Skull or Star Wars prequels. The music is there and, for the most part, you can hear it. The film feels so much more classier and old school because of it. All the nods to the old Williams help to sell it (like the big crescendo at 5:38 into track 9 on the album). The Adventure Continues is the OST's The Adventures of Mutt, basically. It is the concert arrangement of the theme that appears in one scene of the film. Picking Pockets is the first cue of the film and a French-like accordion source cue. The title sequence (as presented on track 1) harkens back to Catch Me If You Can title sequence (both musically and visually) and segues directly into that cue so they kind of feel like one thing. This, or it could be also another slapstick-comedy scene in the film later on. Either way, it's not a huge loss.

I had a fun time, probably moreso than from watching any other blockbuster film this year. Better even than Deathly Hallows and Rise Of The Planet Of The Apes, the only other two films of this kind I liked. The secret of the film is that it doesn't have to be huge to entertain. In fact it feels much smaller scope-wise than most films (think Pixar's Up). I liked that.

Hope it does well, because I'd like to see the second one. :)

Karol

I already said that, but the film reminds me of Raiders of the Lost Ark in so many ways. Some of the sequences, scoring choices (not the whole score, but some of the bits), the plot even. There are also elements of his other films (Indiana Jones and CMIYC in particular), obviously.

Karol

Glad you liked it, Croc. I reckon I'll come out feeling about the same. I've never been expecting this movie to blow me away anyway, just honest thrills and spills with a decent dash of mystery and intrigue and I'll be happy.

Was hoping to see it this week but that's looking unlikely now seeing as we're moving house on Friday.

Just came back from the screening...

The film is really good. Probably closer to Raiders in spirit than the last Indiana Jones outing itself (in fact there are many nods to that film). It's been a while since Spielberg delievered such an energetic and effortlessly fun adventure. It has to be said though: this is NOT an even movie with grander than life narrative of apocalyptic proportions. It fact it seems like matinee serials. You know, a new adventure every week. This is also a kid's film, lighthearted and old-fashioned. The audience seemed to have a lot of fun as they laughed a lot. The performances in the film a very good all around. Jamie Bell and Andy Serkis give their characters a lot of heart. Daniel Craig gets a little less to do, but you can almost forget that it's him.

I thought the animation looked really nice. I was impressed with the artificial lighting, which give the film a very retro, almost noir-ish vibe. You can tell it's been made with 3D in mind as many shots are designed to show off the technology (camera movement and background stuff). Spielberg had fun with this one, clearly. I watched it in 2D though and it looks good as well. The only thing that bothers me about these things is that the eyes of the characters still feel disturbingly "dead" to me. Don't get me wrong, it's not Beowulf again, but I there is still about CG animation that I find off-putting. This is minor issue.

The music. All of the essential music is on the album. The score, not surprisingly, is a big part of what makes the movie so endearing. No, there is no big statement of Tintin's theme in it. In fact, I would say it's the Unicorn's theme that's driving the movie. And while I wouldn't say it is exactly the loudest mix, it certainly better showcases music than the likes of Prisoner of Azkaban, Kingdom of the Crystal Skull or Star Wars prequels. The music is there and, for the most part, you can hear it. The film feels so much more classier and old school because of it. All the nods to the old Williams help to sell it (like the big crescendo at 5:38 into track 9 on the album). The Adventure Continues is the OST's The Adventures of Mutt, basically. It is the concert arrangement of the theme that appears in one scene of the film. Picking Pockets is the first cue of the film and a French-like accordion source cue. The title sequence (as presented on track 1) harkens back to Catch Me If You Can title sequence (both musically and visually) and segues directly into that cue so they kind of feel like one thing. This, or it could be also another slapstick-comedy scene in the film later on. Either way, it's not a huge loss.

I had a fun time, probably moreso than from watching any other blockbuster film this year. Better even than Deathly Hallows and Rise Of The Planet Of The Apes, the only other two films of this kind I liked. The secret of the film is that it doesn't have to be huge to entertain. In fact it feels much smaller scope-wise than most films (think Pixar's Up). I liked that.

Hope it does well, because I'd like to see the second one. :)

Karol

Great review! Thanks.

No, there is no big statement of Tintin's theme in it.

There's a big statement of Tintin's theme in "The Pursuit of the Falcon" at 4:17, not sure what this equates to in the film, but you can't get much bigger than that.

Tim

A great review Karol! I am more enthusiastic about this movie than ever before.

"Big" as understood by king mark. ;)

BTW that statement is amazing in the film, given what it accompanies.

Karol

Ah yes the KM's dreaded übercool statements of Tintin's theme missing from the OST. No concert version either. :P

There is one cool statement that is missing from the OST. But it's not exactly... big.

