Cinema Musica debuts 30 second War Horse samples (UPDATE: EXCLUSIVE SAMPLES now up at JWFAN as well!)

Jay

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They also send out copies of the CD (WQXR and Cinema Musica clearly got one), but we haven't gotten ours yet

We've already speculated that track 15 is indeed the finale and the end credits, while track 16 is a concert arrangement.

That's pretty obvious now since track 14's 30 second sample matches an exact portion of The Homecoming.

I love the sample for "Plowing". Glad to finally hear where that epic end of the trailer comes from.

ok, this sound great, can't wait

About Plowing ...I think I hear an edit just before the trailer section kicks in. I hope they didn't microedit something important

Everyone misuses the term microedit here. Microedit refers to miniscule (maybe even less than a second) edits designed to slightly bring music to sync up against a picture. Not the same as removing a 10 second section, for example.

The action music in the samples (and broadcast) reminds me a bit of STII:TWOK and STIII:TSFS's action material with the snare rythms.

I can't wait to hear the "trailer piece" in its entirely...

You mean the statement of what we think is the main theme, which is in the middle portion of the trailer?

I can't wait to hear the "trailer piece" in its entirely...

You mean the statement of what we think is the main theme, which is in the middle portion of the trailer?

Yes exactly!

I assume that's the Main Theme... although it might not necessarily be the theme that's heard most frequently in the movie.

Yes it really sounds wonderful even from those short snippets. Full of heart yet I feel it does not cross the line into over sentimentality. :)

Ricard's a busy guy. I wasn't going to pre-announce them but once Cinema Musica beat us to the punch I figured what the hell. I still shouldn't have.

Just have patience, they'll be up soon.

This is somewhat beside the point, but, in all due utmost respect to Alexander, on the War Horse page, My rip of the first trailer is a bit better quality (no clicks, vocal bass etc.) than his.

Alexander's: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XvQtlNO3nP4&feature=related'>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XvQtlNO3nP4&feature=related

Mine: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XvQtlNO3nP4

That's the last part of the main theme, where the strings are really building in the background. That's in the Plowing track.

Also, it's abundantly clear now that The Homecoming is an edited suite. Track 4, "Learning the Call", the 30 second clip in our new samples is directly in The Homecoming. Along with a portion of track 14 from the Cinema Musica clip that I mentioned before.

I've been avoiding WH samples for fear of reading the spoilers in the tracklist, so the JWFan exclusive samples were my first taste of the entire score (I had heard the previously releasedd 16 minutes). Wow, these sound great! Lyrical and gorgeous, but I'm also expecting some killer action music. Based on the samples, the action music sounds better than Tintin so far. As a whole I'm not sure - they both sound great.

I think that closest thing to it is Far and Away mixed with Patriot

K.M. Wondering why sometimes he gets a +1 flag in the reply window and can't type anything

I'm so glad we had the radio show, because the samples released so far just don't do justice to this score. I wonder if any samples can actually.

I'm so glad we had the radio show, because the samples released so far just don't do justice to this score. I wonder if any samples can actually.

I think that with any score, but especially with scores that have a lot of slow music that builds, samples will never be accurate. If you chose the last 30 seconds of "Adventures on Earth" for a sample, it'd be cool, but nowhere near the effect of hearing the last 30 seconds in context with the rest of the score. The build up is crucial, I think.

30 seconds gives a little glimpse and teaser of what the music is going to be, nothing more. At best of times the music happens to be so striking and expressive during the entire track that it leaps at you positively from those 30 seconds and sometimes the selection happens to be in the spot where the piece is gathering up speed or winding down and you do not get any sense of the whole from it.

The JWFan clips had some good portions but e.g. the track 15 sample was very anynomous for a piece that is supposed to be the ending of the film because it was chosen from a section that was quiet and building up to something.

But this score is going to be absolutely beautiful. All the clips positively glow with such energy and life be it pastoral scenes or tension or horror they are depicting.

You know what I hope.

That The Homecoming is actually the Finale of the movie (it sure sounds like it and not a concert arrangement) and that the End Credits are unreleased and contain music not on the OST (very easily rippable for expanded score)

I also hope the noble trailer music is in a lot of cues

Whooo, waiting for the whole OST is going to be HARD!

In Empire magazine, just out, there's an article on War Horse and an interview with Speilberg. It quotes him as saying in August:

"He's [JW] got three themes in the movie, each one tops the one before."

That's a little at odds with what he says in the OST booklet:

"When I first heard John’s sketches of the four central themes for War Horse, I didn’t need my memories of the film to underscore the feelings I was having."

I think such small over sights happen very often. He is not elaborating on the subject in the magazine I take it, talking in broad terms.

Wait, was that just Germany?

https://www.amazon.d...19572064&sr=1-1

Okay. Now it's back to January again. HUH. :huh:

I swear, these guys at amazon or at Sony Classical are messing with us!

Plus the site seems to have the the track list of Adrian Sutton's War Horse album.

Scandinavian site CDON has the release date marked 23rd of November.

I love the samples for tracks 5, 7 and 15 the most so far. It almost feels like some of the music from this album, especially the stuff that's obviously for representing the happy times and the actual landscape, is what John Williams LOTR Shire music would sound like :P Some of the action music has a bit of a LOTR vibe as well. Obviously with Williams orchestration which is just wonderful! :woop:

Someone else in the room was watching a shark attack video while I was listening to the samples and it used the cracken music from 'Pirates of the Caribbean'. Such a huge contrast :lick:

I also hope the noble trailer music is in a lot of cues

Yeah, that's a bit odd to me. I haven't been hearing it much in the samples, the "Plowing" sample on Cinema Musica being the notable exception. And it only gets a relatively brief showing in all 8 minutes of "The Homecoming". Considering it's really the showcase of both trailers, I'm guessing/hoping it appears more in the score than the samples indicate. It's a lovely theme.

Ryan Adams from Awards Daily has just posted the entire Tintin score on his webpage and he said in the comments that he will post the full War Horse score later today, so keep your eyes open. Here's the post:

http://www.awardsdai...ack-for-tintin/

and Ryan wrote this on the 11th post:

"Ryan Adams says:

October 29, 2011 at 6:00 am

We’ll post the War Horse tracks later today — I wanted to leave some space between the two films."

Ryan Adams from Awards Daily has just posted the entire Tintin score on his webpage and he said in the comments that he will post the full War Horse score later today, so keep your eyes open. Here's the post:

http://www.awardsdai...ack-for-tintin/

and Ryan wrote this on the 11th post:

"Ryan Adams says:

October 29, 2011 at 6:00 am

We’ll post the War Horse tracks later today — I wanted to leave some space between the two films."

Uhm, isn't he merely referring to the radio show tracks..?

Ryan Adams from Awards Daily has just posted the entire Tintin score on his webpage and he said in the comments that he will post the full War Horse score later today, so keep your eyes open.

You mean entire OST, not entire SCORE, right?

Ryan Adams from Awards Daily has just posted the entire Tintin score on his webpage and he said in the comments that he will post the full War Horse score later today, so keep your eyes open.

You mean entire OST, not entire SCORE, right?

Actually, he refers the 'the War Horse tracks', which I interpret as 'the War Horse tracks that have been released so far' (as in: heard on the radio show last week).