The Adventures of Tintin MOVIE Discussion thread

Jay

• Replies 332
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In the US during the titles sequence they showed a picture of the cover of the comic book for Secret of the Unicorn. I assumed that would be how they revealed the title fo the film in the sequels.

saw Tintin this afternoon for 5 bucks and with free popcorn.

It's an entertaining film but it is so damned flawed.

why did they bother to film it this way, it's just so fucking ugly. And you could tell that some of it was done early and other shots done later.

This movie would have been so much more entertaining had it been shot live. It had a good enough story, and some of the visuals are just incredible.

and what the hell is the deal with the NOSES?

3 out of 4 stars.

btw the score works so well in the film. It's a better score than the movie.

Sadly joey_reasonably_small.jpg seems to be taking over from Morlock when it comes to lacking in credibility

The film looks amazing!

I never said it didn't but there was no reason to film it this way. I would look much better live action. I just hate this ugly animation style. At least the eyes look alive now. You're the one lacking credibility dude if you can't read.

I will say that you could see the sexual tension between Haddock and TinTin, you know they are going to go at it after the movie is over, probably bring in the butler too. LOL

Indeed. I don't think he realises/cares that the nose proportions are intended, ie faithful to Herge's designs.

"Jurassic Park was great, but what was with Dern's nose and chin?! Ugh, what an ugly movie!"

I don't think it would have worked as well in live action. certainly the "comic book" look would not have been achieved so well.

What exactly did you find ugly?

the sometimes photo realism, and the sometimes not so phot realism, and no Great Eye, I've never seen the comic so I didn't know Remi drew them distorted and hideous. Only Tintin had a realistic nose. It would have worked so well in live action, yes it would have lost the comic book quality but it add zero to the film, in fact it's distracting. The animation on the opera singer is just terrible, it must have been the first stuff done. I will say the pirate battle was more interesting than anything in POTC 2, 3 or 4. That was well done.

Hey I still like it even though I think it's flawed. I will buy it on blu when it comes out.

Basically, he really quite enjoyed it in spite of himself - hence the reason why his short review read like a 2 out of 4 instead of a 3 out of 4 - because he chose to dwell on his misgivings instead of the the fact that it ended up sneaking up behind him and tickling his fancy against the odds.

Bloody right he's buying the Blu-ray. And getting tickets for the sequel...

Both the plane crash and the falcon pursuit would not have worked in live action. Same for the crane fight.

the plane crash could have been done live and would have been excellent. The Falcon pursuit would have worked well live. If we can even start to accept the saber fight in KOTCS then the falcon pursuit could have worked live as well. It would have even been better.

Quint I originally gave it 2 and 1/2 stars, that's what Dave and I both agreed over but I think I was being a bit short with the score. I am hard on the film because a 2 and 1/2, 3 star film could have been a 3 and 1/2, or 4 star had it been shot live. They could have kept the same color pallet, and the same framing.

I don't have any love for Remi's comic books, I have no conception of them. But I can understand your fears. But you may also be wrong on the sequel.

Jacksons Hobbit looks Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz, and Tintin may well be forgotten. Now if SS decides to do a sequel to it then yes I'm there.

The Falcon pursuit would have worked well live.

I don't think the pursuit would have been filmable live. The brilliant thing about this film was a top of the game director taking on a 3D film and directing it like a "real" film, using the potential of CGI to do stuff "realistically" that couldn't be done in real life. And I think the Falcon pursuit is the best example of that.

Tintin probably will be forgotten, but only in the same way that Pirates of the Caribbean will be.

Movies of their time; not timeless movies.

But there still might be a distinction to be made where quality is concerned. Which is always something worthwhile.

I don't think the pursuit would have been filmable live. The brilliant thing about this film was a top of the game director taking on a 3D film and directing it like a "real" film, using the potential of CGI to do stuff "realistically" that couldn't be done in real life. And I think the Falcon pursuit is the best example of that.

you're wrong, I'm shocked at the lack of faith. There is virtually nothing that cannot be filmed these days.

you're wrong, I'm shocked at the lack of faith. There is virtually nothing that cannot be filmed these days.

Correction: You could perhaps do that scene in a live action film, but it'd still be 99% CGI.

I generally agree with Joey on Tintin. The film as a whole exists at a very uncomfortable juncture of photo realistic environments with near-cartoony characters and cartoony direction. This becomes especially glaring in the more over the top sequences, because there's a huge disparity between the real environment and the over the top camera work and nonsense going on.