Karol

I assume you mean the plane cue other people have mentioned?

Nope there is a scene where

Tintin is sneaking to the communication room aboard the ship. Just before the escape scene.

. But it might be just me that likes it.

Can't remember what plane statement you're referring to.

Karol

Nope there is a scene where

Tintin is sneaking to the communication room aboard the ship. Just before the escape scene.

. But it might be just me that likes it.

Can't remember what plane statement you're referring to.

Karol

People have mentioned the scene where

Tintin shoots down the plane and apparently there is a statement of Tintin's theme there if I am not completely mistaken.

Possibly. I can't remember. I don't recall any instance in the film where I thought: "I wish that was on the album". There's nothing wrong with the missing material, but I can't say it could possibly change your view on the score as a whole. The album covers the best bits.

Also the Bianca Castafiore track plays in its entirety in the film (

to Haddock's and Snowy's horror

). Didn't notice any cuts.

Karol

Possibly. I can't remember. I don't recall any instance in the film where I thought: "I wish that was on the album". There's nothing wrong with the missing material, but I can't say it could possibly change your view on the score as a whole. The album covers the best bits.

Karol

Well this is good news as I have said before. :)

I came back from the cinema a few hours ago. I absolutely loved it! Truly. I'll post a more detailed review tomorrow. If everyone needs some opinion on themes placements and such, let me know

Some further thoughts on the movie:

1. This movie is scored wall-to-wall, really. Only very few (and brief) moments where there is NO music.

2. The aria is indeed heard in its entirety. But of course other things are going on while it is.

3. Snowy is really the secret star of this movie. He is always--and I mean ALWAYS--doing something. Even when he is just in the background while the other characters (Tintin and Haddock) are talking, Snowy is chasing his own tail, fighting with rats, fighting with other dogs, looking bored or just excited... its gets to be distracting sometimes. You want to pay attention to the other characters, but Snowy's ALWAYS doing his own thing... except when there's danger, which is when he comes to the rescue. But then, he's so cute, nobody really minds. :)

4. The theme from "The Adventure Continues," when it starts playing during the dueling scene, is one of the most powerful score/movie moments.

5. This movie might boast the best JW score since Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone. Sure reminded me of that in its exuberance, variety of themes, wall-to-wall scoring, etc.

6. If there's one thing the movie is missing, it's a hot (or at least cute) female character. I mean, there is no female character at all, except for an old landlady who appears briefly and the opera singer, who is glamorous but slightly obnoxious.

6. If there's one thing the movie is missing, it's a hot (or at least cute) female character. I mean, there is no female character at all, except for an old landlady who appears briefly and the opera singer, who is glamorous but slightly obnoxious.

I think Tintin adventures rarely have an attractive leading lady in them or a leading lady at all.

I think Tintin adventures rarely have an attractive leading lady in them or a leading lady at all.

Hmmm, yes. That might be one of the main differences between Tintin and Indy. Indy-girl yes, but Tintin-girl, no. :lol:

I just read the Seven Crystal Balls and Prisoners of the Sun and the double album had perhaps two female characters who could have been said to have a marginal side role at the beginning of the plot in the first album. Plus Castafiore. She was in it too. Tintin and Haddock deduce that she must be following them around since they keep bumping into her everywhere. :lol:

That was the plot of 5 more movies already BloodBoal. Do you think this de la Lombera broad could keep up with Tintin all that time?

Of course! She'd be the MacGuffin!

I can just see the corny final scene where Tintin exclaims: And you were the treasure all along, Lara, sorry I mean Angela.

Another thing:

7. The beginning of "Pursuit" (the aria quote) is very much like "The Nightclub Brawl" in ToD, which quotes the song "Anything Goes." In fact, it's exactly the same sort of thing. And I love it! Btw, Pursuit follows immediately after the aria track; there is no pause in between as far as I remember.

6. If there's one thing the movie is missing, it's a hot (or at least cute) female character.

That's because of people like you that we ended up having Tauriel in The Hobbit. So please, stop posting things like that. Directors of upcoming films might be reading these threads. I don't want to have an newly created character for Tintin sequel.

Because I could see them coming with such a character. Angela de la Lombera, a sexy Columbian adventuress, who seduces Tintin in order for him to help her stealing Rascar Capac's mummy, which is needed to fuel the shark submarine, that will be used to uncover Rastapopoulos' ship wreck, which holds the secret of the shooting star.

That's because of people like you that we will end up having Angela de la Lombera in the sequel. So please, stop posting things like that. Peter Jackson might be reading these threads. I don't want to have an newly created character for Tintin sequel.