They should have had the balls to either go more Herge, more cartoony, or go for live-action. Unfortunately, they did this by committee and found a strange middle ground that works in some places and doesn't work in a lot of others.

I enjoyed the movie, more so than Joey did, but I I don't imagine this will age well.

Also, why does Haddock not smoke his pipe?

I generally agree with Joey on Tintin. The film as a whole exists at a very uncomfortable juncture of photo realistic environments with near-cartoony characters and cartoony direction. This becomes especially glaring in the more over the top sequences, because there's a huge disparity between the real environment and the over the top camera work and nonsense going on.

I have to say, I quite enjoyed that of the film. It's one of the reasons I find this film is seen like you read a Tintin book. Same for the fast pace and the length of the film.

If you want to stay faithful to Hergé, specially the later Hergé, the environments are going to look realistic, the people cartoony, and the action over the top.

Then again I consider this film to look quite beautiful. Specially the colours and lightning.

Also, why does Haddock not smoke his pipe?

I think he did.

I'm still not really sure I know what Joe is on about.

It's a cartoon. wanting it to be live action is like saying Disney's Beauty And The Beast should have been done in live action..

Also again the action sequences would not have worked in live action.

The mind would not have believe Haddock climbing on the hood of a aircraft in flight and breath into the engine to make it run

Animation gave Spielberg a freedom to do scenes like that and make them work.

i prefer a fake CGI falcon in a CGI enviroment than a fake CGI falcon a real set...

And the things they do to the poor beast, it would be impossible to do with PETA.

the scene could have been done in live action but it will more restrained and not as fun.

i prefer a fake CGI falcon in a CGI enviroment than a fake CGI falcon a real set...

And the things they do to the poor beast, it would be impossible to do with PETA.

the scene could have been done in live action but it will more restrained and not as fun.

Yeah it is such a fun, breathless and wonderfully choreographed action sequence. I love how it builds and builds to nearly absurd levels towards the end yet is still completely in the spirit of the film. :)

No BloodBoal, I said the film not the comic so don't you start on that.

if they did it with gwaihir (ROTK) standars

Amazing considering the poor people at WETA got to know about the eagles scenes relatively late in the game and they turned out magnificently.

the eagles were not scheduled to be in ROTK from the beggining?

Gwaihir in FOTR is less than stellar...

PJ did not mention "The Eagles Are Coming!" scene until quite late in the post production and they were already swamped with enormous amount of work. :P

Hadn't they read the book or script?

Hey I am just quoting Jim Rygiel the visual effects supervisor from the RotK EE documentary.

I finally saw Tintin over the holidays. The theater was relatively empty on a weekday afternoon. I've been surprised at how poorly its doing at the box office - I never would have thought, as Box Office Mojo is predicting, that War Horse would do better.

Having never read the comics, I had a completely fresh view of the subject matter, and I thoroughly enjoyed it. The action was top-notch, the pacing was great, the characters were fun, and the story was clever. When it ended, it left me wanting more, which is absolutely a good thing - I hardly think it was "too short," as some people are asserting.

The animation was light years ahead of Polar Express, which turned me off of the motion-capture animation initially. Tintin was beautifully shot and I liked that the animation bordered on reality at times.

The music was a lot of fun - as others have pointed out, it was reminiscent of Catch Me if You Can and KOTCS. I haven't listened to the OST yet, but I'm severely tempted to buy it now.

The one thing Tintin had against it was that it had a childlike sense of adventure that would have captivated me much more strongly if I had discovered it at a younger age. As it is, Tintin doesn't occupy some special place in my heart, so it will have to fight with the dozens of other characters and worlds that have been introduced to me in the last few years. I enjoyed the Sherlock Holmes and Mission Impossible sequels just as much. Still, Tintin is a worthy film and I hope it sees more success.

The fact that War Horse is doing better than The Adventures of TinTin is just baffling.

Anyhow, I saw TinTin last night. Very impressive, although I was a bit lost by some plot points that were being thrown at me faster than I could digest, but I caught up pretty easily.

Do they put something in the dog food in Belgium? That Snowy is more intelligent than most people I've met. I wish he was my dog!

I'm very interested in reading the comics now, so where would be the best place to start? TinTin in the Land of the Soviets?

No need to skip anything. If anything those two early stories teach you how people were in the early XX century.

BTW I just saw on amazon that the BD-DVD release is set to be released in 19 March, not february as previously reported :(

Dude, I understand what you're saying, I just disagreed on the Doom comment :lol:

I'm reading several books from that time (late XIX until the 30's) and yes, you can see the different thinking on several matters.